Miniature or Regular?

Started by Fly Boy, June 12, 2010, 12:51:44 AM

Fly Boy

For those with wings, which do you prefer on the AF Blues? Miniature or Regular size?
Also, are there even cloth glider wings? Looking on Vanguard they do not appear.

Thanks, Fly Boy

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

Eclipse

Miniature for both wings and Ground badge, bear in mind they should match mini/mini, full/full.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The place that got C&D'ed used to sell cloth glider wings, now that their inventory has been assimilated ..

JROB

I wear full size wings and Senior Ground Team badge.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

Gunner C

While it's legal to wear regular size on a shirt and mini on the blues, you're best off with going with the traditional:  blue shirt takes a miniature while the service dress jacket takes the regular (full) size.

JC004

Quote from: Gunner C on June 12, 2010, 01:55:36 AM
While it's legal to wear regular size on a shirt and mini on the blues, you're best off with going with the traditional:  blue shirt takes a miniature while the service dress jacket takes the regular (full) size.

Indeed.

Custer

Quote from: JC004 on June 12, 2010, 02:44:13 AM
Indeed.

I wore full size wings on the shade 1549 shirt, but thats been gone a Looooong time

JC004

Quote from: Custer on June 12, 2010, 04:11:31 AM
Indeed.

I wore full size wings on the shade 1549 shirt, but thats been gone a Looooong time

Off with your head!  Unless you support the destruction of the Triangle Thingy...

jb512

+1

Traditionally in the Air Force we wear mini wings on the shirt and the bigs on the service dress.

Officers normally wear mini wings with no ribbons on the blues shirt while enlisted wear ribbons and I've seen both minis and bigs there so...

PHall

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 12, 2010, 03:14:43 PM

+1

Traditionally in the Air Force we wear mini wings on the shirt and the bigs on the service dress.

Officers normally wear mini wings with no ribbons on the blues shirt while enlisted wear ribbons and I've seen both minis and bigs there so...

Just don't be a tool and wear Regular size wings on Mess Dress. Yes we know it's authorized, but it screams "look at me, I'm a pilot!!!"

jb512

Quote from: PHall on June 12, 2010, 03:29:26 PM

+1

Just don't be a tool and wear Regular size wings on Mess Dress. Yes we know it's authorized, but it screams "look at me, I'm a pilot!!!"

Crazy officers and their pilot wings...

8)

HGjunkie

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 12, 2010, 03:38:27 PM

+1

Crazy officers and their pilot wings...

8)
+1
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Gunner C

+1

What THAT says is "Look at me!  I can't read and can't find my wallet with both hands and a flashlight!"  Please tell me that you've never seen that and you just made it up.

PHall

Quote from: Gunner C on June 12, 2010, 05:29:24 PM

+1

What THAT says is "Look at me!  I can't read and can't find my wallet with both hands and a flashlight!"  Please tell me that you've never seen that and you just made it up.

Seen it at a military wedding I was a participant in. :-[

Custer

Quote from: JC004 on June 12, 2010, 05:43:05 AM
Quote from: Custer on June 12, 2010, 04:11:31 AM
Indeed.
Off with your head!  Unless you support the destruction of the Triangle Thingy...
Oh I most certainly do.  Death to the Triangle Thing!  Seriously, it looks like a joke

Considering the 1549 shirt has been gone for about 30 years, I'm surprised anybody remembers it.  For those who don't, it was a long sleeved shirt that was the same color as the pants.   The Coast Guard Aux still has one like it.  In the USAF I wore mine to Nav school at Mather AFB in 1980 but I was the only one, and it passed from existence only a year or so later.

The light blue shirts currently used sag badly if you wear full size wings on them.   I'm actually surprised badges and wings were never made out of plastic.  I have never even seen unauthorized ones like that.

SarDragon

I loved my 1549 shirt! I wore mine as much as possible. It pained me to give up wearing it. I was the same way about the USN version of that uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

I wore a regular sized metal GT badge on both my service dress and service uniforms... The mini ones didn't come out until later.  I did not think just the regular sized GT badge looked too big on the shirts, but that was all I wore.  Had seen a lot of the mini wings and regular specialty insignia mix BITD also.

The CG just came out with a new Winter Blue shirt that has sewn in military creases.  I have been meaning to get one, but it's kind of out of season now.
Mike Johnston

jb512

Quote from: MIKE on June 12, 2010, 10:05:51 PM
I wore a regular sized metal GT badge on both my service dress and service uniforms... The mini ones didn't come out until later.  I did not think just the regular sized GT badge looked too big on the shirts, but that was all I wore.  Had seen a lot of the mini wings and regular specialty insignia mix BITD also.

The CG just came out with a new Winter Blue shirt that has sewn in military creases.  I have been meaning to get one, but it's kind of out of season now.

Everybody I've seen in the AF uniform with just the crab claw AFSC badge wears the full size.  I don't think I've ever seen a mini on anything unless they were wearing them with the mini wings.

PHall

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 12, 2010, 10:09:58 PM
Quote from: MIKE on June 12, 2010, 10:05:51 PM

Everybody I've seen in the AF uniform with just the crab claw AFSC badge wears the full size.  I don't think I've ever seen a mini on anything unless they were wearing them with the mini wings.

Probably because the miniature speciality badges were discontinued about 10 years ago.

AlphaSigOU

I think the only two sizes offered for AFSC badges are regular and 'mid-size'; don't think I've seen miniatures of them.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040