BDU boots for Encampment

Started by titanII, January 04, 2011, 03:15:17 AM

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: MICT1362 on January 20, 2011, 07:09:15 PM
That is the Corcoran II.  It has the soft neck at the top.  The Corcoran I does not.  The leather comes up the boot and stops.  The Corcoran I is a "parade" boot now and has very minimal tread, because you typically don't need the traction on the parade field.

I have only seen one person in 10 years wear the Corcoran I.  Everybody else I know wears the Corcoran II or AF Marauder (the jump/jungle mix).

I suggest the Corcoran II anytime somebody asks me to suggest a boot.

-Paramedic
We have been discussing the boot listed at the top of the second page, it has almost zero traction. I wore it long enough to know it sucks in the field, and is rather uncomfortable without better inserts. I wouldn't have any probglem with the Corcoran II or the  Matterhorn or Marauder (The black Marauder, not the tan one).

MICT1362

Yep, it's a side zip version of the Corcoran I. Terrible boot for anything other than parades.

There is a possibility that somebody just found a similar boot and added the link.  Like I said, I have only met 1 person in ten years that wore this regularly.

-Paramedic

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: MICT1362 on January 20, 2011, 07:17:52 PM
Yep, it's a side zip version of the Corcoran I. Terrible boot for anything other than parades.

There is a possibility that somebody just found a similar boot and added the link.  Like I said, I have only met 1 person in ten years that wore this regularly.

-Paramedic
Back when the Army was still in BDUs i saw quite a few wearing them, and many of them have gotten hurt wearing them while training. Most of the time they just fell and got the wind knocked out of them by their body armor, but a couple actually fell down hills and such and broke bones. One guy broke two ribs when he fell on his canteen with the cup.

J.American

While I have worn my Corcorans, I have never had a problem with traction, blisters (didn't even need moleskin to break them in), or the like.  However I do use them for their intended purpose - as parade boots.  I wear them to any event where I anticipate an inspection, drill, or the like.  For events that have more of an ES or field bent, I have other boots with good tread and ankle support. 

Anyways, its just the way I wear my boots.
C/2d LT Ricketts
SER-AL-087

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: J.American on January 21, 2011, 05:24:29 AM
While I have worn my Corcorans, I have never had a problem with traction, blisters (didn't even need moleskin to break them in), or the like.  However I do use them for their intended purpose - as parade boots.  I wear them to any event where I anticipate an inspection, drill, or the like.  For events that have more of an ES or field bent, I have other boots with good tread and ankle support. 

Anyways, its just the way I wear my boots.
You are wearing them right, that is why you never have problems. They are a parade boot, not a field boot.

dogboy

Quote from: titanII on January 04, 2011, 03:15:17 AM
I currently only have a pair of all-leather combat boots with a dress-shoe-like sole. They're great for drill and parades, but they'd get trashed during my Basic Encampment. Do you think boots like the ones in the link below would be acceptable for Basic Encampment? Do you think I would have to get a mirrory shine on them in order for them to be acceptable? Your response is appreciated.

http://www.altama.com/products/3668-black-8-exospeed-ii-boot

If you are a teenager, especially a young one, you will almost certainly grow at least half a shoe size every year.  Consequently boots you buy this year probably wouldn't fit you next year.  Most Cadets outgrow their boots long, long before they are worn.

Check to see if zippered boots are permitted before you buy them. Some encampments don't allow them.

You can buy perfectly adequate boots for $40.

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=20836&tabid=548&catid=371

http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/extreme-value-all-leather-combat-boot/PPQ89+210/200307404

The later is the boot we recommend for our Cadets. It's perfectly adequate. Don't be a gear jerk.

When you receive the boots, wear them around the house for a few days being careful not to scuff them. You'll discover if they fit. If not return them.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: dogboy on January 23, 2011, 09:57:37 PM
The later is the boot we recommend for our Cadets. It's perfectly adequate. Don't be a gear jerk.

While I like those boots, I don't completely understand the gear jerk comment. I fail to see why someone is somehow a jerk for purchasing a higher quality boot for whatever reason they might have. I agree, for regular meetings and encampment those boots are probably just fine. But I would think really hard before I took a pair into the field. Does that make me a "gear jerk"? Personally, I think it just means that I care about my equipment not falling apart 2 hours into a 4 hour sortie.

IceNine

I concur with spaceman.  A great pair of boots is way too useful to be a gear queer comment.  It's not a $150 compass, or Night vision goggles.

On the cheap there's nothing better than the below.

http://www.amazon.com/Altama-Black-Combat-Vulcanized-regular/dp/B003H956N2

I started with those.  Wore them for the first 6 years of my CAP career.  Get some great insoles and you'll be just fine.

They come with really crappy leather insoles.  Buy them 1/2 to big.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

cap235629

Quote from: IceNine on January 23, 2011, 10:37:56 PM
I concur with spaceman.  A great pair of boots is way too useful to be a gear queer comment.  It's not a $150 compass, or Night vision goggles.

On the cheap there's nothing better than the below.

http://www.amazon.com/Altama-Black-Combat-Vulcanized-regular/dp/B003H956N2

I started with those.  Wore them for the first 6 years of my CAP career.  Get some great insoles and you'll be just fine.

They come with really crappy leather insoles.  Buy them 1/2 to big.

Those are the ones I was issued when I was in the Army.  They are the absolute worst thing when it comes to traction on anything wet or frozen.......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

dogboy

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 23, 2011, 10:33:50 PM

While I like those boots, I don't completely understand the gear jerk comment.

The original poster stated he needed boots for encampment. A week's encampment wouldn't put much stress on a pair of boots. Buying $120 boots that he'll outgrow in a year for encampment qualifies as "gear jerkiness" in my opinion.

AngelWings

My personal recommendation is go Altama jungle boots, like IceNine suggested. Altama is an extremely good quality company. I personally have 11" Bates paratroopers. Best looking boot, the tread is alright, and they will perform for you good enough. I will say that the Bates paratrooper is one of the highest quality boots I've ever worn. But jungle boots, espically the ones made by Altama, perform the best on the field. It is the fact that they are made with panama out-soles.
The cheapest pair of boots I've seen, which will not last you much more than 6-8 months are in the link.
http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/AC-APP-CO-JB701.htm

Yes it is an airsoft website, but that is extremely cheap for boots. It is reflective of the long time quality like I've said, but hey, if all your going to use them for is a week, they will work extremely well.
Good luck!

J.American

Check to see if zippered boots are permitted before you buy them. Some encampments don't allow them.

How could an Encampment not allow them?  They are specifically allowed in CAPM 39-1, Table 2-3.
C/2d LT Ricketts
SER-AL-087

dogboy

Quote from: J.American on January 24, 2011, 01:49:13 PM

How could an Encampment not allow them?  They are specifically allowed in CAPM 39-1, Table 2-3.

You are absolutely correct about the regulations. Regardless, some encampments have arcane rules about what Cadets can and cannot wear. For example, Cadets may be forbidden to wear shoes with synthetic, high gloss uppers.

I'm not defending these policies; I'm simply stating that they exist.

IceNine

That is a requirement that I would literally ignore.

There is absolutely no way we can ask or require people to buy new boots or other non-trivial purchases, especially when it's "just because"
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4