BDU boots for Encampment

Started by titanII, January 04, 2011, 03:15:17 AM

titanII

I currently only have a pair of all-leather combat boots with a dress-shoe-like sole. They're great for drill and parades, but they'd get trashed during my Basic Encampment. Do you think boots like the ones in the link below would be acceptable for Basic Encampment? Do you think I would have to get a mirrory shine on them in order for them to be acceptable? Your response is appreciated.

http://www.altama.com/products/3668-black-8-exospeed-ii-boot
No longer active on CAP talk

MIKE

Mike Johnston

HGjunkie

In regards to encampment boots, they need to be able to take a beating and all-day wear. These look like a decent pair. I do suggest if you're going to spend that much you look at Bates' lineup of tactical boots. linky

Protip: Buy a pair with side-zip technology.

I specifically wear this pair.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

IceNine

Second on Bates if you're going to spend the money anyway.  I wear them to work everyday as well as any time I put on BDU's and in bad weather in Blues as well.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

DakRadz

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-us/Product.mvc.aspx/8455M/0/Footwear/Mens/11-inch-Paratrooper-Side-Zip-Boot?galleryId=G-F

Legal, common sight on cadets, and with that sidezipper HG thinks is so hunky-dory ;)

Also very budget conscious if you want a good pair that's still relatively cheap.
(P.S. These are what our AD AF Capts were wearing at GAWG Encampment, just to do SAR stuff in)

Ford73Diesel

For a good work boot I'd recommend the "super boot 2" Unfortunately, I am not sure where you can find them other than the Coast Guard Uniform distribution center. They have good water protection, decent insulation for most environments, and (IMHO) are more comfortable than most boots I have worn. They are also can take a considerable beating. Not that this applies to CAP, they also have a safety toe.

If you want, I can find out the manufacturer and a source for them, unless you know people with access to the CG UDC.

My second recommendation would be bates. A lot of my friends tried these boots and liked them.

YMMV

HGjunkie

Hey, side zip is a friggin life and time saver. Just stick your foot in and zip up the zipper. Can't get faster than than. ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DC

Quote from: titanII on January 04, 2011, 03:15:17 AM
Do you think I would have to get a mirrory shine on them in order for them to be acceptable? Your response is appreciated.
I would get them as well shined as possible before going. Putting the time and effort to make them look nice ahead of time will make your life a lot easier at encampment.

Mark_Wheeler

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 04, 2011, 02:45:09 PM
Hey, side zip is a friggin life and time saver. Just stick your foot in and zip up the zipper. Can't get faster than than. ;)
I love my Bates as well, but be warned, I popped the slider off mine by keeping it laced too tight and trying to pull up on it.  10 dollar fix and I had a spare pair of beat up boots, but a bit of inconvience.

Mark

Spaceman3750

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 04, 2011, 02:45:09 PM

After seeing a cadet at NESA with zipper boots falling apart and duck taped due to a broken zipper, I will never wear them nor will I recommend them.

JoeTomasone

I had a pair of tan ones that I used daily while in the sandbox.    Some diesel fuel spillage rendered them cosmetically "uinfit for duty", but mechanically they worked fine for over a year.    Never had a problem with the zipper.

jeders

Since no one else has said it, I will. Regardless of the boots you get, BREAK THEM IN. Wear them as much as you can before encampment so that they will work for you. Don't be the guy who ends up with huge blisters because he didn't break his boots in before encampment.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Awesome Sgt

Yeah I think you would have to mirror shine them

HGjunkie

Don't worry about a mirror shine unless you plan on wearing them with your blues. For encampment, all that is necessary is a brush shine.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

IceNine

Been wearing bates w/ zippers everyday for about 10 years.  Never had a zipper even get tired let alone break.  I usually get a new pair every 18 months or so, and wear the 80 hours a week or so.

The average part time capper could probably get 5+ years out of a set.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Ditto - been wearing jump-style side zippers for about 6 years, never had an issue, I like the look but even fully worn in then tend to
be heck on your feet if all your walking in on concrete.

Switched to the Bates this year, much more comfortable.

I would imagine the zipper issue was an anomaly or a quality issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=18687&tabid=1
The ONLY boot I ever want to wear. No zipper to break or to hurt your ankle if it rolls. Will take a beating and still look great. Also have the best tread I have ever had other than full gator tooth soles.

a2capt

Does Bates have side zip with safety toe? I couldn't figure it out from their site. I've never had a problem with side zips, the only issue is they don't last as long as the Corcorans I've found out.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on January 04, 2011, 10:50:05 PM
Does Bates have side zip with safety toe? I couldn't figure it out from their site.

Yes.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Get yourself a set of Magnums, 5.11, or even a set of bates.  Magnums will last and shine up nice.