Main Menu

Cold War Victory Medal

Started by James Shaw, December 13, 2006, 02:01:51 PM

James Shaw

I am not sure as to how many people in this forum are eligible for this but I am going to list it anyhow. The Cold War Victory Medal is for those who have served during a specific time. I have taken a quote form the website and included it.

"WHEREAS, the United States Congress has authorized the Cold War Certificate for those Americans who served in the Armed Forces, or in other government agencies, during the period Sept. 2, 1945 through Dec. 26, 1991, and whose duties contributed directly to this nation's Cold War efforts."

This is not a currently authorized item for the CAP uniform. I would like to see it added. Any comments or questions are greatly appreciated!

Please check out the websites below for info!

www.coldwarveterans.com
www.foxfall.com

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Monty

This has been around for some time.  To my understanding, it's essentially a commemoration medal and not one for even the (currently serving) armed forces folks to wear as part of their regular tally...

EDIT: Here ya be (sorry for the long URL...you'll have to cut and paste it back together with no spaces):

Linky

Edited link - MIKE

Pylon

Quote from: caphistorian on December 13, 2006, 02:01:51 PM
I am not sure as to how many people in this forum are eligible for this but I am going to list it anyhow. The Cold War Victory Medal is for those who have served during a specific time. I have taken a quote form the website and included it.

"WHEREAS, the United States Congress has authorized the Cold War Certificate for those Americans who served in the Armed Forces, or in other government agencies, during the period Sept. 2, 1945 through Dec. 26, 1991, and whose duties contributed directly to this nation's Cold War efforts."

This is not a currently authorized item for the CAP uniform. I would like to see it added. Any comments or questions are greatly appreciated!

Please check out the websites below for info!

www.coldwarveterans.com
www.foxfall.com

It is not a real military decoration.  A bunch of vendors got together and decided they could make money by selling a "cold war medal" (for commemorative purposes only).  It's much like a challenge coin -- something nifty sold to individuals to remember a particular portion of their service.

Congress has authorized a certificate for cold war service to be given to those who meet the established criteria.  However, the certificate does not come with any corresponding ribbon, medal, device, or pin.  It's just a paper certificate.

In my opinion, CAP should not consider allowing random vendor-created medals onto the CAP uniform (and I doubt the AF would allow us to anyways).  Right now it's just CAP medals and the authorized, federally-awarded ribbons and devices (per CAPM 39-1).  Allowing one random, unofficial commemorative ribbon for previous military or federal service in the cold war could open up a pandoras box.  Next thing you know, Vanguard will have made ribbons to commemorate everything.

Stick with official military ribbons and medals only, for wear on the AF-style CAP uniforms, as we do it now.  If you think Cold War Veterans should be officially recognized with a ribbon, adding an unofficial creation to CAPM 39-1 is not the way to do it.  Contact your Congressman and Senators and push for them to approve a real award.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

James Shaw

I have been aware of it for a while myself. I received one for my service many years ago. The reason I ask now is because it has been authorized for wear by the Louisiana National Guard! This to me opens it up for possible inclusion?

http://www.coldwarveterans.com/louisiana_ng_medal.htm
Jim Shaw

Pylon

Quote from: caphistorian on December 13, 2006, 02:32:44 PM
I have been aware of it for a while myself. I received one for my service many years ago. The reason I ask now is because it has been authorized for wear by the Louisiana National Guard! This to me opens it up for possible inclusion?

http://www.coldwarveterans.com/louisiana_ng_medal.htm

It doesn't matter whether or not the Louisana National Guard awarded their guardsmen a cold war victory medal for such service or not.

1.  CAP does not permit the wear of state awards/national guard decorations on the CAP uniform -- AF-style or corporate.

2.  Even if CAP did, you would have had to been awarded it, in writing by a competent military authority (also a CAP regulation). It wouldn't be enough to say "Well, in Louisana, they give people a medal for X.  I did X, too, so I can wear that medal."   But this point does not matter at this time because of point 1.

Seriously, if you believe that this recognition should be awarded to cold war veterans who went otherwise unrecognized, petition your congressman and senator.  There have been bills in both the house and senate on this exact topic, but they didn't get the support they needed to pass.  Let your representatives on the hill know your feelings on this, and maybe next time a bill comes up, they can approve it.

davedove

A federal level Cold War Medal has not been authorized.  The Cold War Veterans Association, with support of several veterans organizations, has for the last several years been pushing to get Congress to approve such a medal, but it has not happened yet.

