Cloth Rank Nuances

Started by DakRadz, July 29, 2010, 11:20:40 PM

DakRadz

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 19, 2010, 01:55:26 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 19, 2010, 01:05:13 AM
I know that while you are in both JROTC and CAP you can have one uniform for both. In the 39-1 it states that you can have both patches on your shoulders one on one shoulder and the other on the other shoulder, but what it doesn't state is the reg on all the other patches?
That no longer applies since patches were removed from the blue uniforms.
True sir, for blues I could simply wear my JROTC items with JROTC patch and CAP pin ons.

The new 52-16 (admittedly still in draft form) is slightly more ambiguous, and does not limit the sharing to blues. I believe this is the case- it's late, and I'll follow up with a reg cite if no one else does..

Hawk200

Quote from: DakRadz on August 19, 2010, 03:40:46 AMTrue sir, for blues I could simply wear my JROTC items with JROTC patch and CAP pin ons.

The new 52-16 (admittedly still in draft form) is slightly more ambiguous, and does not limit the sharing to blues. I believe this is the case- it's late, and I'll follow up with a reg cite if no one else does..
BDUs are configured differently between CAP and AFJROTC. The AFJROTC patch would not be an authorized one on a CAP BDU.

As to blues, not sure if wearing an AFJROTC shirt (or service dress jacket) with CAP accoutrements would be kosher, or appropriate. I wouldn't advise it, for the simple reason that we don't wear patches on blues anymore. It wouldn't look right, and even if legal, would make you stand out. The negative attention would probably not be worth the trouble.

DakRadz

Quote from: DakRadz on August 19, 2010, 01:28:03 AM
Well sir, I could, but...
Snip
I'm setting an example as the C/CC- I may be in another program, but I'm not mixing and matching even if authorized. It looks horribly non-uniform.
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 19, 2010, 05:08:01 AM
BDUs are configured differently between CAP and AFJROTC. The AFJROTC patch would not be an authorized one on a CAP BDU.

As to blues, not sure if wearing an AFJROTC shirt (or service dress jacket) with CAP accoutrements would be kosher, or appropriate. I wouldn't advise it, for the simple reason that we don't wear patches on blues anymore. It wouldn't look right, and even if legal, would make you stand out. The negative attention would probably not be worth the trouble.
I understand that part sir.
What I meant is that CAP Patches can go on the AFJROTC uniform- thus the cadet doesn't have to buy entirely new, identical to the free one they already have.
Quote from: CAPR 52-16 DRAFT(2) Cadets enrolled in CAP and AFJROTC who use the same uniform for both programs may
wear the CAP wing patch on the right shoulder and the AFJROTC patch on the left shoulder (for those
uniforms that require a wing patch)
. See CAPM 39-1 for details. Other JROTC patches are not authorized.
Being that service uniforms do not require a wing patch, and BDUs do (well, it's optional) this makes me think that this is a reference to any shared uniform. The current 52-16 simply says any uniform WILL have the wing patch (we still wore blues wing patches when that one was written). CAPM 39-1 simply addresses the wing patch on blues- was required, but no longer is- an update was placed in the reg so that you can still wear CAP insignia with an AFJROTC patch on service uniforms.

Now, with all that said, I would not do this now. It may be kosher legally, but I have so , so I would only be showing off that I'm in JROTC if I shared unis.

If I had joined while at the Air Force JROTC unit, I very well might have worn those uniforms until I could afford/knew I'd stick around long enough to use them.

If I managed to recruit my JROTC cadets to come to CAP, I would allow a 2-month grace period (after actually joining and receiving CAPID#) in which they could decide if they could remain a member and/or wanted to, as some may not like CAP as much and others would be affected by the distance (anywhere from 10-35 miles from my county to my meeting place, with most on the far end of that spectrum).

manfredvonrichthofen

They really need to put out a whole new 39-1. It is confusing especially to new members and most definitely to members who are coming back after a few years of active duty. In the Army (up until they adopted the new blues) you still wear your unit patch on the service jacket sleeve. I came back after almost six years and read the 39-1 and the sheet that comes in the binder, both state that you still wear the Wing patch on your shoulder. So I did. Come to find that it isn't kosher, we tried taking it off... well i always use a tight double stitch when I sew patches, so we tore the sleeve and my jacket was rendered unserviceable. Not saying that would happen to everyone, but it is disheartening when it does.

