Shadow Box Setup/Frame Arrangement - Got pictures?

Started by Майор Хаткевич, July 30, 2010, 06:14:25 PM

Майор Хаткевич

I'm going to work on my shadow box now that I've finally come to terms about rolling over to SM status.

I know there used to be pictures I saw of people tacking on the grade/ribbons and then framing that like a certificate basically. I want to see some pictures to get an idea of what I want/should do.

AlphaSigOU

Unfortunately, my CAP shadow box is packed away in a box somewhere...  :( I can give you a description of what I put in it:

Last full set of cadet ribbons with devices (if you can, invest in a set of UltraThins for the shadow box)
Wing patches (GA Wing (old style), FL Wing (old style 'pregnant alligator'), Overseas CAP, National Capital Wing, Texas Wing)
Shoulder marks (blue cadet major, blue senior TFO, blue senior first lieutenant, current gray senior captain - I haven't updated it to include Major)
Senior member ribbon rack
Blue cadet 3-line nameplate
Old style metal CADET CIVIL AIR PATROL plate (I could have made up a 'simulated' old style CAP crest name plate by ordering a blazer nameplate without grade and wing designation, but that's for the future.)
DEKALB 'ranger tab' patch (squadron patch for SER-GA-065; it was 09065 back when I was a cadink)

When attaching items to your shadow box you may need to either cut off the prongs and tack on some velcro to make sure they attach well to the velour background.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Майор Хаткевич

Excellent list, and gave me more things to add that I didn't think about. Now I know there are some pictures out there!

Flying Pig

...a chance for people to post pics of their shadow boxes? I thought we'd be up to 20 pages by now!

Майор Хаткевич

I know, it's surprising. I saw more of them on CadetStuff back in the day than here.

Pylon

I never got to making mine, and then I misplaced my old cadet ribbon rack somewhere in a move.  But I had one sketched out on a piece of paper.  I was basically going to put the cadet airman and NCO chevrons vertically up the left side (a lot easier when they only went up to C/MSgt ;) ) and my cadet officer pips down the right side.  And in the middle, the ribbon rack with wings over it.  And maybe a brass plate at the bottom with my final cadet grade and "date of retirement" (heh).

I'd imagine a standard military-type shadow box could be used if you can find the kind without the service seal already built-into it somehow.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PhoenixRisen

Check out www.usmedals.com

I ordered some stuff a while back, as I've been meaning to make shadow boxes for my dad and grandpa (AF and Army, respectively), and have been getting their catalogs ever since.  They have quite a bit in the area of shadow-boxes, and their catalogs contain dozens of examples.

Майор Хаткевич

DBlair

This is something I've been thinking about doing. I was hoping to see some photos to get ideas, but I expect I'll probably spend a while trying to figure out where to put everything. I've seen some amazing shadow box designs and I've seen some 'ok' versions. I guess it is all about creativity and layout.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 31, 2010, 06:29:59 PM
...a chance for people to post pics of their shadow boxes? I thought we'd be up to 20 pages by now!

The only way this would be 20 pages, is if we were taking about uniforms.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 02, 2010, 06:00:01 AM

Insignia = Uniform Items.

Maybe mentioning Uniforms does the trick as well?

DBlair

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 02, 2010, 05:10:17 PM

In that case...

UNIFORMS!

DakRadz

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 02, 2010, 05:10:17 PM

Anyone notice MIKE moved this to the uniform board after this post  ??? ;D

Anyway, I felt bad that no one was sharing, so I put together an incomplete shadow box.

The left is Navy JROTC- it won't change, I've moved from that school. The middle is AFJROTC- I couldn't find my metal rank, and I'll have more ribbons 9 months from now (when I graduate). The right is obviously CAP, and that will change immensely in the next three years.

Any further explanation will be given if anyone has questions.

I did Photoshop my last name to match my username :D

This is roughly the pattern I'll follow for my shadow box. Plus all ranks from CAP, when I buy them again. Any CAP that's obviously missing, has been donated to my squadron.

