this may be a weird question......

Started by randomcadet, October 10, 2010, 10:00:01 PM

randomcadet

this may be a weird question, but i am at a loss to answer it.

I have a cadet who has a male friend who wants to join our squadron but likes his long hair. The potential cadet's solution is to put his hair up in a bun like a female cadet would. He would have the sideburns  and bangs at the proper length and the hair would be off his collar. my suspicion is this is not within regs, but i want to know if anyone has any thoughts.....

any help?

Stonewall

We have a clear policy on grooming standards for both male and female cadets.  They must be followed or you cannot wear the uniform.  If you don't wear the uniform you can't participate in activities.

When I joined as a cadet in 1987 I was a skate rat.  I had about 8 inches of hair hanging down the front of my face down to my chin.  I drove to Homestead AFB while on spring break in Key Largo and got my first military haircut before showing up to my first meeting following spring break.
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

Per CAPM 39-1, hair for males must maintain a tapered appearance - a style that wouldn't be achievable with long hair.
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/M39_1_atchs.pdf

coudano

your prospective cadet needs to make a choice between his preferred hairstyle and CAP.
simple as that.

i had "80's garage band guitar metal hair" when I joined CAP. (party time, excellent!)
It was actually very nice, and infact the envy of many girls.  haha.
I went and got it cut off.
The lady who did my hair (and took personal pride in it) asked me like 50 times if I was sure,
and -she- almost cried when she cut it off.  it was much less of a big deal to me, heh.

Eclipse

Wow!  Suspended after 1 post.

If that a record?

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

:o I'd say so.

Was it because of the question? Or maybe discovered to already have an account..

whatevah

Quote from: DakRadz on October 11, 2010, 12:46:21 AM
:o I'd say so.

Was it because of the question? Or maybe discovered to already have an account..
another smurf account.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

DakRadz

Thanks to Google, I respond with-

oooooooh.

Does this mean a cadet has been banned/suspended from their regular account as well? Hopefully no one I like... :-[

whatevah

no, typically the original account is left alone and the duplicate account(s) is/are closed.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

HGjunkie

Quote from: randomcadet on October 10, 2010, 10:00:01 PM
The potential cadet's solution is to put his hair up in a bun like a female cadet would.
Wait. I smell a troll...  ::)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Day late. Dollar short.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

A bun.. LOL, I can see it now. Prince Leia. No, just for the next that searches that out - it's just not gonna work. Not to mention even if it did work with the regs, but the ridicule that you just know will happen despite it not supposed to be.

Johnny Yuma

No joke, I saw an A1C working in the dining hall that did just this at McConnell in 1987-1989 time frame, obvious long hair that was pinned up and off the ears.

Of course, he was taking orders from the civilian staff at the time, too ???
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

DBlair

Quote from: a2capt on October 11, 2010, 03:14:09 AM
A bun.. LOL, I can see it now. Prince Leia. No, just for the next that searches that out - it's just not gonna work. Not to mention even if it did work with the regs, but the ridicule that you just know will happen despite it not supposed to be.

WIWAC, there was one guy who tried this for a while. He would somehow wind his hair around his head and gel it into place. After a while, he got tired of the effort (and the comments) and actually shaved his head. From that moment on, through the next few years, I never saw him with anything longer than a flat top.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

MSgt Van

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on October 14, 2010, 01:16:56 AM
No joke, I saw an A1C working in the dining hall that did just this at McConnell in 1987-1989 time frame, obvious long hair that was pinned up and off the ears.

Of course, he was taking orders from the civilian staff at the time, too ???
>:(
I just loved finding those...

Майор Хаткевич

I think we can use him at Hawk Mountain for Repelling training?

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

What, and destroy a natural eco-system of dead skin, dirt, bugs and other undesirable things? No, let them live in that...thing, and not run freely on the floor when the hair goes...

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Johnny Yuma

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

SarDragon

In my case, somebody was ahead of me dropping a line.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret