Main Menu

Do i need OBC?

Started by SARTAC Medic, July 29, 2010, 02:08:02 PM

SARTAC Medic

I was a former cadet who made earhart and then moved on to senior....

do i need the OBC course, or did i enroll in the online course for no reason? 

NY Wing SARTAC

MIKE

If you haven't previously taken AFIADL/ECI 13 as either a cadet officer, or senior, you'll need it.
Mike Johnston

ßτε

Since you earned your Earhart, you would be eligible for a technician rating in CP.
Had you earned the Eaker, you would also have been eligible for credit for SLS, OBC, and Level II.
Had you also earned the Spaatz, you would also be eligible for the senior rating in CP and the Yeager.

See CAPR 50-17 para. 9-1

MSG Mac

Quote from: LIG SAR Medic on July 29, 2010, 02:08:02 PM

Depends! Do you want to be a First Lieutenant for Life??
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Dracosbane

And don't let the OBC intimidate you.  It's actually easier than it seems at first glance.  I think if I'd actually put more than a couple of hours a night into it, I'd have completed it in a few days instead of the week or so it took me.

GroundHawg

Does anyone know what if any courses offered to us as CAP member transfer as CCAF credit?

MSG Mac

Quote from: GroundHawg on August 24, 2010, 12:55:36 PM
Does anyone know what if any courses offered to us as CAP member transfer as CCAF credit?

You would have to ask CCAF.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

arajca

As CAP members, we are not eligible to enroll in CCAF. That said, some of the course MAY count for college credit. Contact your school to find out.

GroundHawg

Im a reservist and am already in CCAF. I was trying to take a shortcut and not look up each couse to see what credit was given...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LIG SAR Medic on July 29, 2010, 02:08:02 PM

Welcome to the same boat fellow Earharter! :)

Like others mention, you get credit for Lvl1 Foundations via Mitchell, Technician rating in CP via Earhart (at the written request of unit commander to NHQ), Leadership ribbon via the Technician rating. However to round out Lvl2, you will still need OBC, and SLS.

SARTAC Medic

Yea, got most of it straightened out now thanks to fellow board members.   I finished the OBC online and had commander request the credit for me to get the technician rating.  All I am waiting for now is to have the SLS course run in november and i should be able to promote.   

Good luck to you
NY Wing SARTAC

Майор Хаткевич

I'm supposedly slotted for OBC this September, so hopefully all I'll need soon is SLS too. Of course, I'm not 21 yet (less than 6 months left), and my TIG won't start to count until then anyway. I have a few years to get that final requirement done. :)

disamuel

Just FYI, if it is a hassle to get to or wait for an SLS or CLC course, they are now both available as on-line courses. CLC was an eight week course which involved reviewing different presentations and regulations, and participating in an on-line forum. It was very well done, and run by Col. Skrabut from the Wyoming Wing.

You can sign up to get on a list for either course on this page:

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/online_courses__exams.cfm

SARTAC Medic

I did email and sign up for the online sls but have not heard anything back from it in almost 8 weeks.   If I could take it online it would be perfect, but alas no response yet.
NY Wing SARTAC

spacecommand

It does say for SLS:
" you are signing up now, you can expect to wait approximately 1 to 1.5 years for a slot to open in the course."

If you need SLS it might be faster if you can talk to your Unit CC and have them communicate up the chain to your Group.  Since SLS can be done at the group level, if you have enough people who need SLS maybe organizing someone to conduct SLS at the group level.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: spacecommand on August 27, 2010, 05:34:05 PM
It does say for SLS:
" you are signing up now, you can expect to wait approximately 1 to 1.5 years for a slot to open in the course."

If you need SLS it might be faster if you can talk to your Unit CC and have them communicate up the chain to your Group.  Since SLS can be done at the group level, if you have enough people who need SLS maybe organizing someone to conduct SLS at the group level.

^

My email also went into a black hole. My commander also told me that the concept behind the online SLS is really for folks who live too far away from anywhere there might be one happening. Since my area is good about getting these things done, chances are I'll end up taking it locally. 

vento

I had a blast doing the SLS locally with the Group, made a lot of friends from other squadrons. I will be attending the CLC locally tomorrow.
Somehow I have the feeling that the online version of SLS will be as much fun as an online traffic school....