PhoenixRisen

What's that little thingy directly over your CAP ribbon rack and below the CAP insignia?

DakRadz

Toys for Tots pin. TFT toy/monetary donations drive- squadron's first major event after forming last year. 338 total man hours, 700 children provided with Christmas. Rather meaningful to me.

Майор Хаткевич

What are the ribbons after CAP Encampment ribbon? And what are the bottom three in your sig, one looks like the mitchell, but with closer spacing. Lol.

Major Carrales

Now, Now...before any of you start.  There are not "regulations" for shadow boxes.

As for the ribbons, recall that CAP cadets can wear JROTC ribbons (three if memory serves) with their ribbon rack.  Thus, if this display follows those conventions, it is not out of the realm of ho wit was worn during this person's cadet days.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Майор Хаткевич

Not saying he can't wear them, just want to know which ones he chose, etc.

DakRadz

Anything after my encampment ribbon is a JROTC ribbon. I'm still active in AFJROTC, so I wear anywhere from 0-3 depending on availability of an appropriate ribbon rack. In the Shadow Box pic the red/yellow is a second place air rifle competition ribbon (the medal is down below, same ribbon colors). The red/black one is for another air rifle competition.

In my sig, I have my Sons of the American Revolution Bronze JROTC Outstanding Cadet 2010 Medal ribbon. And yes, that's the title on my certificate ;D; then my academic ribbon with first award device, 5 competition device, and honor roll lamp (2 years); last is my color guard ribbon maxed out, showing at least 24 events

39-1 says that any three may be worn, so long as proper JROTC order for the ribbons is followed. So I switch them out randomly, to see who notices :D
Also, I did just change my sig- had the SAR ribbon in the wrong spot. Meant to fix, forgot.

Also about to add my rank to sig, as a cadet NCO missed my subtle C/officer designators. FYI.

Майор Хаткевич

Here is the cost of my shadow box items:

QuoteQty.     Item Name     Total
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Enlisted Flight Cap Devic    $5.80
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cap Metal Collar Insignia Mirro    $3.70
1 x    Civil Air Patrol Patch - Honor Guard    $2.00
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Airman Chevron    $5.20
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Master Sergeant Chevron    $7.00
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Special Activities Senior and C    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Rickenbacker Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Red Service Senior and Cadet Ri    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Mitchell Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Lindberg Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol Patch - Illinois Wing Patch    $1.95
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Ground Team Badge    $3.60
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Male Cadet Officer Service Cap    $7.40
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Goddard Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Find Senior and Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Encampment Senior and Cadet Rib    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Earhart Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Doolittle Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Curry Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Arnold Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Blue Name Plate

* Line 1: Hatkevich

$3.20
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Armstrong Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Afa Squadron Cadet of The Year    $2.25
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet 1st Sergeant Chevron    $2.75
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Chief Master Sergeant Che    $9.10
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Ch    $7.70
1 x    Metal Ribbon Mounting Bar for 15 Ribbons    $4.05
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - 4 Bronze Triangle Cluster    $1.40
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Bronze Triangle Ribbon Clasp    $0.65
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Wright Brothers Cadet Ribbon    $0.85
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Staff Sergeant Chevron    $6.05
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Senior Airman Chevron    $5.80
1 x    Civil Air Patrol - Cadet Airman 1st Class Chevron    $5.75
Total: $97.25

This comes with free shipping, and since I'm currently in refugee status, I don't have to worry about getting it soon, when I don't even know when I'll get home.

Either way, half the insignia will be donated to my unit, as I only need one of each. :P

Also, just realized I forgot C/Officer grades....<_<

Another $11.00 for C/Officer Insignia.

DakRadz

Not bad, even with the forgotten ranks.

My total to simply replace Navy JROTC ribbons is $25.35. No ribbon bar. I have a *lot* of devices...

All in all, I'll make some company much richer when I put my shadow box back together  :-[
But it will look outstanding! :D

Now, can someone else post pics of their shadow boxes? I put mine together, just for USAFaux2004. You can do it too!

Capair03

Is there any manufacturer that is best for a shadowbox for CAP? I've been retired for a number of years and have thought about a shadowbox, butnever researched who makes them?

