Integrated Web Services for CAP

Started by KRCopes, December 02, 2006, 03:47:07 PM

KRCopes

Long time reader . . . first post.

As a member of this organization, I am continually frustrated with the poor flow and illogical setup of our web services that are supposed to provide us with ease of duties.  A perfect example of this would be the new Level One online course.  Let me point out a few of the flaws I have seen with this alone:

1.)  Difficult to find. It took me about 20 minutes from the time I logged in til I actually found out where the link for the Level One online course was, and I have been using the web for a while.

2.) I had to use the CAP Knowledgebase to find it. Most current members are not aware of the Knowledgebase, much less new members off of the street.  The current setup is getting to the point where the new member has to take a class to learn how to take the class on taking classes.

3.) Still fragmented once you find it.  After finding the course, I am faced with this website that now tells me that I will need to go to another website to get to this part of the course . . . then another site for Cadet Protection.

As a long standing member of 15 years, this frustrates me to the point of thinking that this program is not worth the effort.  I shudder to think what some new guy off of the street thinks. (Read: He or She Quits).

This is a symptom of a larger problem.  NHQ needs to seriously look at how their infomatics are affecting the membership. (Versus spending time coming up with another uniform change.)  As a squadron commander, I am required to submit reports on several areas, such as logistics, safety, operations, and member development.  I have to go to no less that five different websites to accomplish this task.

Here is my solution:  Simplify the interface where the rubber meets the road.  Instead of having a large nationwide setting for access, set up distinct unit websites that allow the commander to customize the modules for their unit, or even the individual.  Think that it can't be done? - Look at myspace or yahoo's personalized homepages.

The member goes to their webpage and it informs them of their status regarding operations, professional development, and required training. Content modules are added depending on their duty assignments.  And I'm talking about real modules, not the simple weblinks that e-services calls modules. And forms . . . have the online form look exacly like the paper forms we have used.  A good suggestion would be to look at IMT or Adobe to help with this.

And for goodness sake, start tracking the cadet achievements!

I think I broke my keyboard pounding on it, so I should probably stop.  Anyone else have any thoughts about the information stupor-highway we are currently using?

Chris Jacobs

Well then you can throw in all the different places that you can track ES qualifications.  my wing uses the WMU which uploads and downloads information to MIMS i think.  Then there is that new thing called WIMERs (i don't even know where to find, what it does, or let alone how to use it).  I would like to see a national standard for of this stuff to.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

arajca

WMU gets information from MIMS, but does not send information to MIMS. Despite much pleading and begging by several software developers donating their services to create useful tools for CAP members and units, National has yet to establish a protocol and interface for WMU, PLW, SIMS, etc, to use to import data to MIMS and it doesn't look like they will anytime soon.

National needs to put a link to the Level on courses on the "CAP Utilities" menu on Eservices, at the top. From there you go a page with instructions and basic info and links to the "CAP Foundations" and CPPT courses.

Another idea that may help is to establish a 'play area' on a separate website that members can beta test any new modules or changes to MIMS prior to role out. Upload the membership data from MIMS nightly, but nothing goes from the play area to the live area. My employer does this with every new intranet app they roll out for three months before roll out. It's nice to know I can totally screw up there and NOT effect anything - except when I crash the play area server. Oops. >:D

KRCopes

C/1st Lt. Jacobs;

>>> You're right.  ES qualifications could also be tracked.  Wouldn't it be nice to go to your CAP homepage and have a "dashboard" that tells you how close you are getting to expirations?  You click on that qualification and a popup tells you what you need to do to get current.

>>> You are also correct that e-Services and WMU do talk to each other, but not very well.  WMU still lists may members in my unit that have long since expired, and we are talking years. That proves that WMU and e-Services are using two separate databases. This is why one integrated database would be ideal.

Capt. Rajca;

>>> Even better than a link on CAP utilities is a defined section for distance learning comparable to AFIADL that integrates all of the online training, not just the sections that want to participate.  Currently the cadet program has it's own.  Operations another. Prof. Devel yet another.

>>> And think about this - - you go to your CAP homepage and there is a module that prompts you about your professional development.  The database knows that you haven't completed level one, so it prompts you to complete it.  It doesn't concern you with the SLS, CLC, or RSC because you don't need to know about those yet.

Pumbaa

Sad thing is, the National HQ web site is a reflection of the individual squadron sites.. or is it the other way around?

I check out sites of local squadrons and find they have not been updated for years.  Links are broken, design is poor, blah blah....

I am quite dissatisfied with the national website as well.  Trying to find things is a chore and most of the time I give up.

There is enough open source software out there that HQ could use.. Joomla/ Mambo, being one of them.  I am also sure there are enough volunteers in this organization that could whip the site into shape in less than a week.  I do agree, stop the uniform changes and get onto some meaningful projects that will help the membership and stop this bloodletting of members.

KRCopes

Pit Bull;

>>> First, excellent squadron webpage. I took a look after you made the comment.  Sorry about the hypocrite check.

