Please Help? I don't know what to do about this cadet issue.

Started by maurer172, February 12, 2011, 02:27:50 AM

AngelWings

Quote from: peter rabbit on April 01, 2011, 09:27:18 PM
QuoteHas others have said, report the person, and has I say, if you feel the need. Ignore it until it becomes something serious enough where it happens everyday/often.

This is part of the problem - it is ignored until it becomes something serious. Why not "nip it in the bud", immediately let the person know that type of conduct will not be permitted in CAP?
Some people made have been in a bad mood, and could have been looking to let some steam off. If you know the person is a good person, then reporting them might be a bad choice. If they are a bad person, reporting them would be a great choice. Over-treating is just has bad has under-treating. It takes alot of critical thinking to be balanced in treating a case like such. Last thing is that zero-tolerance thinking breaks up critical thinking, and reporting at the speed of light may cause a few more problems, the biggest one being a suspension and a bad record for a good person, like I hinted before.

MO10

some things to consider:
- has it continued?
- was this person just "running their mouth?"
- is the cause for the text known, and did your actions somehow cause the response?
- were there threats of violence?
- do you (honestly) feel concerned for your safety?

None of the questions are meant to undermine or belittle your feelings.  Someone mentioned earlier that critical thinking needs to be applied to the problem so that any response is appropriate.  Many times this type of incident is not one sided.  For example if you responded in kind to those texts you could appear to be a willing participant in the exchange and possibly not that intimidated by this person.  That perspective is from that of criminal enforcement.

I would recommend as others have report the incident to your command so they are aware.  This too should help in keeping that behavior in check while on CAP activities.  Something else to consider is whether or not the incident occurred while on CAP time.  If it didn't it's complete and proper resolution is a matter for your parents and possibly your local law enforcement.

The CyBorg is destroyed

There's a real fine line with this matter...and first off, I am not impartial, having been the victim of bullying from grade school through high school.  By the time I got into high school I was so depressed and missed so much school because of it that I got kicked out.  However, I did go back and get my GED and later a degree.  As I said earlier, at 45 I still feel the effects, mostly in the form of PTSD.

MO10 said "was this person just 'running their mouth?'"  I used to hear almost those exact words from so-called "school administrators," who would tell me and my parents, "kids are just being kids...they shoot their mouth off all the time...just ignore it."

(Incidentally, I DID finally strike back, but I'll decline to elaborate on that.)

MO10 - sorry, not meaning to pick on you - also said "did your actions somehow cause the response?"  I remember being told by several of my antagonists that it didn't matter if I fought back or stayed quiet to them.

Parents could complain all they wanted then.  My dad went to the principal several times, first trying to be reasonable and finally getting so angry over the way they were mishandling it (after all, many of my antagonists were "good boys" from "good homes" - meaning, they had more money) that the principal told him to leave or he was calling the police.

But also, consider the times - it was the '70s/'80s, there was no Facebook, instant messaging or cell phones.  The closest equivalent was writing Bravo Sierra about someone on a bathroom wall.  Also, at my grade school if you got caught fighting, they took you down to the gym, put boxing gloves on you and let you fight it out (with the school nurse supervising).  No way would that be allowed now.

A big reason why I take part in CAP is to hopefully make some sort of safe place for young people, with the focus on PREVENTION.

I would rather apply constructive, corrective discipline to a bad actor rather than see just one kid grow up being someone's favourite target.  BTDT.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MO10

Cyborg I agree with you.  I don't feel picked on.  As I invesitgate this type of crime I find the situation is not (always) as black and white as the reporting party would like me believe.  Those questions I posed are intended to help gain more incite to the problem.  I find it is difficult to rectify a problem without knowing what the problem is and how it came to be.

Hawk200

How many people have seen the video of Casey Haynes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI0XvPbJOu0&feature=player_embedded

Can't say I agree with the violence, but I really can't fault the kid for his response. However, I certainly can't agree with the boy being suspended for his actions when the school had a history of saying "Just tell a teacher." He had been "telling a teacher", and nothing was done. He took the only action left to him.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 15, 2011, 01:55:41 AM

Can't say I agree with the violence, but I really can't fault the kid for his response. However, I certainly can't agree with the boy being suspended for his actions when the school had a history of saying "Just tell a teacher." He had been "telling a teacher", and nothing was done. He took the only action left to him.

BODYSLAM!!! But seriously, good on him.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I was a sophomore in high school, one day I was out sick.

It was a Friday, and when I went back to school on Monday, I heard something that was almost unbelievable.

One of the quietest guys in my shop class had finally had-it-up-to-here and kicked the living SNOT out of one of the worst big-mouth rectal cavity bullies in the class, if not the school.  The jerk carried black-and-blue marks to prove it.

I congratulated the guy who did it...but he seemed embarrassed that he'd done it.  I loathed the bully and would have paid good money to have seen this quiet kid chastise the bigmouth.

Of course, since he "threw the first punch" he got nailed for it by the powers that be.  Never mind what led up to it on the other guy's behalf...all they cared about was who got the first lick in.

The best way to prevent bullying, especially in CAP, is prevention.

If that doesn't work, intervention.