DBlair

Quote from: Capair03 on August 16, 2010, 03:47:44 PM
Is there any manufacturer that is best for a shadowbox for CAP? I've been retired for a number of years and have thought about a shadowbox, butnever researched who makes them?

Craft stores have the basic shadow boxes if you wanted to put it together yourself- which is what it seems most people do. That being said, there are a variety of companies who custom make shadow boxes, but I don't really have much experience with them. I think a lot of it comes down to if the person is creative/artsy and how much money or effort they want to put into it.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Capair03 on August 16, 2010, 03:47:44 PM

As mentioned earlier in the company "Medals of America" (www.usmedals.com) has quite a bit of stuff in this area.  They don't stock CAP stuff, but they sell DIY kits for the shadow boxes.  They have a few examples throughout their website.

Dragon 3-2

I'm currently working on mine as well since i crossed over this passed January.

i don't have any pictures right now as im still trying to figure out how to get  everything mounted on there. ( solid wood backing + metal pins = major headache) but my plan is to take my white drill team cord, and red CAC cord and have them line the outer perimeter. on the left side going from bottom to top ill have the enlisted ranks pinned thru my GAWG, old squadron patch, and COS patch at the top center ill have the C/ officer service cap device my name plate, pre solo wings, ribbons, flight suit badge my AF ROTC hat device, three activity pins, my AJROTC service tape. going from bottom to top on the right ill have the C/officer ranks with major having my NCC ranks and my AJROTC black diamond next to each other on top of my Drill team patch, current squadron patch and NJWG patch. etched into the glass will be     Cadet Steven "Bear" Smith
                                                                                                      In Service October 3rd 2003
                                                                                                       Retired: January 15th 2010

ill get some photos up soon

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

jimmydeanno

Perhaps a different term than, "retired."  Also, "In Service" seems a bit odd too.

How about just:

Cadet Lieutenant Colonel Steven "Bear" Smith
03OCT03-15JAN10
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 23, 2010, 02:12:47 AM
Perhaps a different term than, "retired."

I've had a few talking-to's about this when referring to my NJROTC rank- the RM retired/prior service/AD tend to see this as something other than retirement.

I wish I could have done Sea Cadets- nothing like putting Honorable Discharge on your *cadet* shadow box ^_^

Nothing wrong with putting just the date and name on the plaque, though. You can even really retire from CAP years from now and put that in the box too! ;D

HGjunkie

Meh. Missing some items. The right section will be cleared out for C/officer grades when I get there. someday...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

vento

HGjunkie, the box looks really good.  :clap:
Just one suggestion if I may, use the regular US flag instead of the reverse charging flag intended for wear on the right arm.

HGjunkie

Quote from: vento on August 25, 2010, 09:03:11 PM
Just one suggestion if I may, use the regular US flag instead of the reverse charging flag intended for wear on the right arm.
Thank you! :D

Makes sense, but I had some flags with velcro on them from my dad's time in the army, so i used one of those. I'll get a regular flag next time i order something from vanwrap guard. :)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

I agree, the box looks outstanding.
IMHO, this is personal preference- if I were to put the American Flag patch in my shadow box, it would be the reverse patch used on the BDUs- for the simple reason that I wore that patch for years. I plan to represent the insignia and patches I wore/earned, not the "norm" or what looks better.
YMMV

HGjunkie

Thank you Vento and DakRadz. I do think the box could use some work though, this is a "rough draft". When I get time throughout the school year (doubt i'll get much, IB is a crapload of work) , i'll refine it and polish it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 25, 2010, 11:57:34 PM
Thank you Vento and DakRadz. I do think the box could use some work though, this is a "rough draft". When I get time throughout the school year (doubt i'll get much, IB is a crapload of work) , i'll refine it and polish it.

Er... looks good, but aren't shadow boxes for once you're finished with the service being represented?

a2capt

Heh.. you're finished with each rank.. each phase .. onto the next ;-)

.. why can't you start it as you move through it?

