CAP mentioned in Joint Forces Quarterly

Started by RiverAux, December 03, 2006, 02:37:54 PM

RiverAux

This article http://www.ndu.edu/inss/Press/jfq_pages/editions/i43/%209%20JFQ43%20Bankus.pdf appears in the 4th Quarter 2006 issue of Joint Forces Quarterly.  While it primarily focuses on State Defense Forces, the CAP gets a few positive mentions.  Obviously, it is a stretch to say that CAP or the CG Aux are "volunteer military organizations".   

Note that there is mention of a few State Defense Forces with aviation components.  Some, like TX, are geared primarily at supporting the Air National Guard.  A few others, like Virginia and Alaska actually have aicraft (state-owned junkers in AK, and private planes in VA) and conduct some air operations.  Any CAP people in those states aware of any conflict between the SDF and CAP over missions?   

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on December 03, 2006, 02:37:54 PM
Note that there is mention of a few State Defense Forces with aviation components.  Some, like TX, are geared primarily at supporting the Air National Guard.  A few others, like Virginia and Alaska actually have aicraft (state-owned junkers in AK, and private planes in VA) and conduct some air operations.  Any CAP people in those states aware of any conflict between the SDF and CAP over missions?   

If all is running correctly there should be no conflicts of that type.  Resources have to work together.  All steps should be taken to encourge "in tandem" operations.

This is a very good article with potential for CAP.

Now, let's focus our energy on creating relationships, as with SDFs and other volunteer organaztions, instead of trying to create new uniform items.  I will tell you right now that the colour of our nametapes is a moot point if the colour of our OPERATIONS is a solid GREEN, as in GO!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Monty

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 03, 2006, 04:55:45 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 03, 2006, 02:37:54 PM

If all is running correctly there should be no conflicts of that type.  Resources have to work together.  All steps should be taken to encourge "in tandem" operations.

Now, let's focus our energy on creating relationships, as with SDFs and other volunteer organaztions, instead of trying to create new uniform items.  I will tell you right now that the colour of our nametapes is a moot point if the colour of our OPERATIONS is a solid GREEN, as in GO!

I'm Spartacus....no, I'm Spartacus....no, I'm Spartacus!!!

;D

NEBoom

Agree completely.  This needs to be our emphasis.  As we're finding out, it can be daunting, especially for the smaller wings, but it has to be done if CAP is to have a healty future.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Lancer

Now, let's focus our energy on creating relationships, as with SDFs and other volunteer organizations, instead of trying to create new uniform items.  I will tell you right now that the color of our name tapes is a moot point if the color of our OPERATIONS is a solid GREEN, as in GO!

I agree wholeheartedly Joe.

To begin with I, along with my Squadron commander were completely unaware of the SDF here in Michigan. I only just this past week learned of their existence when I was looking for veterans organizations to join us in participating in the Wreaths Across America event.

Thanks to RiverAux for posting this information, with it I learned even more and will look into creating a relationship with these folks.

DNall

There was significant conflict w/ CAP when Texas moved to create the state air guard. They initially wanted to create a force with state owned cessnas to do SaR & all the state missions CAP was doing at that time. You see how it works, is AFRCC calls the state first cause they have responsibility for downed aircraft, and they have to say they don't have the resources to find it or ask for CAP in order for CAP to be alerted by AFRCC. CAP faught an educational campaign with the state & we actually are the ones that recommended that they go ahead & create the organization & use it to protect & augment ANG units.

Actually I think there's a lot CAP can learn from SDFs. They have very similar relationships with their parent NGs & thru them to the Army & AF. Their uniforms are approved by the Army/AF & if you'll look most wear the same colors as regular forces, whcih emphasizes that partnership & makes members feel like they are a civilian military organization. They meet with varring degrees of success operationally. You see they really don't have a well defined mission. They were primarily created to serve state level NG missions while the guard was called away to war, & were strengthened as the feds made NG more & more into a federal military reserve. However, they don't have a job & can't seem to get one.

I do however think CAP can take some lessons from them on what to & not to do. Essentially they are doing the same thing Iowa is as far as running a professional military program to meet NG standards, but unlike CAP in Iowa, the SDF really doesn't have anything to offer once they've met those standards. They're trying hard to get into disaster relief, and are well ahead of us, but are finding there isn't much there for them. I do think there's things we should work together on, for instance http://www.sgaus.org/MEMSinfo.htm I think something like that in combination w/ SarTechII/I from NASAR & meeting the additioanl requirements for the new NIMS certifications coming out (which include on of several PFTs)... that's going to put you in pretty good territory.

Anyway, this article is from the same source material we've seen crop up on these boards five times now in the last few months. It's nice to see us discussed in that way & I hope CAP rises to the challenge. Ultimately I think of CAP as a federal level SDF to the AF (with OPCON at 1AF).

afgeo4

New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs has a State Guard force with Army and Air branches.

