Encampment: Origin of the term, in CAP context

Started by Eagle400, July 01, 2010, 02:05:43 AM

Eagle400

Never quite figured this one out.  Graduated 11 years ago... But still have no idea why it's called 'encampment'.

Anyone know?

Pylon

Sounded better than "Training Camp Where We Stay for A Week"
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

HGjunkie

"Encampment; Where you're guaranteed to get mosquito bites, terrible food, and a hard-assed flight sergeant for a few hundred dollars!"

Refunds not available within 30 days of camp. Certain restrictions apply. See your local encampment for details.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

BillB

Many of the original encampments were just that, a tent city for housing, and the term comes in part from the Civil War term for setting up tent camps for housing. Temporary military facilities during World War two were called Camps as opposed to permenant facilities known as Forts. Since then many Camps have become permanent such as Camp Blanding, Camp Pendelton as examples.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

dwb

NYWG really does have an encampment then.  We board our in-flight cadets in wood cabins built on GP-Medium platforms, and a pavillion walled off with tarps.  The staff sleeps in GP-Medium tents on grass.

It's a little, uh, austere, but it's what we have to do to get 144 in-flight cadets their encampment credit.

Eagle400

Alright, I get all that.  But can't they just call it Basic Cadet Training, or something similar?

I mean think about it... If CAP were JROTC, it would not be called encampment. 

dwb

Quote from: CCSE on July 01, 2010, 08:01:02 PMAlright, I get all that.  But can't they just call it Basic Cadet Training, or something similar?
A lot of squadrons run Basic Cadet Training for new cadets, usually over the course of several squadron meetings.  You want a distinctive term, so there's no ambiguity.

The term has historical context as a temporary military garrison (and a CAP encampment is a temporary garrison).

Lastly, at this point, everyone already knows the term and what it means.

Is that not enough reasons for you?

Eagle400

You know, I should've made this topic a poll.  Frankly, I'm cool with whatever most people feel is the appropriate term. 

Especially those who have no clue why this activity is called 'encampment.'

arajca

Quote from: CCSE on July 01, 2010, 08:01:02 PM
Alright, I get all that.  But can't they just call it Basic Cadet Training, or something similar?

I mean think about it... If CAP were JROTC, it would not be called encampment.
When I was in AFJROTC, our week-long field trip to the local (200mi) AFB was called...

wait for it...

Encampment

Eagle400

But isin't that a different type of activity? 

I'm not entirely sure what AFJROTC encampment consists of, but I've been told they have no equivalent to the CAP version.

I do know there's a week-long leadership camp for AFJROTC... but even that is different from a CAP encampment.   

SarDragon

<invokes "Meatballs">
"It just doesn't matter." C'mon, let's make it a chant - "It just doesn't matter." "It just doesn't matter." "It just doesn't matter." "It just doesn't matter."
</"Meatballs">
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: CCSE on July 01, 2010, 11:08:26 PM
But isin't that a different type of activity? 

I'm not entirely sure what AFJROTC encampment consists of, but I've been told they have no equivalent to the CAP version.

I do know there's a week-long leadership camp for AFJROTC... but even that is different from a CAP encampment.   
I didn't say they were the same. I said AFJROTC called their week long activity encampment.

a2capt

It's called encampment for the same reason a weekend camping activity is called a bivouac, which in broad terms usually means a "military encampment" .. (full circle) which would usually have referred to an un-fortified sleeping arrangement.. camping.

CAP's encampments are generally the farthest thing from camping there is in a youth organization.

So, go figure that one out.

Eagle400

Quote from: arajca on July 02, 2010, 03:46:19 AM
I didn't say they were the same. I said AFJROTC called their week long activity encampment.

Never said you did.  Just pointing out some information I received from another source.  Sorry for the confusion.

Eagle400

Quote from: a2capt on July 02, 2010, 05:29:47 AM
It's called encampment for the same reason a weekend camping activity is called a bivouac, which in broad terms usually means a "military encampment" .. (full circle) which would usually have referred to an un-fortified sleeping arrangement.. camping.