DBlair

One thing I'm have difficulty in deciding is how to organize things to represent involvement as both a Cadet and Senior Member.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DBlair on August 26, 2010, 08:30:02 AM
One thing I'm have difficulty in deciding is how to organize things to represent involvement as both a Cadet and Senior Member.

I'm going to keep mine separate, at least for the next few dozen years.

My reasoning is that I want to keep my CAP cadet stuff separate, and thus why I waited until the end of my cadet days.

Doing something now as a SM, would be somewhat lame, since I haven't had that much (or any) time as a SM. Maybe 10, 20, 30 years down the road, I can fill it in with specialty badges, grades, ribbons, etc etc.

20-30 years from now, I figure there also won't be that much that I'd be adding to it.

DBlair

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 26, 2010, 12:57:01 PM
Quote from: DBlair on August 26, 2010, 08:30:02 AM

I'm going to keep mine separate, at least for the next few dozen years.

My reasoning is that I want to keep my CAP cadet stuff separate, and thus why I waited until the end of my cadet days.

Doing something now as a SM, would be somewhat lame, since I haven't had that much (or any) time as a SM. Maybe 10, 20, 30 years down the road, I can fill it in with specialty badges, grades, ribbons, etc etc.

20-30 years from now, I figure there also won't be that much that I'd be adding to it.

Some questions I'm considering in putting together my shadow box...

- Should I have separate shadow boxes (Cadet/Senior) or just different sections of the same overall CAP shadowbox? Displaying ribbons can be complicated, considering as a SM they were essentially cut in half. Some say to put them together in one stack, whereas others say to keep them separate, but if separate how to decide which ribbons to put on which side as many apply to both. Not to mention how to display several shoulder cords.

- Should I have each and every grade insignia up through, or just the highest? Should I display these in plain metal insignia or on epaulets or shoulder boards?

Someday I'll get around to figuring out all this. lol

jeders

Just my .02 cents (deflation adjusted), I think that you should keep your cadet and senior boxes separate, it simplifies a lot of the other stuff. I prefer a rectangular shadow box personally. I'm still working on my cadet shadowbox, but my basic plan is metal rank from cutouts to C/2d Lt on the sides balanced in height. All my cadet ribbons top center under my cadet name tag. Below that go my qual badges. Below that model rocketry badge and patch side by side with squadron and wing patches at the top corners. Might throw in some extra little doodads here and there, but that's the basic plan.

Like USAFAux, I'll make a senior box in another 10 or 20 years after I have something to actually put in it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ßτε

Quote from: DBlair on August 26, 2010, 04:53:10 PM
- Should I have each and every grade insignia up through, or just the highest? Should I display these in plain metal insignia or on epaulets or shoulder boards?

My plan is to put my C/Lt Col on a shoulder board and the rest display as plain metal insignia.
(One thing I am missing is C/Amn insignia [old style with the shield attached to the insignia])

DBlair

Quote from: bte on August 26, 2010, 05:22:13 PM
Quote from: DBlair on August 26, 2010, 04:53:10 PM

My plan is to put my C/Lt Col on a shoulder board and the rest display as plain metal insignia.
(One thing I am missing is C/Amn insignia [old style with the shield attached to the insignia])

That is a good point. I don't believe I have many of my old-style chevrons left, considering that my unit as a Cadet traded them up each time we were promoted.

SarDragon

It's your box. Make it look like you want it to look.

I'm sure any box that I might put together will look significantly different from a box someone else puts together, based on different CAP careers.

My wife and I are both retired Navy, and her shadow box is very different from mine, and we're both happy with what we have.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 25, 2010, 08:14:40 PM

Meh. Missing some items. The right section will be cleared out for C/officer grades when I get there. someday...

Actually the triangular boxes are intended to hold funeral flags. The rectangular boxes are for the medals, insignia, and memorabilia
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 27, 2010, 04:49:47 AM
Actually the triangular boxes are intended to hold funeral flags. The rectangular boxes are for the medals, insignia, and memorabilia

Sometimes.

