Uniform Tips And Tricks?

Started by ASchlagel, June 08, 2010, 08:17:28 PM

Thunder

I'm in Missouri Wing. My pockets are used all the time. Never seen where in the 39-1 it says to sew them shut. I use my breast pockets on BDU's to hold my pens while performing Scanner duties and also stow extra batteries for the GPS datalogger too. Don't want them falling out when sitting...

I use the BDU as flight uniform because I wanted to pick one uniform to make complete for $$ reasons and time...its appropriate for all CAP duties so thats what I wear. Anyways, just explaining in case some ask why I wear that in the planes. I want to be prepared to do either ground, base, or air assignments without a superman drill.

To me, a starched crispy BDU is like a shiny, clean, lifted pickup truck.

davidsinn

Quote from: Thunder on June 11, 2010, 09:24:05 PM

Awesome.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jb512

Much better than trying to buff out the dents and dings of a clean old Pinto.

Gunner C

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

My detachment was ambushed by a sergeant major coming in after a 4 day patrol.  We were covered with mud and sweat, our faces were green with camo, and we had 5 days of beard growth.  He jumped all over us for not "looking like soldiers."  Huh?  We'd been out chasing bad guys, doing exactly what soldiers do.  He was in a fresh set of jungle fatigues and spit-shined boots.  He had on a pistol belt with a M1911A1 in the holster.  We were too tired to argue and just wanted a shower and some chow.  My team sergeant, however, was pissed.  He said "Sergeant Major, my guys just cleaned their weapons 4 hours ago and were ready to fight.  When was the last time you cleaned that pistol?" (It goes dark after that)  ;)

There's a time and place for looking neat and clean and there's a time to be functional.  I've never thought much of folks who sew their pockets shut.  What they're saying is that they really don't ever do anything.  Look good in "the rear" and make sure all your gear is functional in the field.  Starch out in the woods is REALLY uncomfortable.  Discomfort (more than you're going to have anyway) takes away from your ability to do your job.  It's distracting.  I've always kept field uniforms and garrison uniforms.  Even in CAP, I never used a brand new set of BDUs for going out in the sticks.  YMMV

vmstan

Quote from: RobertAmphibian on June 11, 2010, 03:09:36 PM
Quote from: Marshalus on June 11, 2010, 02:57:54 PM
Starching BDUs sounds like a real waste of time.

Maybe, but it helps teach overall uniform care and presents a much more professional appearance. Most cadet/composite squadrons I know spend at least half their meetings in BDUs. Unless you're doing ES stuff or actually working, you'll look WAY more professional with some starch.

I can see your point, but my BDUs are there to be used a moments notice to perform SAR/ES missions if called upon. I keep them washed, in good functional order and ironed for a clean appearance. If CAP wants to pay for me to maintain multiple sets of of BDUs beyond the two that I have, and have some that are starched crispy and stand up on their own for use at meetings, and another set for missions, then I can let them know where to send the checks.

As it is, I have been complemented by others in my unit for my BDUs as well as members of the public.

If I'm going to be meeting an AF General (doing that Tuesday BTW), I'll do it in professionally pressed blues with starched shirts.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Short Field

and with no tool box to mess up the looks.....
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RobertAmphibian

If you have a new-ish set of BDUs, a lot of times they'll stay wrinkle free without any starch as long as you iron. But the majority of my cadets end up with not-so-gently used uniforms that simply can not be tamed without some starch.

I don't obsess over my BDUs, and I only starch them maybe once a month. They don't need to "stand up on their own." It's really not that big a deal. All you have to do is spray a little on before you iron. Doesn't make a difference in comfort either.

And obviously ES types don't have to worry about this nearly as much as members who don't do ES.

manfredvonrichthofen

I do ES, I love ES... GT... I do starch my BDU's. My thought is that the uniform is to be worn and shown a certain way, not only for inspections but also to show a little respect to those who wore the uniform before us. There are those who have died in this uniform, and we should show them the respect of wearing a proper uniform. Properly fitting, and properly prepared. If you think about it, the proper wear and appearance of your uniform can be easily tied to customs.

DakRadz

Quote from: davidsinn on June 11, 2010, 07:27:37 PM
I guess I just don't have a lot of patience for the form over function mindset. If hardkewl cadets spent half as much time on looking good and more time on understanding the concepts behind making a good looking uniform then we'd be much better off.
Thread, ATTEN-HUT!
There's an officer with vision, purpose, and a *point* on deck.
As a current cadet, I completely agree. I would rather have a cadet with Core Values, Cadet Oath, and current job description memorized than a Super Starch Warrior who forgot the name of their current rank/corresponding ribbon.

