BDU Badges and Velcro

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, December 14, 2010, 11:38:59 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 31, 2010, 01:18:17 AM
Nice, did the Army pay you for that photo?

Nope.  It was on the 1997 Army Green Book and then spent 9 years as the main Army Values poster.

[smg id=357]

[smg id=358]
Serving since 1987.

manfredvonrichthofen

Nice, I didn't know you were in the Army before the Air Force.

Stonewall

1991 - 1995:  Active Army
1996 - 2001:  Army Guard
2004 - Present:  Air Guard

Served in every position in the Infantry up to Squad Leader.
Serving since 1987.

manfredvonrichthofen

I was everything up to squad leader as well, the bad thing about this is no one takes an E-4 squad leader seriously at all. I was also my CO's RTO and "body guard" (even though he wasn't allowed to have a body guard). My personal favorite was being a SAW gunner.

BTW I was only a squad leader for about one and a half months.

manfredvonrichthofen

What made you decide to transfer into the Air Force Stonewall?

Stonewall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 31, 2010, 02:26:36 AM
What made you decide to transfer into the Air Force Stonewall?

I got out of the Army Guard in August of 2001, a month before 9/11.  I had just picked up a lucrative job in DC toting a gun, carrying a badge and circling the globe in a learjet while protecting a powerful dude.  The Guard just didn't jive with being gone all the time.  In 2004 my wife joined the Air Guard (at age 30) and I refused to have a dependent ID card so I joined the Air Guard which is a little more forgiving with missing drill weekends.  I went 6 months without attending a drill once.  I have since left DC and the fast paced life of lawyers, guns and money.  My only action these days is one weekend a month with an occasional trip to the AOR.  That and finding dead bodies, mobile meth labs and the random millionaire who wants to drink themself to death.
Serving since 1987.

manfredvonrichthofen

Nice, sounds like loads of fun.

My dad went back into the ANG after being out for about 18 years when he found out my brother went in after I had.

manfredvonrichthofen

Thinking about it, I was an E-3 squad leader. We were standing the unit back up at Ft. Campbell when the 506 was returning to the 101st from Korea. We didn't have enough NCO's to go around so a bunch of us were asked a few questions and whoever got the most right were added as squad and team leaders.

dogboy

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 15, 2010, 12:59:14 AM
Quote from: indygreg on December 15, 2010, 12:56:52 AM
I don't know where in Indiana you are, but there is a guy in Muncie that does GREAT work on patches(he was a rigger in the Army).  I can get you his info, if you'd like.
A bit far for me, I'm in Bloomington (no jokes please), and that is a bit of a far drive for me just for a patch. Especially since my badges are already off. Wouldn't it be nice just to wear the medal ones on the BDU?

Since you're in a college town, cal,l the ROTC unit and ask them where they get their patches sewn on.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: dogboy on January 05, 2011, 05:43:58 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 15, 2010, 12:59:14 AM
Quote from: indygreg on December 15, 2010, 12:56:52 AM
I don't know where in Indiana you are, but there is a guy in Muncie that does GREAT work on patches(he was a rigger in the Army).  I can get you his info, if you'd like.
A bit far for me, I'm in Bloomington (no jokes please), and that is a bit of a far drive for me just for a patch. Especially since my badges are already off. Wouldn't it be nice just to wear the medal ones on the BDU?

Since you're in a college town, cal,l the ROTC unit and ask them where they get their patches sewn on.
I have gotten it taken care of. I can sew pretty well, I just have issues seam ripping to change something. I decided to use a thin plastic sheet and glue it inside the badge, makes it nice and stiff. Plus it holds the badge a little bit thinker and makes it easier to rip the seam.