Mine has a flag flown from the Capitol, and my sweetie's has a flag flown from the USS Chief.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pierson777

Before I became a professional pilot, I worked as a custom picture framer.  I probably framed over 100 military shadow boxes.  My first was when I was 17.  I put all my CAP cadet stuff in a 16x20 frame with a red sweatshirt as the background...very amateurish.  I just pushed all the pins through cardboard, and the insignia touched the glass, not good.

As a former professional, here are a few pointers.  Use a shadow box or deep frame.  If you buy "off the shelf," it's usually not acid-free mat board and it will eventually fade.  Try to use acid free mat board.  Fabric or suede mat boards look great.  Preplan and arrange the insignia.  Once lined up where they should go, use a thumbtack to make the holes for the insignia.  This prevents breaking the pin backs.  Patches, epaulets, shoulder cords, etc. can be sewn onto a mat board with transparent thread, avoiding adhesive or Velcro.   Once again, use a thumbtack to make the holes for the needle and thread.  Coins can be mounted using coin mounts from a coin-collecting store. 

A couple other things to consider are a photo and an engraved plate showing your name, dates of service in CAP, duty position, etc.  Good Luck.  (sorry, I don't have any pics to share)

Dragon 3-2

Captain  Steven Smith
Eaker #2089

Tim Medeiros

When were you at GA-452?  I know a couple of the founding members from there.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Dragon 3-2

i was there from the start of the unit until i moved to NJ in 2007

Captain  Steven Smith
Eaker #2089

James Shaw

[smg id=371]

I was looking for ideas and came across this one. How about this shadow box. All I can say is WOW
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

vento

Quote from: caphistorian on January 13, 2011, 02:00:35 PM
[smg id=371]

I was looking for ideas and came across this one. How about this shadow box. All I can say is WOW

Am I seeing the gent on the left wear a Guayabera shirt with decoration. Don't give ideas to the CAP uniform committee.   >:D

capchiro

I am getting ready to do one for my deceased Father, retired USAF, Major, Master Navigator, WWII, Korea.  While I know there are no Reg's regarding shadow boxes, what is the general opinion on whether one should place all rank, Lt, Cpt., Maj. on display, or just highest earned?  Also, what about Wings?  He earned Observer Wings, Bombadier Wings, Navigator, Senior and Master Navigator.  Should all be shown?  After WWII, he was riffed and returned within 90 days as a Master Sargeant, but was re-instated as a 1Lt. for Korea.  Would one display that and how?  Also, he started off in the Army in 1942 and was enlisted in Graves Registration prior to Bombadier training and commissioning.  Would one try to display any of that and how?  Sorry for all of the confusion and questions, but I guess life was complicated for my Old Man.  God, I miss him.   Thanks for your opinions.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

baronet68

Quote from: capchiro on January 14, 2011, 01:01:41 PM
I am getting ready to do one for my deceased Father, retired USAF, Major, Master Navigator, WWII, Korea.  While I know there are no Reg's regarding shadow boxes, what is the general opinion on whether one should place all rank, Lt, Cpt., Maj. on display, or just highest earned?  Also, what about Wings?  He earned Observer Wings, Bombadier Wings, Navigator, Senior and Master Navigator.  Should all be shown?  After WWII, he was riffed and returned within 90 days as a Master Sargeant, but was re-instated as a 1Lt. for Korea.  Would one display that and how?  Also, he started off in the Army in 1942 and was enlisted in Graves Registration prior to Bombadier training and commissioning.  Would one try to display any of that and how?  Sorry for all of the confusion and questions, but I guess life was complicated for my Old Man.  God, I miss him.   Thanks for your opinions.

If it were me, I'd probably include only his highest enlisted and officer insignia.  For wings I'd include Observer, Bombardier, but only Master Navigator as the others navigator ratings would be redundant (if he'd only been a navigator then including all to show the career progression might look nice).  In addition to his medals, maybe include shoulder patches from any units he's know to have served with during the wars.

The nice thing about shadow box displays is that there really aren't any rules, you just do what you think is appropriate and looks good.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager