BDU Badges and Velcro

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, December 14, 2010, 11:38:59 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2010, 12:34:06 AM
The only reason there is velcro on combat uniforms is so that if captured a soldier, aircrew, etc., can "sanitize" their uniform
to hinder unit identification, etc.

Velcro patches have nothing to do with sterilizing the uniform. Besides, we are trained that if we are captured to give our Last Name and Rank along with our unit. It has to do soley with ease of the uniform.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 30, 2010, 01:12:30 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2010, 12:34:06 AM
The only reason there is velcro on combat uniforms is so that if captured a soldier, aircrew, etc., can "sanitize" their uniform
to hinder unit identification, etc.

Velcro patches have nothing to do with sterilizing the uniform. Besides, we are trained that if we are captured to give our Last Name and Rank along with our unit. It has to do soley with ease of the uniform.
Maybe so, but the Air Force doesn't use it on utilities other than flightsuits. We follow their lead on them. It may be convenient initially, it ends up being a pain.

manfredvonrichthofen

Don't worry, I have since scratched the idea and found a way to turn the badges almost into a permanent patch. I took a really thin plastic and measured the badge, added 1/8 inch to each side and cut the plastic to size. I then used a fabric glue and glued the plastic into the badge and it hardened solid in about 20 minutes. Then just sew it on to the BDU and it won't come apart and holds shape very nicely. Don't worry about the iron on the plastic because you won't even have to iron the badge anyways. But all of my buttons (except for those at the cuff of the sleeves are velcro.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 30, 2010, 03:07:56 AM
Don't worry, I have since scratched the idea and found a way to turn the badges almost into a permanent patch. I took a really thin plastic and measured the badge, added 1/8 inch to each side and cut the plastic to size. I then used a fabric glue and glued the plastic into the badge and it hardened solid in about 20 minutes. Then just sew it on to the BDU and it won't come apart and holds shape very nicely. Don't worry about the iron on the plastic because you won't even have to iron the badge anyways. But all of my buttons (except for those at the cuff of the sleeves are velcro.
I just use Witch Stitch (or comparable generic equivalent) for that. I use it to shape the badge, and then to hold it down for sewing. The thin stuff is best for this, it doesn't create bulk.

I have thought about modding a BDU shirt to have a zipper and Velcro front, just like the ACU shirt. If I do it right, no one will ever know unless they see me removing it. It is one feature I do like about the ACU shirt.

manfredvonrichthofen

I didn't even use a zipper, I just used a one inch wide strip of velcro all the way down the buttons.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 30, 2010, 03:54:08 AM
I didn't even use a zipper, I just used a one inch wide strip of velcro all the way down the buttons.
Seems like it would be a pain to line up, I'd probably suffer some anxiety from worrying about it. It would be simpler, material wise. But, if you can make it work.

manfredvonrichthofen

I have no issue with it, just make sure the top of your velcro are square angles to the sides and it is easy to line up if you use one long solid strip.
[img alt=]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=355[/img]

shorning

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 30, 2010, 01:12:30 AM
Besides, we are trained that if we are captured to give our Last Name and Rank along with our unit.

Um...no!  Not your unit.  Name, rank, service number, and date of birth.  "Big four and nothing more".

The CyBorg is destroyed

Don't use Velcro on BDU's...it would make you stick out like a sore thumb and eventually someone with more knowledge of uniforms than you or I would call you on it.

I get this fabric glue from Hobby Lobby, use it to secure the ragged ends of grade insignia and nametapes underneath, let dry 24 hours, glue onto clean BDU's, let dry 24 hours and then sew over it.  Very easy, and looks almost as good as a professional tailor.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on December 30, 2010, 06:13:19 AM
Don't use Velcro on BDU's...it would make you stick out like a sore thumb and eventually someone with more knowledge of uniforms than you or I would call you on it.
Only if you can tell. If there is no indicator whatsoever that the uniform is modified when worn, it doesn't matter.

manfredvonrichthofen

I remember my training very well, also I still have my 7-8 and my BCT manual plus many more. Even the manual says to give your unit.

There is no way to tell that it has been changed when it is worn. I have had nothing but compliments on them either.

shorning

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 30, 2010, 04:47:25 PM
I remember my training very well, also I still have my 7-8 and my BCT manual plus many more. Even the manual says to give your unit.

Re-read Article V of the Code of Conduct...

SARDOC

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 30, 2010, 04:47:25 PM

There is no way to tell that it has been changed when it is worn. I have had nothing but compliments on them either.

Name, Rank, Service and Date of Birth...That's it  See Below AR350-30 Sec 4-14

http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ar350-30.pdf

Giving your unit identity can place other members of your unit at risk.  It also hints at what your Military Specialty is and can lead the enhanced interrogation techniques...

manfredvonrichthofen

Wow, hey I stand very corrected, I am sorry for arguing so hard. I was sure that we were required to give unit also. Again I apologize for being such a donkey.

Stonewall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 30, 2010, 04:47:25 PM... and my BCT manual plus many more.

Did your BCT manual look like this?

With my ugly mug on in?

On topic...I've been in CAP for 23 years (24 in February) and have done all my own sewing since being a cadet.  Several Army and Air Force badges as well as, I think, 4 CAP badges.  I have never considered using velcro nor have I had issues with ripping or fraying badges when having to remove them.  It's called a seem ripper.  And when used properly, you'll have a fresh patch/badge removal every time.

Home Econmics class, 1987.
Serving since 1987.

Persona non grata

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Eclipse

^ Yep - one of the best things that happened to me was frustration with not being able to get the tailor or my betrothed to
sew things "just right".

Forced me to figure out the machine, now I do everything myself, plus for others, and now the kids are in Cub Scouts...

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

No, mine was black and white, the only picture on the cover was an M-16 and a K-pot. Now, is that really you on the cover?

Stonewall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 31, 2010, 01:11:57 AM
Now, is that really you on the cover?

The answer:  Yes.  Picture was taken by Dennis Steele, from AUSA in July 1997. 
Serving since 1987.

manfredvonrichthofen

Nice, did the Army pay you for that photo?