The Air branch is fairly new and hasn't really gotten off the ground yet, but the Army one has been around for a looooong time.  There is a unit colocated with my cap group hq and we've played with them and NYANG before as victims for their training, but we're now in planning stages of a volunteer military response drill locally that would involve CAP, NY Guard, CG Aux, and CERT teams.  It's a way to learn to work with each other and get to know each other's assets and capabilities.
GEORGE LURYE

TDHenderson

I am wondering if a bit of caution is required when contacting some of these "State Defense" type organizations.  Some research ahead of time into their background might be prudent so you don't stumble into a right-wing militia type group.

Hawk200

Quote from: TDHenderson on December 04, 2006, 04:38:53 PM
I am wondering if a bit of caution is required when contacting some of these "State Defense" type organizations.  Some research ahead of time into their background might be prudent so you don't stumble into a right-wing militia type group.

They're not self risen wannabe's. A state guard/defence force answers to the governor of that state, they are a legitimate state force, if that's what you're thinking.

There are some types that try to play militia, but have no support from the state.

The best thing to do is to look at the State Guard association website, it has links to the legitimate SDF's.

arajca

It also has links to illegitamite and wanna-be's (COSDF(P)).

If you are interested in getting involved with an SDF, contact your state adjuntant general. He'll know if there is a legitamite SDF in your state. Keep in mind, not all states have SDF's, IIRC, only 23 do.

DNall

I think that number is correct, & just a handful with Air or Naval components.

There really are roles we could work together on, you just have to be aware of teh politics & such in your state before you start down that road. It may be that the ADF is not in such good graces as it once was & you don't want to link to that star.

RiverAux

Almost every legitimate State Defense Force is represented by a web link on the Adjutant General or National Guard website for their state.  There are currently illegitimate groups that pretend they are SDFs in CO, FL, Washington DC, and KY. 

Psicorp

Quote from: TDHenderson on December 04, 2006, 04:38:53 PM

Ya know, left-wing militia types can be scary too, but they're usually waving lawyers, not guns.

I can't imagine Michigan having an SDF...doesn't seem like something Hillary's little sister would allow.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

DNall

Again, SDFs are official legal state entities under the command of the adjutant general & serve next to the national guard. They in essence are the national guard, but they don't get paid & they don't generally go out of state, never overseas. Varies to a degree from place to place, but NEVER are they militia groups. It's merely that a couple wacko wannabe groups have taken to calling themselves SDFs, when they most certainly are not. Actually they are to the state national guard exactly what CAP is to the AF.

If SGAUS has illegitimate orgs on their website, I'd suggest someone email them & the appropriate TAGs to have them removed.

arajca

SGAUS has been notifed several times about the illegitimate orgs they link to. They haven't taken the links down.

RiverAux

Quotethey don't generally go out of state, never overseas.

Actually, the Maryland Defense Force sent a medical unit over to Bosnia this year along with a NG unit on a humanitarian deployement.  It was a voluntary assignment for the SDF members.  As far as anyone knows, this is the first time an SDF unit has deployed overseas. 

DNall

Quote from: arajca on December 05, 2006, 10:05:55 PM
SGAUS has been notifed several times about the illegitimate orgs they link to. They haven't taken the links down.
That's unfortunate, I've always thought them to be a pretty stand up organizaiton. My experience with SDFs is rather limited to Texas & hearing a bit from California. I understand their legal status, but I'm not really in a good position to comment on states I haven't been exposed to, though I understand them to be a pretty mixed bag.

Quote from: RiverAux on December 05, 2006, 10:48:24 PM
Quotethey don't generally go out of state, never overseas.

Actually, the Maryland Defense Force sent a medical unit over to Bosnia this year along with a NG unit on a humanitarian deployement.  It was a voluntary assignment for the SDF members.  As far as anyone knows, this is the first time an SDF unit has deployed overseas. 
That's interesting. I hadn't heard anything like that. They aren't in uniform serving in military command are they? Texas has some kind of medical corps in tehir state guard, but I really don't know much about it. Something along the lines of DMAT I suppose.

Anyway, the point of SDFs is to stay & defend the state/serve all the state national guard roles while the regular national guard is federalized & deployed, or short handed cause they're training to deploy or just back from it.

They really have much bigger problems finding a mission than we do, but they tend to have the professional development & training side down pretty well from what I understand, again with rather limited exposure - basically what Iowa Wing is doing with their NG is the same thing as what most SDFs do, and the state of Iowa is getting one hell of a deal on it with all the subsidized resources CAP brings to the table.

RiverAux

Yes, the MDDF is a uniformed part of their military department and these medical personnel are part of it. 

Actually, most SDFs have the same relationship with their Adjutant General and NG that CAP has the AF -- they are generally ignored.  Many SDFs are still trying to go their own way as organizations supposedly there to take over for the NG, failing to realize that this is ever likely to happen again.  So, they pretty much go and do their own thing, with no money and no interaction.  I'd say most are in this position. 

Thankfully, a few SDFs (CA is the leader in this) are getting to be more integrated with their NG with a primary mission of supporting them while they are in the state.  That is gradually getting them more respect. 

Major_Chuck

The Virginia SDF is fairly active and receives support from the NG here.  They've even got an air wing (a few private pilots using their own AC) but they're doing the missions we want to do. 

(Someone should stop and think about that one at NHQ).

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard