Official member of NASAR

Started by Senior, November 21, 2010, 03:19:42 AM

Senior

I joined NASAR(National Association of Search and Rescue) last week.
I received my membership card, patches, and a  large 6" diameter sticker. I was hoping for a beret to put the 6" diameter sticker on.  No orange hat or t-shirt.  I joined to get more bling for my uniform. 8)

HGjunkie

Wait. You joined just last week and got your membership stuff already?  :o
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

GTCommando

^Yeah! Just last week? what's their secret?  :o  ;)
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

DakRadz

I really am trying to find a point to this post... And yet, I cannot.

Also, it is never a good sign when the only people responding are cadets.

Senior

I really did join NASAR.
I was wondering who would actually respond.
I see I didn't get any comments about "the bling" part of my
comment, or the "beret" comment etc..  I thought it would turn
into a uniform issue or the NASAR SARTECH/CAP GTM qualifications.
I thought at least it would get locked.
Lastly, cadets should read more and post less.

DakRadz

So does being in CAP affect joining NASAR? What are the criteria for joining?

MSgt Van

Being in CAP has no affect on NASAR membership. Send them $, you're in.

PHall

Quote from: Senior on November 21, 2010, 02:24:49 PM
I really did join NASAR.
I was wondering who would actually respond.
I see I didn't get any comments about "the bling" part of my
comment, or the "beret" comment etc..  I thought it would turn
into a uniform issue or the NASAR SARTECH/CAP GTM qualifications.
I thought at least it would get locked.
Lastly, cadets should read more and post less.

In other words you're being a TROLL and trying to stir up some trouble.

a2capt

Quote from: Senior on November 21, 2010, 02:24:49 PM
... I was wondering who would actually respond.
...I thought at least it would get locked.
Sure sounds like troll bait to me.

Senior

MSgt. Van is correct.  You have to pay for everything in NASAR.
I am trying to expand my horizons in the SAR world.  I would like to
actually help in the community by being known to the Sherriff's Dept.,
Fire Fighters(CERT) and other Lost Person Search Teams.  I feel by having  the SARTECH XX ratings that I would be taken serious. 

I have never been called a Troll before.  It seems on this board
a lot of threads turn into uniform issues or get locked very quickly.
Tongue in cheek is what I was going for.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RADIOMAN015

Civil Air Patrol has an Letter of Agreement with this organization
see:  http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/NASARNatl_Assn_of_Search__Rescue_LO_9C091B0DA23D2.pdf

There are provisions for joint training between the two organization.  Supposedly National Hq has a coordinating committe with this group.    I know in the distant past in our wing we had a member that was quite active in this organization and actually provided training that CAP was invited to, BUT a fee was charged to each member for attending the course.  The member has since relocated and the relationship apparently was not established with the remaining members.  Also locallly a private college that offers a degree in Medical Emergency Management offers two courses "Fundamentals in Search & Rescue", & "Search & Rescue Management" which with successful completion will result in NASAR certification, as part of the MEM program.

Looking at the organization's website:
http://www.nasar.org/nasar/
CAP member's qualify for membership in this organization:
Individual Member
This member type carries voting privileges.
Any person interested in search, rescue or survival activities or affiliated with a recognized SAR or survival education organization or agency, or those persons employed by agencies and organizations of federal, state or local governments may join as Individual members.

In our state anyone under 18 years old cannot participate in a missing person search.  Even those over 18, not certified for searching by the State Police (perhaps at most 3 to 5 volunteer teams in the state are certified), generally will work in the base camp in a support role.  Anyone working with the state police has to sign a waiver of liability, so if you get hurt it's on your dime and not the state's.

RM

Senior

Radioman, thanks for the information.  I did join as an individual.
From my basic knowledge you test for SARTECH III by reading the book
"Intro to SAR" and take the on line test.  It cost 55.00 dollars.  You then
move onto SARTECH II by reading the book "Fundamentals of SAR"
This requires a test and practical field test.  I have a NASAR instructor
that lives very close to me, luckily.  In the past you had to travel to
TX, NC, etc. to advance.  I live in MO so it is a break travel wise.
I would like to instruct with the idea of crosstraining CAP folks.
You are correct about the fees.  It is going to cost about $200.00 per
person to work on SARTECH II.  That is why I would encourage the
cadets reading this to stay with CAP and not worry about NASAR.
As I understand so far NASAR training is more technical.  I will have to
determine that as I work through there material.   

DakRadz

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sir,

I respect that you hope to bring this training (which sounds very valuable) to CAP members. This sounds like a good discussion and a great idea.

Posting just to stir up uniform arguments and/or get a locked topic is not.

So you basically study and then take the tests, with level II being a field test to make sure you know your stuff? And this is textbook type courses, so it is pretty in-depth and informative?
Sounds like a great cross-training opportunity for CAP.

Senior

Dak, my comment about uniforms and locked threads on this board was dry humor or tongue in cheek humor.
As I understand NASAR qualifications for SARTECH you take an on line test for SARTECH III.  It seems SARTECH II overlaps CAP at GTM3 because you have book/classroom work and then you have to go to the field and demonstrate those skills.  I am new to NASAR and will get a chance to delve into SARTECH III in December.  I will give some insight into what I learn.  NASAR does involve ropework where CAP does not.   Also NASAR deals with lost person searches where CAP doesn't directly.

sardak

From the NASAR website:
The SARTECH II examination consists of written exam and a practical exam. The written exam includes one hundred and forty-five (145) questions covering the candidate's knowledge of search and rescue.  A passing grade is 70 or above. Successfully passing the SARTECH II written test assures the candidate to be certified at the SARTECH III level whether the practical exam is passed or not.

This page lists the topics covered on the SARTECH II written exam:
http://www.nasar.org/nasar/course.php?id=15

And on the same page: The candidate's performance of SAR skills is evaluated at six practical exam stations involving:

* Station #1: Land Navigation: Use of topographic maps and compass. Candidates complete a course over terrain commonly encountered in the operations area in a specified time frame, not to exceed 600 meters.
    * Station #2: Tracking: Candidates identify and mark a footprint track left by the evaluator and follow the track to its end.
    * Station #3: 24-hour Pack: Candidates demonstrate the ability to possess and pack the required SAR equipment and supplies efficiently.
    * Station #4: Rope Skills: Candidates demonstrate the ability to tie four basic knots and a harness with supplied rope and webbing.
    * Station #5: Route Search: This station entails locating and labeling clues in a given area demonstrating the ability to detect 50% of the clues using a route search tactic.
    * Station #6: Area Search: This station entails locating and labeling clues in a given area demonstrating the ability to detect 50% of the clues using an area search tactic.

Here is the 55 page SARTECH I/II/III certification criteria document. It expands on what is covered on the written test and describes how the field tests are given.
http://www.nasar.org/nasar/downloads/SARTECH_III,_II_02,_2003.pdf

Mike

sarmed1

When I was part of the GSARS program for TXWG we did SARTECH as part of the Advanced Course.  Everyone took the written, if you got a passing score you did the practical. For SARTECH II.  There was very little that we needed to add in from the standard GTM curriculum that wasnt included in the NASAR SARTECH curriculm.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Senior

Thanks for posting the criteria for the SARTECH courses.  It is my understanding that CAP and NASAR training does overlap.  I will let everyone know what I find out when I get into  the training.