what hat to wear?

Started by miles, June 15, 2010, 11:00:19 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 16, 2010, 03:57:15 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 16, 2010, 12:04:47 AMMilitary regulations work both ways.....mostly they work on the "that which is not forbidden is permitted" model.
No, they do not. Especially, since many pubs usually state that any deviations are not authorized. 

It's been demonstrated before how "that which is not forbidden is permitted" is inherently flawed. This idea needs to go away.

Hawk...I don't know if you are or were in the USAF....but in my 22 years of AD service....that is exactly the way they work. 

Regs generally tell you what you MUST do, what you SHOULD do and what you CAN'T do.....everything else is free and open game.

Even with that said...even when they say "no deviations are authorised" there are many, many, many times I have willfilly, with benevolence aforethought, violated the regulations.

As I said before....we spend a lot of time training our leaders how to use the regulations and when and how to break them.

And as I have stated before....the USAF routinely violates 36-2903.

As for the concept that "that which is not forbidden is allowed"......the alternative is regulations that micro manage every aspect of every job in every location across the world.

For example....find me the regulation that covers combat gear and how to properly wear it.

By your interpretation we can't wear it as it is not in the AFI.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jb512

And here I am quoting regs after I just got done arguing with someone who wants me to shove my BDU hat in my cargo pocket just because the reg says to.

I'm such a tool now.   ::)

miles

I have searched, emailed and made phone calls. and yet, have not found an answer on approved headgear.

brasda91

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 15, 2010, 11:03:13 PM
..but with the BDU, only the BDU cover or a squadron cap is authorized.

Keeping in mind, the squadron cap should only be worn at squadron activities.  Once you show up at any other level of activity, the correct cap is the BDU cap.  Needless to say, some Wing CC's inappropriately authorize squadron caps at Wing events.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

lordmonar

Quote from: miles on July 14, 2010, 07:49:59 PM
I have searched, emailed and made phone calls. and yet, have not found an answer on approved headgear.

Squadron hats and BDU covers are the only approved hats.

Acitivity hats may be worn at the acitivity. (with a very few execptions).

If in doubt use your chain of command.

lordmonar

Quote from: brasda91 on July 14, 2010, 08:00:56 PM

Keeping in mind, the squadron cap should only be worn at squadron activities.  Once you show up at any other level of activity, the correct cap is the BDU cap.  Needless to say, some Wing CC's inappropriately authorize squadron caps at Wing events.
Got to call BS on this one!

Unless a sepcific hat is mandated (and provided) by the acitivity any approved hat is okay to wear.

Patterson

^ true.  However if a Wing Hat is authorized and mandatory i.e. blue, or red or orange etc., does the member wear that out of the Wing to an activity in another wing that follows 39-1 or would the member be required to purchase the standard headgear i.e. BDU Cover.   

PHall

Quote from: brasda91 on July 14, 2010, 08:00:56 PM

CITE PLEASE!!!

lordmonar

Quote from: Patterson on July 14, 2010, 11:15:03 PM
^ true.  However if a Wing Hat is authorized and mandatory i.e. blue, or red or orange etc., does the member wear that out of the Wing to an activity in another wing that follows 39-1 or would the member be required to purchase the standard headgear i.e. BDU Cover.

Yes.

Patterson

^ Yes as in..... the member must wear whatever the required hat is for the wing they are visiting??

If so, that is a waste of money. 

ol'fido

Simple answer...Buy a BDU cover...It works for everyone.  ;D ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

lordmonar

Quote from: Patterson on July 15, 2010, 12:54:04 AM
^ Yes as in..... the member must wear whatever the required hat is for the wing they are visiting??

Unless the activity specificaly states "you will wear XXX hat"...the hat you normally wear to your squadron meetings should be good....no matter what or where the activity is at.

DC

Quote from: miles on July 14, 2010, 07:49:59 PM
Look at page 41 of CAPM 39-1, that addresses all authorized headgear for USAF style uniforms. Page 62, item 6 also specifies what is allowed for BDUs. If it isn't on that list, it isn't allowed.

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on July 15, 2010, 03:37:10 AM

Unless the activity specificaly states "you will wear XXX hat"...the hat you normally wear to your squadron meetings should be good....no matter what or where the activity is at.
No. Items authorized by a wing commander may only be worn within that wing. Ref CAPM 39-1, Table 1-3. Line 2:
QuoteIn all cases, these items will have no national significance or recognition as a
part of the CAP uniform. They will not be worn at summer encampments or
national events (cadet exchange, special activities, etc.), unless specifically
authorized by National Headquarters. They may be worn only while
performing the duty for which the use of the items was authorized.
Wing/region approved items will be worn only within the boundaries of the
authorizing commander.
emphasis mine

Krapenhoeffer

Uh, why not just do the thing authorized by the GTM task guide for ES? Wear an orange hard hat.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Eclipse

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 19, 2010, 09:18:06 PM
Uh, why not just do the thing authorized by the GTM task guide for ES? Wear an orange hard hat.

The GT Task book actually says:
The BDU cap may be replaced by a hard hat or bright colored cap based on mission needs.

Which equals "field use only", nor is there a specification of color.

In 99.99999999% of our operations there is no need for a hard hat, and they are generally 2-3 times the cost of the BDU hat.  Who is going to pay for that?

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2010, 09:36:39 PM
Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 19, 2010, 09:18:06 PM

The GT Task book actually says:
The BDU cap may be replaced by a hard hat or bright colored cap based on mission needs.

Which equals "field use only", nor is there a specification of color. Note, there is no specification of color,

In 99.99999999% of our operations there is no need for a hard hat, and they are generally 2-3 times the cost of the BDU hat.  Who is going to pay for that?

Not to mention it would look kinda dorky unless you're doing ES in a construction site.  Or just stepped off the short bus...

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on July 19, 2010, 09:13:25 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 15, 2010, 03:37:10 AM

No. Items authorized by a wing commander may only be worn within that wing. Ref CAPM 39-1, Table 1-3. Line 2:
QuoteIn all cases, these items will have no national significance or recognition as a
part of the CAP uniform. They will not be worn at summer encampments or
national events (cadet exchange, special activities, etc.), unless specifically
authorized by National Headquarters. They may be worn only while
performing the duty for which the use of the items was authorized.
Wing/region approved items will be worn only within the boundaries of the
authorizing commander.
emphasis mine
We are talking about squadron hats...not other special insignia, cords, ascots, et al.

DakRadz

Quote from: ol'fido on July 15, 2010, 03:04:40 AM
Simple answer...Buy a BDU cover...It works for everyone.  ;D ;D

I second this- they only cost $6.95 from thehock.com

The shipping is free, many activities require you to at least arrive in a BDU cover, and there can be no argument that you are out of uniform because of wearing the BDU cover (use common sense with that statement)

P.S. I'm BACK!!!!!!!!!!! :D
And almost a cadet officer ^_^

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."