Question on Senior Member "Alertness and Functioning Protocols"

Started by Krapenhoeffer, August 02, 2010, 09:56:11 PM

AirDX

Quote from: raivo on August 03, 2010, 03:32:05 AM
Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on August 02, 2010, 09:56:11 PMIs there a way I can still brew good coffee in my dwelling?

Yes. Ignore your Orwellian city council.

And then vote the Commies out!
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

JC004

You can't legislate, ordnance, or otherwise force people into absolute safety.  It does not exist.  I bet cars kill a lot more people in your area than coffee makers.  I'm pretty sure your FD has to clean that mess up.  Why don't they ban cars?

You got your B.S. They're serving it to you in the form of "protection."

Is there someplace I can see this ridiculous regulation?

I once saw a chart of causes of death in the US.  ONE death was caused supposedly by an exploding BIC lighter.  Ban them?

There is only one solution to this...make them this coffee:  http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/d60c/

raivo

Coffee makers are not in themselves inherently dangerous. The reason something caught fire as a result of one is because someone was stupid or negligent, or some combination of the two. Don't be either of those, and you won't start a fire. (Unless something like an electrical short happens, and that could happen in any home appliance.)

I'm the last person to cry wolf about evil government plots to take away your rights, but seriously, yours needs a reality check. If your council-members really think it's their place to protect you from yourself... they need to find a new job.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Short Field

Quote from: NIN on August 02, 2010, 11:26:44 PM
My bet its college campus.   Happens all the time. Especially when some ham-handed chowderhead attempts to use a coffee machine to burn down the place.
Sounds more and more like a college campus and the single student housing (dorms or equivalent) on the campus.  Unless you want to believe all the apartments in an entire town are banned from having electric coffee makers. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Spaceman3750

It's because a coffee maker has an open heating element (the pad the pot sits on) in a tightly enclosed fire-prone space (apartment building). They're usually banned in dorms by fire code, often under blanket bans for anything with an open heating element.

The FD doesn't make laws, but there is fire code which has to be followed and can be enforced by the fire marshal; I'm not sure what force it carries in private residences.

JC004

Are stoves legal?

I wouldn't want to offend the fire department while I make my dinner...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2010, 09:27:53 PM
And candles, light bulbs, some laptop computers...

But I'd think a stove/range is, by definition, an "open heating element." 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Krapenhoeffer

I am a College student, but if I lived in dorms, I wouldn't have this issue, as we had drip coffee makers on every floor's lounge back when I lived in them.

Regardless, I'm not going to break the law, no matter how silly and stupid this one is. Nor am I one to argue with the second largest Fire Department in the state. I'm going to try the coffee press, and if that doesn't work out, one of my friends (who lives in his own house) about 15 minutes away on foot, said I could use his drip coffee maker.

Thanks for the suggestions, and you may now return to your regularly scheduled legal debate.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Major Lord

I would consider contacting trade organizations like AHAM ( http://www.aham.org/) who represent appliance manufacturers, or Coffee producers.  When a City Council thinks they can pass a regulation because no one is in a position to strongly contest it, they will, but the threat of defending their ridiculous and capricious actions in a court of law may cause them to rethink this. A few hundred thousand dollars here, a few hundred thousand dollars there, and the next thing you know, we are talking about serious money.

Your Apartment is your domicile, and this is a sacred thing in the law. Can they ban toasters? Hair dryers? Life support machines? Where does this authority come from? The founding fathers were pretty clear; From the consent of the governed. Revoke your consent.

It may seem like a tiny thing, but our founding fathers carried out acts of terror upon the British for trying to raise the tax on tea by about 3%, its best not to let these things get out of hand, so put them down like a bad dog before its too late.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Lord on August 03, 2010, 11:58:20 PM
I would consider contacting trade organizations like AHAM ( http://www.aham.org/) who represent appliance manufacturers, or Coffee producers.  When a City Council thinks they can pass a regulation because no one is in a position to strongly contest it, they will, but the threat of defending their ridiculous and capricious actions in a court of law may cause them to rethink this. A few hundred thousand dollars here, a few hundred thousand dollars there, and the next thing you know, we are talking about serious money.

Your Apartment is your domicile, and this is a sacred thing in the law. Can they ban toasters? Hair dryers? Life support machines? Where does this authority come from? The founding fathers were pretty clear; From the consent of the governed. Revoke your consent.

It may seem like a tiny thing, but our founding fathers carried out acts of terror upon the British for trying to raise the tax on tea by about 3%, its best not to let these things get out of hand, so put them down like a bad dog before its too late.

Major Lord

:clap: Second largest FD sounds like like it might be LA or Chicago or some place like that. This sounds like something they would try to pull.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

PHall

Quote from: davidsinn on August 04, 2010, 12:29:06 AM

Major Lord

:clap: Second largest FD sounds like like it might be LA or Chicago or some place like that. This sounds like something they would try to pull.

Read it again, he said second largest in the state.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on August 04, 2010, 01:50:03 AM

Yeah, could be Mount Pilot.

Just for snicks, who told you this or where did the info come from?  Were this to pop up in my town, I'd want
to see the verbiage in the Fire Code.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: PHall on August 04, 2010, 01:50:03 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 04, 2010, 12:29:06 AM

Major Lord

Yeah. I misread that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ol'fido

Is there a "Joe Dimaggio Bill"  requiring a 7 day waiting period before buying a "Mr. Coffee". >:D Or a cup capacity limit of 10 cups. :angel:
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Krapenhoeffer

And for further guidance, the second largest FD in the State, is the largest in the Co.

I'm an EMT in the Campus EMS, that happens to be within the Fire District causing my coffee woes.

If I were to use a Coffee machine, it would look really, really bad.

Since everyone knows who the Campus EMTs are, I can't use the "I'm not in uniform" thing.

I have to support the local Fire Department, as a matter of discipline.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on August 05, 2010, 01:09:28 AM
And for further guidance, the second largest FD in the State, is the largest in the Co.

I'm an EMT in the Campus EMS, that happens to be within the Fire District causing my coffee woes.

Since everyone knows who the Campus EMTs are, I can't use the "I'm not in uniform" thing.

Seriously? Time to buy 10 coffee makers, open shop in town, and film what happens.

I'm calling troll unless next post shows a source.

Krapenhoeffer

Well, I just went through the entire Fire Code, and there is no mention of coffee makers anywhere. Granted, according to the document, it hasn't been updated since the 1970s.

There is another General Ordinance which authorizes the Chief of the Fire Department to "Restrict or regulate any item which the Chief deems necessary for the prevention of fires."

Landlord says he's heard it from his Fire Department liaison on the grounds of "because we said so." He then proceeded to say that he agrees with the Fire Department, and went on and made his own ban on electric coffee machines, which he is empowered to do so by law.

@USAFaux2004: That is the "magic" of zoning. I can go out and get my business permit, bother the Common Council for about 5 minutes, and magically, my property is now zoned as commercial. However, my apartment is not my property. It is leased. And my apartment is zoned as an apartment.

HGjunkie

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 05, 2010, 03:04:42 AM
Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on August 05, 2010, 01:09:28 AM

Seriously? Time to buy 10 coffee makers, open shop in town, and film what happens.

I'm calling troll unless next post shows a source.
I think this qualifies as a troll/10.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF