Main Menu

Honor Flights

Started by Smoothice, September 21, 2010, 01:18:36 PM

Smoothice

Hi,
I just wanted to do a quick write-up of our squadron/wing's participation in a recent Honor Flight. For those of you who don't know what it is, the Honor Flights are very special. Southwest airlines flies any veteran that want's to go to the WW2 memorial in DC for free, along with his/her "sponsor" that goes along with them. They take off early in the morning, and return late at night....so...

A few members of our wing went to the seeing-off of the vets on a very early Sunday morning at KMHT (Manchester, NH). They were alongside members from from NH National Guard, some other local Veteran's administration volunteers and a local Vietnam Vets motorcycle club.

Then, that night, about 20 of us, both seniors and cadets, went back to the airport at roughly 11PM to welcome them back. Again, we were alongside veterans' administration volunteers, some ROTC cadets and friends and family. We all stood in two lines, holding 8ft flag poles. Then, the WW2 vets made their way off the plane and through the gate. A local marching band played a energetic mix of patriotic songs as the men and women made their way along the welcomming line. We stood at attention as the vets thanked US for being there. A few of them actually "Saluted" us. We all got the chance after to thank all of them personally for their service. There were lots of hugs and handshakes, and even some tears.

I would recommened checking out the Honor Flights system. Maybe your squadron can experience what we did, a very moving tribute to our Nation's Heros!

PS:
Oh yeah, here is the link to the website
www.honorflight.org

tmoe

Yes! Our unit (MD-140 Fort McHenry Composite Squadron) has been involved with greeting the vets as they arrive at Baltimore Washington International. We get clearance through security and join personnel from all branches at the gate to greet them as they deplane. It is a very moving experience, both for us and for the vets, to hear the thunderous applause from everyone in the terminal. We walk them to the buses, and the form up and present arms as they drive off.  We typically greet 2-4 planes when we go. I would HIGHLY recommend anyone interested to get involved. I am especially encouraged to see so many cadets come out to support the vets. These heroes have amazing stories to tell, and deserve our deepest thanks and appreciation.

-Tony