A bully will be a bully until s/he is called on it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 15, 2011, 07:03:34 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on April 15, 2011, 01:55:41 AM

BODYSLAM!!! But seriously, good on him.
I've got a lot of respect for the guy. He slammed the brat, took a few steps away, and stopped to make sure the kid didn't come after him. When the brat didn't, he turned and walked away. I could understand if he just beat the crap out of him, but I wouldn't have much respect for him after that.

What a lot of bullies don't seem to realize is that someday someone will respond in a matter that leaves them seriously out matched or out in the cold. You may not get bruised now, but your behavior can cost you a lot later in life.

Chappie

Covered this topic in a Character Development session conducted this past week at a local squadron.  Used a film clip of a "classic" scene from "The Christmas Story" where the voice-over spoke of three categories: bullies, toadies (bully's group) and the victims as well as the Haynes clip.  Discussed the characteristics of both bullies and victims...had a bully cycle slide.  Great discussion time with the cadets on this hot topic. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

AngelWings

Quote from: peter rabbit on April 01, 2011, 09:27:18 PM
QuoteHas others have said, report the person, and has I say, if you feel the need. Ignore it until it becomes something serious enough where it happens everyday/often.

This is part of the problem - it is ignored until it becomes something serious. Why not "nip it in the bud", immediately let the person know that type of conduct will not be permitted in CAP?
True. But good people who are having problems shouldn't be in the same crosshairs has the bad people.

peter rabbit

QuoteTrue. But good people who are having problems shouldn't be in the same crosshairs has the bad people.

Please give an example.

AngelWings

Quote from: peter rabbit on April 24, 2011, 04:34:52 PM
QuoteTrue. But good people who are having problems shouldn't be in the same crosshairs has the bad people.

Please give an example.
One of my peers, who I know is a really good person from experience, was having a bad day. I saw him in a hallway at my school and something got him to yell at this kid. I learned that he was given a detention because of it. This added to the problems he was having and he left the school in disgust. He ,later that week, was back to normal, but was upset because he got a detention. He explained to me (after offering out my hand in friendship) that he just needed someone to talk to.

Майор Хаткевич

Maybe not the best example.

From personal history, I'd say it's a bit unfair when I tell bullies to "go away" when they are picking on someone, get punched for my trouble with a nice shiner right before encampment, and get the same punishment for having the nerve to defend myself...

peter rabbit

So - Littleguy - you're saying there should be no consequences for someone's actions because they were having a bad day?

lordmonar

Are we still talking about the OP....or are we now just talking about bullying?

Bullying is bad....ummmm okay....so don't do it....umm okay.

As for how we or anyone handles discipline......we as in all things....it is relative.  No one thinks what they did is all that bad....and most supervisors don't have all the information to make the "best" decision.  But we all do the best we can with the information at hand and with our own mission/goal/agendas at heart.

Lots of good people have been burned by blanket rules that did not forsee their particular situation.   But we live in a system of rules and we have to abide by them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

Quote from: lordmonar on April 26, 2011, 12:33:29 AM
Bullying is bad....ummmm okay....so don't do it....umm okay.

The proper way to say it is "mmmkay", as in "Drugs are bad, mmmkay?" ;D.

AngelWings

Quote from: peter rabbit on April 26, 2011, 12:12:19 AM
So - Littleguy - you're saying there should be no consequences for someone's actions because they were having a bad day?
I'm saying that if you know a person is good then instead of giving them a harsh punishment that could scar a clean record, you should seek a better, more teach/learn talk about what the mistake and how to avoid making it again. Everyone makes mistakes, and a person who is able to learn correctly should very well be given a chance to do just that, learn from their mistake. I remember when I first joined this forum I said some stupid things, but rather than having someone flame the situation and kick me off, they talked to me, and I learned that I should think before I speak, and I should avoid saying things that beg people to argue with me. Anyways, if someone acts the same way again, then a harsh punishment is suitable for that person because they need to be taught the hard way not to do something, like in this case, bully someone for no reason. I'm not sticking about for anybody, and I don't know the aggressor here so I all I can do is offer my wisdom and my experiences.

DogCollar

Rarely is aggressive behavior caused by having "a bad day."  I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but bullying is not a "one and done" behavior.  There is almost always a long pattern of misbehavior that is learned most often at home.  Dad may not be a physical bully, but may lay the onerous expectation of "to be a real man...you've got to be tough" on a son.

I was also bullied all through middle school.  I tried anything and everything I could think of to get the bully who was tormenting me to stop.  He went to a different high school than me and life got a lot better.  Almost 35 years later I encountered him when he was a patient in the hospital I work in.  I is a hard core homeless man, raging alcoholic, and suffers both mental and physical impairments.  I don't know the whole story and he certainly didn't remember me.  Instead of feeling vindicated or superior, I couldn't help but feel very sad for him.  While he made me miserable for three years, in the long term, he has suffered the worse misery.

We know that every bully doesn't become homeless.  Some never change, most grow up and learn to live within societies rules.  Adults have, especially in CAP, have an opportunity to respond to both the victims of bullying and the bullies themselves in ways that sometimes can influence positive change.

Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP