Encampment: Origin of the term, in CAP context

Started by Eagle400, July 01, 2010, 02:05:43 AM

HGjunkie

Quote from: NIN on July 02, 2010, 07:21:33 PM

Did I mention that there was an encampment at Valley Forge?  I think the encampment commander was guy named Washington, while the commandant was a fellow named Von Steuben.    The weather really sucked...

Here's a picture from that encampment, I think it was taken during morning formation:

Must have been early in the week, since the formation looks a little rough still.

+5
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eagle400

Hey all,

NIN has made a great attempt at keeping this thread meaningful, and we're all better-off because of it. 

But unfortunately this thread --despite its good points-- will eventually turn into a self-licking ice cream cone (without my input).  I can tell already.   

Mods, can we have a lock please? 

ZigZag911

Before the lock is shut, I wanted to mention that I believe "encampment" was the term used in early versions of reserve officer college programs and also OCS...I'm talking World War I era, before the term ROTC was even used...possibly CAP picked it up from veterans of those programs involved with CAP during WW2

notaNCO forever

FYI their was a post about the Air Force BMTs warrior week it's now called B.E.A.S.T week(basic expiditionary airmen skills training.