Emphasis mine.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on June 12, 2010, 03:24:03 AM
I guess I just don't have a lot of patience for the form over function mindset. If hardkewl cadets spent half as much time on looking good and more time on understanding the concepts behind making a good looking uniform then we'd be much better off.
Thread, ATTEN-HUT!
As a current cadet, I completely agree. I would rather have a cadet with Core Values, Cadet Oath, and current job description memorized than a Super Starch Warrior who forgot the name of their current rank/corresponding ribbon.

Emphasis mine.
I agree with your post, but I don't mean to be negative, it's TENCH-HUT!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 12, 2010, 03:38:04 AM
Thread, ATTEN-HUT!

Emphasis mine.

Hehehe. Check the siggy. I'm prior Navy JROTC cadet- I gladly submit that I am incorrect, but my two retired USAF instructors haven't stopped me ^_^ All the CAP and JROTC cadets say TENCH-HUT, so I'm not teaching incorrectly.

EDIT: That would also be the reasoning behind my using "officer on deck" as opposed to in the thread/etc.

RobertAmphibian

As a current cadet, I realize the two are not mutually exclusive. You can have a great uniform and have a good understanding of knowledge and concepts.

Short Field

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 12, 2010, 03:18:19 AM
I do starch my BDU's. My thought is that the uniform is to be worn and shown a certain way, not only for inspections but also to show a little respect to those who wore the uniform before us. There are those who have died in this uniform, and we should show them the respect of wearing a proper uniform.
I think very few of them died wearing a starched uniform unless they were in the Pentagon when it was bombed.  Uniforms need to be worn according to the regulations - not some individual's idea of what looks cool...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

DakRadz

Quote from: RobertAmphibian on June 12, 2010, 04:13:52 AM

As a current cadet, I realize the two are not mutually exclusive. You can have a great uniform and have a good understanding of knowledge and concepts.
Very true. We were discussing the extreme ends, however. Not the ideal cadet. And many cadets do get wrapped up in the uniform's look at some point, then straightens out. But I was talking extreme polarizations.

manfredvonrichthofen

No they weren't wearing a starched uniform, but we do pay a bit of respect by wearing it properly and neatly.

JayT

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on June 12, 2010, 06:16:21 AM
No they weren't wearing a starched uniform, but we do pay a bit of respect by wearing it properly and neatly.

Exactly. Not some absurd toy soldier parody, but properly and neatly.

To the cadets who sew their pockets down, I ask this. If you're on encampment staff, and a cadet hasn't sewn down their pockets, are they wrong? What if they don't have creases sew into their pants? Sure, its not strickly kosher with the regs, but it looks good, right?

I wear a utility uniform to work. Should I sew my pockets down? I'm in the public eye constantly, and my apperance needs to inspire confidence in my patients, family, coworkers, and fellow emergency services dudes. Does sewing my pockets down do that?

Are your cadets going to think "Man, that SNCO really knows his stuff!" Or "Man, that guy doesn't know how to take care of his uniform so he takes shortcuts."

What about the regular military guys? How many of them sew down their pockets? Are they wrong? And Lord help those Army guys, guess they have to spot weld the zippers of their ACU shirts down.

As you get old, you start to realize what the important parts of the cadet program are. CAP taught me how to study. It taught me how to iron. It taught me the importance of saying "sir" "ma'am" and "please." It taught me how to read formal manuals and instructions.
The uniform stuff, the drill and ceremonies stuff, are important in context. However, a starched patrol cap won't get you into the school you want, and sewing the pockets down of your dress shirt won't get you much more then odd looks during an interview. 
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on June 12, 2010, 04:02:50 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 12, 2010, 03:38:04 AM
Thread, ATTEN-HUT!

Emphasis mine.

Hehehe. Check the siggy. I'm prior Navy JROTC cadet- I gladly submit that I am incorrect, but my two retired USAF instructors haven't stopped me ^_^ All the CAP and JROTC cadets say TENCH-HUT, so I'm not teaching incorrectly.

EDIT: That would also be the reasoning behind my using "officer on deck" as opposed to in the thread/etc.
As long as your cadets don't get it wrong, I really dont have a problem with it. I like the Officer on deck thing you did though.
;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 12, 2010, 05:01:59 PM

As long as your cadets don't get it wrong, I really dont have a problem with it. I like the Officer on deck thing you did though.
;)

:-[ :-\ >:( :P :'(
Just realized that if I'm ever to be encampment staff, go to the Honor Guard Academy, or any other Activity outside the home squadron... It's got to be ATTEN, erm, TENCH-HUT!

Anyway, a little starch can be okay (I've used it) but not when excessive. I recall thinking the starch just made my ironing job more difficult without improving upon my prior appearance.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on June 12, 2010, 06:32:50 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 12, 2010, 05:01:59 PM

;)

:-[ :-\ >:( :P :'(
Just realized that if I'm ever to be encampment staff, go to the Honor Guard Academy, or any other Activity outside the home squadron... It's got to be ATTEN, erm, TENCH-HUT!

Yup. Better study the D&C manual!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Nathan

Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.