Someone just needs to sit down update the manual (as well as the photographs). So no one gets confused. I think that would also take some stress off of those cadets who are dual CAP JROTC.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 19, 2010, 05:22:00 PMSomeone just needs to sit down update the manual (as well as the photographs). So no one gets confused.
I'll second that one, and follow it up with an "Oh, yeah!"

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 19, 2010, 05:22:00 PMI think that would also take some stress off of those cadets who are dual CAP JROTC.
It would take stress off everyone, which is why it needs to be done.

However, a new pub won't mean anything if people don't read it. The latest Volunteer magazine has one PR type photo with a glaring uniform mistake. It's one of those things where the insignia is worn one way on one uniform; but in the same place on another, it's incorrect. Publications can't be complied with if they aren't read in the first place.

manfredvonrichthofen

QUOTE:
However, a new pub won't mean anything if people don't read it. The latest Volunteer magazine has one PR type photo with a glaring uniform mistake. It's one of those things where the insignia is worn one way on one uniform; but in the same place on another, it's incorrect. Publications can't be complied with if they aren't read in the first place.
/QUOTE

There needs to be a way to make sure that at least the CC of each squadron knows when a change is made. I know they put out memorandums a lot, but they are rarely known widely. Part of what I do for my squadron is to regularly look up and try to find any changes to memorandum that come out otherwise no one will know. Even still I miss quite a few and some are just impossible to find because they aren't actually published published, they are just written up and filed. Maybe a news letter from NHQ to wing to group to squadron would be nice.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 19, 2010, 06:07:03 PMThere needs to be a way to make sure that at least the CC of each squadron knows when a change is made. I know they put out memorandums a lot, but they are rarely known widely. Part of what I do for my squadron is to regularly look up and try to find any changes to memorandum that come out otherwise no one will know. Even still I miss quite a few and some are just impossible to find because they aren't actually published published, they are just written up and filed. Maybe a news letter from NHQ to wing to group to squadron would be nice.
Good process to look things up regularly. I don't see why the Volunteer can't have something on publication changes. Maybe an RSS feed could be implemented, or emails sent when there are changes.

By the way, you can use the quote button, and delete anything you're not addressing. The quote setup lets everyone know who's post you're addressing.

manfredvonrichthofen

Thank you... I didn't even see the quote button there  ;D

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 19, 2010, 07:30:29 PM
Thank you... I didn't even see the quote button there  ;D

It's awesome, ain't it?

If you do want to quote someone then surround the word quote and /quote with [XXXXX] and [/XXXXX]

Hawk200

EMT-83

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 19, 2010, 06:07:03 PM
There needs to be a way to make sure that at least the CC of each squadron knows when a change is made. I know they put out memorandums a lot, but they are rarely known widely. Part of what I do for my squadron is to regularly look up and try to find any changes to memorandum that come out otherwise no one will know. Even still I miss quite a few and some are just impossible to find because they aren't actually published published, they are just written up and filed. Maybe a news letter from NHQ to wing to group to squadron would be nice.
I encourage my members to check with me before they order any uniform items. If I don't happen to know the answer, we can look through 39-1 and the ICL's together. This job is better suited for the deputy commander, rather than squadron commander.

This has saved some headaches (and a few bucks) in the past couple of years. I started doing this after Vanguard sold a new member half CSU / half aviator shirt uniform items. He didn't know any better, and just called them and asked for a uniform!

As to keeping up with memos and regulation changes, that's what the admin officer is for. In fact, it's one of the few duties still relevant these days.