Should the medal legislation pass, it would be an official military medal and the different services would publish the rules for wearing it.  Once the AF has it's reg, then it would be worn as any other military service medal by CAP members.

I would be eligible for this medal if the legislation is passed, as my service was in the mid-80's.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

mmouw

Where can I go to find out about the certificate that exists for the Cold War veteran. I am also a eligible. Also is it a DOD certificate?
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

James Shaw

Go to: www.coldwarveterans.com and check the left column. It is listed on thier website.
Jim Shaw

DNall

Quote from: Pylon on December 13, 2006, 02:37:30 PM
It doesn't matter whether or not the Louisana National Guard awarded their guardsmen a cold war victory medal for such service or not.

1.  CAP does not permit the wear of state awards/national guard decorations on the CAP uniform -- AF-style or corporate.

2.  Even if CAP did, you would have had to been awarded it, in writing by a competent military authority (also a CAP regulation). It wouldn't be enough to say "Well, in Louisana, they give people a medal for X.  I did X, too, so I can wear that medal."   But this point does not matter at this time because of point 1.
That's right state awarded decorations vary & are not authorized for wear while on federal service (there's a grace period, but don't let that distract you). I think though that a state TAG is competent military authority.

James Shaw

I have received a PM form a NHQ competant authority that said this has come up some years ago and it was shot down unless congress authorizes a design. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for all the input.
Jim Shaw

Monty

Howdy, friend - I'm not meaning to call you on this in a negative fashion, but in a positive one!  Help me find this one...it's been a source of "interest" with a local officer of mine...

If it's in 39-1, I missed it and am willing to take a vector.

Pylon

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 13, 2006, 04:05:08 PM

Howdy, friend - I'm not meaning to call you on this in a negative fashion, but in a positive one!  Help me find this one...it's been a source of "interest" with a local officer of mine...

No harm in an honest question.  :)  Answer 610 in the Knowledgebase clarifies your answer citing both an AFI and CAPR:

Quote from: Knowledgebase
Question
  Are state ribbons from the National Guard authorized on the CAP uniform?

Answer    
No. CAP allows wear of decorations,ribbons, and badges earned during service in any branch of the US armed forces but not state decorations. See regulations below.

AFI 36-2903 states "Air National Guard (ANG) members wear state decorations when serving in state status but not while on federal active duty." CAPR 39-3 states "Decorations, ribbons, and badges authorized for wear on the US Air Force uniform may be worn on the CAP uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority to a member for service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies."

Also see CAP REGULATION 39-3 (E) AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES

3. Decorations, Ribbons, and Awards That May Be Worn on the CAP Uniform:
a. The CAP decorations, ribbons, and badges described herein and wartime service ribbons awarded during the period February 1942-July 1945 may be worn on the CAP uniform in accordance with CAPM 39-1, Civil Air Patrol Uniform Manual. If cadet ribbons are worn by senior members, only the highest cadet program ribbon earned will be worn. Additionally, senior members needing to minimize the number of ribbons worn, may also elect to wear only the highest senior training ribbon earned. Other CAP decorations, ribbons, and badges previously authorized, but not described in this regulation will not be worn.

davedove

Well, the reg says this:

5-4. Military Service Awards. Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence. See Table 5-3. Awards for wars, campaigns, expeditions etc., will be worn in chronological sequence.

So that doesn't specifically discount state issued medals if they meet the definition of "competent military authority."

However, Table 5-3 specifically states "US Military Awards and Decoration."  That's US, as in federal.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

davedove

Quote from: Pylon on December 13, 2006, 04:13:09 PM

AFI 36-2903 states "Air National Guard (ANG) members wear state decorations when serving in state status but not while on federal active duty." CAPR 39-3 states "Decorations, ribbons, and badges authorized for wear on the US Air Force uniform may be worn on the CAP uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority to a member for service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies."

That pretty much says it there.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Monty

Quote from: Pylon on December 13, 2006, 04:13:09 PM
Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 13, 2006, 04:05:08 PM

No harm in an honest question.  :)  Answer 610 in the Knowledgebase clarifies your answer citing both an AFI and CAPR

Man......you have NO IDEA how steamed one of my staff officers is gonna be.

I'll tell him you told me and give him your phone number!   ;D

J/K - thanks for the head's up.....