2B for inactivity?

Started by Ron1319, January 07, 2011, 08:23:43 PM

Ron1319

The 35-3 and the form 2B allow for termination for failure to attend three consecutive meetings without an excuse.  I have a handful of cadets who's membership has not lapsed yet but are still on my roster and making my "no promotion for 120 days" report harder to sort through since I keep having to distinguish between them and cadets who are active and not progressing.  Does anybody scrub their roster in this way?  Would someone terminated for lack of interest have any issue rejoining later?
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

Eclipse

Quote from: Ron1319 on January 07, 2011, 08:23:43 PM
The 35-3 and the form 2B allow for termination for failure to attend three consecutive meetings without an excuse.  I have a handful of cadets who's membership has not lapsed yet but are still on my roster and making my "no promotion for 120 days" report harder to sort through since I keep having to distinguish between them and cadets who are active and not progressing.  Does anybody scrub their roster in this way?  Would someone terminated for lack of interest have any issue rejoining later?

Yes, for both seniors and cadets (seniors usually get partronized, cadets, until recently were "000'ed".

A returning cadet (or senior) for that matter could potentially have an issue at least as much as they will need to explain why
they are suddenly re-interested in CAP after being term'ed for lack of activity.

Many will have legitimate excuses, some won't.

As a commander I would also want to see some sort of plan with milestones that the cadet would adhere to.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

I'd make a few phone calls to the Cadets and/or their parents first.  It shows you are actually interested in them being there, and it makes it much more likely that you can recover any uniform/issue items if they really want to quit.  You may find that they have a legit reason for no shows - no ride, parent/family member ill, financial issues (no gas) etc.  I'm very hesitant to 2b a cadet if there is any chance that they are/may get something out of the program.  I really don't worry too much about unit stats...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Ron1319

I spent all afternoon yesterday doing exactly that.  I'd close the loop first.  I was extremely positive is all cases that we were here to help, that I'd love for them be successful in CAP, and that we'd love to have them back and an active part of the unit.  Meanwhile, they're making it very hard for me to generate meaningful statistics and making my "no promo for 120 days" report look worse than it actually is.  It's bad, but not that bad.

In an effort not to get flamed for that, I'll say more.  I'd like to manage the report to an absolute minimum and know that I had active conversations ongoing and mentors assigned to any cadets who are not progressing.  With as many cadets as are on the report right now, it's unmanageable.  I don't want to have make a list of "inactive" cadets and then go back and scratch them off every time I look at the report.  Another way of looking at it is that if I had 3 cadets on the list, then I'd notice a fourth with little effort.  Right now the number is embarrassingly high and if it one more cadet wound up on the list I wouldn't notice.  I'm using it as a tool to figure out how many of them just need a mentor, how many of them are no longer attending, and how many of them are having some problem.

For instance, one of the conversations I had last night was with a cadet who's membership was up in March and he was planning to non-renew to focus on school.  I explained my situation in 8th grade where I wasn't very interested in school, but that I also started CAP at that time and went on to be 2nd in my high school class and get an engineering degree.  I don't know if I attribute my ability to focus on school to being in CAP, but I told him that doing more exciting things might help him focus on school.  I asked him to think about it and to please come back next week so that we can have a conversation about what he's considered.  I also assured him that school is more important than CAP and that if he is going to quit in March to focus on school, he should quit now instead of waiting.
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

Ron1319

My commander has a question --  If someone is terminated before the end of their membership period for inactivity and wishes to rejoin before the end of that period, do they have to pay for full membership or do they just get reinstated?  Example - they renew in January, stop coming in March and then September comes around and they find that they really want to rejoin.  Can they be reinstated as having already paid dues until the end of their year in January?  It would seem like they could.
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

coudano

we maintain a roster with our active people
anyone who falls inactive gets moved to the inactive section of the roster

that said, when people go away for lack of interest they usually fall off at the end of their membership year

we do have a few floaters who keep renewing (more likely their parents keep renewing them every year when the notice shows up in the mail they just pay it)

i've never terminated a member just for being inactive, though.  we basically just ignore them.
no real reason CAP inc shouldn't get the donation, eh?

Ron1319

It's a management nightmare and cost me a lot of time yesterday.  The eServices report is good.  If I could LOA flag someone and they'd disappear from the reports, I'd be fine with that instead.
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

EMT-83

Your 120 day report is just that, a report.

You don't need to justify to anyone the status of members who appear there.

Ron1319

It has nothing to do with justifying it to anyone, and only to do with being able to effectively manage and have a clear picture of our status.  If there really is a two promotion a year requirement, then these are the cadets who are in danger of failing to meet that requirement and it is a very high priority issue.
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

Eclipse

Quote from: coudano on January 07, 2011, 09:44:11 PM
i've never terminated a member just for being inactive, though.  we basically just ignore them.

What do you do when your required reports like EO, safety, etc., don't = 100%.

I, for one, am not interested in having the conversation month after month. 

That is what 000 or patron is for.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2011, 11:38:52 PM
Quote from: coudano on January 07, 2011, 09:44:11 PM

What do you do when your required reports like EO, safety, etc., don't = 100%.

I, for one, am not interested in having the conversation month after month. 

That is what 000 or patron is for.

We haven't had anyone bring that up for at least 2 years...
maybe longer.

who cares.

Eclipse

Wait until your wing sits for a CI - it'll be an issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

just had one a few weeks ago
not a finding
no big deal

Eclipse

Showing again what an effective, consistently implemented process the CI/SUI is...

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

the opsec status was not the biggest coup of them all hehhh

what it shows is how people get whipped up into some big frenzy over relatively (or temporarily) important stuff.
everyone chillax; breathe in and out.  CAP will continue to go round and round
this is not an emergency.

Eclipse

Emergency?  Maybe not.

Problem, yes.  Big time.

I will continue to assert that allowing units to carry empty shirts distorts our readiness and allows unit CC's to have an inappropriate
sense of security.

Towing the line on empty shirts would be the first step in running the tighter ship most of us want.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

first of all, on a national basis what do you think is a higher priority,
$40 or $70 annually for maybe 15,000 or more of the members on our roles

Or 'distorted readiness numbers' (which should be being pulled out of Ops Quals, not general membership anyway) to all of our customers out there banging down our doors for operational capability *crickets*?

In terms of tightening the ship, people who pay but never show are hardly loosening up the ship.
We need to shape up or ship out the people who DO show up, but don't do what they are supposed to or do do what they aren't supposed to.

All that is of course beside the fact that our opsec NDA is not really authenticated.
It is literally meaningless.

IceNine

You'd be surprised how many cadets around driving age use CAP as an excuse to be out of the house without supervision.

BITD- If a cadet was to be excused I asked to talk to mom/dad, and if they were absent I would call about an hour into the meeting and ask mom/dad where they were.  You'd be surprised the responses, anywhere from they are ill to they are at the CAP meeting.

Once a cadet say's they are on our time parents are more forgiving to not answering cell phones.  That can mean anywhere from 2.5 hours a week to entire weekends where we are being used for AWOL time.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SamFranklin

When I notice someone is inactive, I ensure someone gives them a call. "Hey, we've missed you, what's up?"

I can't see any good in terminating membership among dues-paying volunteers. That sort of idea makes sense only on captalk.

Thrashed

No need to terminate, just make them patrons. CAP gets money, the person remains a CAP member.

Save the triangle thingy