>>>  You got me thinking about public affairs. Higher headquarters are always complaining about not getting press releases from their subordinate units.  The solution is to have one master blog that is housed at the NHQ level.  Tag each of the posts with the unit/group/wing/region that it applies to and then the user can specify what news they want to read.  The beauty is that the reports will automatically be sent to the higher headquarters and that it will appear on the appropriate people's homepages.
        The unit's PAO simply types up the press release with the relevant details and uploads any multimedia they want or need.  A few clicks and the post is up on the homepage of the unit members, automatically sent to the next level HQ, easily e-mailed to outside news agencies, and printable to be snail mailed.  No cut and paste needed.  One stop shopping and convenient, and all accessable from the PAO's own CAP homepage.

>>> I'm thinking that something like "my.cap.gov" could work for a title.  I'm beginning to feel like I might be on to something here.  Better watch out for the common sense police.

pixelwonk

<Off-topic>
From the Elmira CAP Webpage:
Funny patch that avatar is wearing.  :D

</Off-topic>

Pumbaa

hahaha I was wondering if anyone would notice.

I put that up lastnight for the fun of it.  Just my weird sense of humor I guess...

No worries on the hypocrite watch...  Better, walk the talk... 

I still have a long way to go on the website.  More on the logged in squadron side.  Trying to get cadets to start writing some stuff so I can add it in, and also create a squadron newsletter for them as well.  There is a forum on that side too.  I still need to populate the calendar as I only have it out two weeks and I am missing a couple of events.  Again the problem is people letting me know the FULL details of things before I put them up.

ADDED:  I do have a photo gallery system but I took it offline due to a security and layout issue, same with the chat software.  But you will note I remove the link as well, rather than leaving a dead page or coming soon page.

My web/poa time is rather limited due to work.. add to that, I'll be in NJ at an Army base for 2 weeks teaching.  So there goes any web updating.  We've got a wreath for America gig that I will be missing too :(.

But to my complaint of squadron websites.  As long as they are updated at least monthly, and the links checked I would not mind so much.  It is really a tough job to keep a web up to date.  I go to webs and they have not been touched since '03!!  They have events listed happening that are a year past!  It's one thing to keep chronological but man o man, be consistant!

I digress...

I designed my squadron website as a tool for recruitment and for the press to go to when I send PSA's to them.  Also I have cross links with local air museams, local townships, city webs etc.. So I need to keep things looking fresh and 'navigatable'.

Now back on subject... There are so many dead links on the HQ web, and pages that go nowhere (place holders), it is sad and frustrating.  Besides it looks bad to the outsiders and just gets the rank and file all hissy fitting like we are doing ;)  Don't get me started on the cludgey member system and trying to find stuff there.. ARRRGGGHHHhhh

OK I feel better.

ELTHunter

Yes, the web site leaves a lot to be desired.  It is very difficult to navigate, with some things being behind the secure area of e-services and some being under the members section in the non-secure area.

E-services, however, is much better then it was a few years ago, when virtually every ES achievement was requested and approved through paperwork that frequently got lost between squadron, group and wing officers, and it was impossible for staff officers to keep updated records unless they were very vigilant.

All said, it could be worse.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

RiverAux

Quotesome things being behind the secure area of e-services and some being under the members section in the non-secure area.

I like the stuff that you have to log into eserices to get to UNLESS you happen to have a direct link already to the page, in which case, no log in is necessary.  Super planning there.

KRCopes

>>> True, that the paper system had severe drawbacks, but it was clear cut how to process the paperwork.  You wanted to complete an acheivement or an ES qualification, you knew what form to get and fill out.  Attempting to find the right thing on e-services to fill out can be nearly impossible.  And  tutorials are few and far between.

>>> There is so much on the non-secure site that the general public doen't need or cares to see.  Why not have a dedicated members section that is both secure, functional, and easy to use?  Having a secure site doesn't mean that only secure stuff can be there.  I currently have three different passwords that I have to use for CAP purposes (four if you count my squadron's website, but that's because nation has nothing to offer the local units besides some non-interactive server space).  One for e-services, then one for the NTC, then one more for the WMU that my wing uses.  Why can't there be just one? Why? Why? Why? Why?!

SJFedor

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on December 02, 2006, 04:13:11 PM
Well then you can throw in all the different places that you can track ES qualifications.  my wing uses the WMU which uploads and downloads information to MIMS i think.  Then there is that new thing called WIMERs (i don't even know where to find, what it does, or let alone how to use it).  I would like to see a national standard for of this stuff to.

WMIRS, Web Mission Information Reporting System. It's used mainly at the Branch Director and higher levels for sortie tracking, manhours, cost, all of that. You pound in the info as to what your aircraft/GT's are doing, it comes up with cost analysis and a CAPF108 when you're done (Did AOBD* this weekend, got to experience it) It doesn't really have anything to do with logging ES quals, just tracking mission information. It's where SAR requests and SAR Training/ Form 5/91 training clinics are requested for AF $$$.  It's also where SDIS sortie pictures can be uploaded.

You can google it and find the login for it. Without updated privilidges though, the only thing you can really do is view the active and inactive missions for your wing. You get to it through the NTC secure login.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mawr

Quote from: SJFedor on December 04, 2006, 11:19:00 PM
You get to it through the NTC secure login.

Or you can go directly to it here:https://missions.cap.af.mil/wmirs/index.cfm.  You still go thru a log-in page but no need to go thru a link off the NTC page.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP