Creed for Ground Teams

Started by GTCommando, September 22, 2010, 07:09:01 PM

N Harmon

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 23, 2011, 02:46:44 PM
CAP has done quite a few cadaver searches. I have been on one... CAP will search for pretty much anything that is lost. The SAR motto is good, still not a creed, but inreally do like it and it actually makes sense.

I wasn't aware we did such things. Disregard my last then. :P
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

davidsinn

Quote from: N Harmon on March 23, 2011, 03:00:15 PM
CAP has done quite a few cadaver searches. I have been on one... CAP will search for pretty much anything that is lost. The SAR motto is good, still not a creed, but inreally do like it and it actually makes sense.

Think of it this way: When we get sent on an ELT search a day after the fact you are most likely going to find dead bodies not live ones...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tsrup

Quote from: davidsinn on March 23, 2011, 03:13:23 PM
Quote from: N Harmon on March 23, 2011, 03:00:15 PM

Think of it this way: When we get sent on an ELT search a day after the fact you are most likely going to find dead bodies not live ones...

Or a 3 day old missing person search in the middle of winter (during which time there was a blizzard)...

It's just the reality we face in what we do.

Not to say you shouldn't treat every search as if there was a living person who needs you to be there as soon as you possibly can get there.

Paramedic
hang-around.

Smithsonia

"To find the lost and the dead - so - they are lost no more."

I think this means - we can't promise to find downed pilots alive... just find them. When out on a search we do our best even when we're pretty sure there are no survivors.

So the faithfulness and doggedness of the duty - and the SAR Dog - meet in this motto/creed. Additionally, it adds drama and gravity, which is always good in Motto making.

Also it is powerfully poetic as in, The Naked and the Dead, The Living and the Dead.  Given that it comes from the WW2 era, this complex cultural moment is always summed up in fatalistic but heroic terms.

In 1944 the number one song was; "I'll be home for Christmas... if only in my dreams." Restoring men or their lifeless bodies- to the family or at least the familiar was the most important sentiment of the day. All of these cultural influences are in these words.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

ol'fido

Quote from: MSgt Van on March 23, 2011, 02:49:03 PM
Gonna be hard to summarize all this on a tattoo...

Can National C&D a tatoo artist? ::)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

DC

Quote from: MSgt Van on March 23, 2011, 02:49:03 PM
Gonna be hard to summarize all this on a tattoo...
Do you think maroon feet would work?  >:D