But that's just the thing; it's not a bivouac.  Even for those encampments using tents in place of buildings.  Two totally different activities. 

Here's an idea...

Require a 24-hr encampment exercise within 'encampment', so the whole big activity would have to be named something else.  Perhaps the encampment could be something like the AF's Warrior Week, but focused on ES/SAR and Disaster Relief instead.

Basically, Basic Cadet Training with Encampment as an activity therein.       

Quote from: a2capt on July 02, 2010, 05:29:47 AMCAP's encampments are generally the farthest thing from camping there is in a youth organization.

So, go figure that one out.

I've tried.  So far, nothing.   :-\ 

RiverAux

I probably saw more references to CAP "bivouacs" than encampments in WWII newspaper accounts. 

Pylon

Quote from: CCSE on July 02, 2010, 05:55:09 PM
Quote from: a2capt on July 02, 2010, 05:29:47 AM

But that's just the thing; it's not a bivouac.  Even for those encampments using tents in place of buildings.  Two totally different activities. 

Here's an idea...

Require a 24-hr encampment exercise within 'encampment', so the whole big activity would have to be named something else.  Perhaps the encampment could be something like the AF's Warrior Week, but focused on ES/SAR and Disaster Relief instead.

Basically, Basic Cadet Training with Encampment as an activity therein.

I'm confused.  What are you trying to solve? 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

"It just doesn't matter." C'mon, let's make it a chant - "It just doesn't matter." "It just doesn't matter." "It just doesn't matter." "It just doesn't matter."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

The canumdrom of "idon'tunderstanditsoithinkweshouldchangeittosometingiunerstand"...

It just doesn't matter.  It just doesn't matter.  It just doesn't matter.  It just doesn't matter.... :o

NIN

An encampment was sans buildings back when they were first called "encampments" because all they had were tents.

Did I mention that there was an encampment at Valley Forge?  I think the encampment commander was guy named Washington, while the commandant was a fellow named Von Steuben.    The weather really sucked...

Here's a picture from that encampment, I think it was taken during morning formation:

Must have been early in the week, since the formation looks a little rough still.

Later, when units like National Guard units would go to training events and stay in tents, those, too, were called "encampments' because they would "encamp" upon their area.

here's an example from local newspaper article about a similar encampment. Clearly their PIO was on the ball.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9800E1DC1439EF34BC4E51DFB0668389669FDE

Again, these folks would be "encamped" in field environment, or in temporary (read as: tents) quarters where there might not exist sufficient quarters for the number of people, such as below:

here's a great shot from an encampment at Fort Indiantown Gap, where PA wing holds theirs still

lots of people + few buildings = encampment with tents

Only later, when the Air Force got done building the Officers Clubs were sufficient buildings available that all the troops conducting annual, semi-annual or similar training could be housed in hard-sided facilities with lights and even plumbing.  I think most of this occurred after the war.

There you have it, a short history of the term "encampment"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

HGjunkie

Quote from: NIN on July 02, 2010, 07:21:33 PM

Did I mention that there was an encampment at Valley Forge?  I think the encampment commander was guy named Washington, while the commandant was a fellow named Von Steuben.    The weather really sucked...

Here's a picture from that encampment, I think it was taken during morning formation:

Must have been early in the week, since the formation looks a little rough still.

+5
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eagle400

Hey all,

NIN has made a great attempt at keeping this thread meaningful, and we're all better-off because of it. 

But unfortunately this thread --despite its good points-- will eventually turn into a self-licking ice cream cone (without my input).  I can tell already.   

Mods, can we have a lock please? 

ZigZag911

Before the lock is shut, I wanted to mention that I believe "encampment" was the term used in early versions of reserve officer college programs and also OCS...I'm talking World War I era, before the term ROTC was even used...possibly CAP picked it up from veterans of those programs involved with CAP during WW2

notaNCO forever

FYI their was a post about the Air Force BMTs warrior week it's now called B.E.A.S.T week(basic expiditionary airmen skills training.