"Crunkled" - one of my ten most favorite words!  :clap:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Of course, you could do what we used to do. Wear it for the summer, and the sweat just makes it stay. Stow it, pull it out, straighten it, and you're good to go again.

Not recommended if you want a good smelling patrol cap.

HGjunkie

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 09, 2010, 01:21:05 PM
Of course, you could do what we used to do. Wear it for the summer, and the sweat just makes it stay. Stow it, pull it out, straighten it, and you're good to go again.

Not recommended if you want a good smelling patrol cap.

Yeah, and all those salt stains look good too. ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jb512

Quote from: ASchlagel on June 08, 2010, 08:25:16 PM
Well in our Squadron no one ever puts their covers in their pockets, were outside most the time and when we are inside we are only in for a few moments. So it works for us. Also I got that from a man who was in the army for 20+ years. Todays the first time im testing it, so ill get back to you on that.

Don't let these guys rag you on the hat.  For some reason every single time someone mentions starch and BDU in the same sentence they get all twisted.  I've never balled up my hat in my pocket and I never plan to.

When I was a cadet I always starched my hat and my uniforms... still do as a senior.  Had them do extra super heavy starch from the cleaners and did my own hat as well.  To me nothing looks sloppier than someone who looks like they crawled out of bed in their uniform and strolled into a meeting.  It also looks sloppy to the public too.

While it was mostly due to a buildup of dirt and old repeated applications of sweat rather than starch, in basic I was actually complimented by a random TI about the shape of my hat that came from years of practice as a cadet years ago.

Take pride in yourself, your uniform, and what it represents and don't let anybody kill that.  It'll help you later in life, I guarantee it.

davidsinn

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 09, 2010, 08:21:17 PM
Well in our Squadron no one ever puts their covers in their pockets, were outside most the time and when we are inside we are only in for a few moments. So it works for us. Also I got that from a man who was in the army for 20+ years. Todays the first time im testing it, so ill get back to you on that.

Don't let these guys rag you on the hat.  For some reason every single time someone mentions starch and BDU in the same sentence they get all twisted.  I've never balled up my hat in my pocket and I never plan to.

When I was a cadet I always starched my hat and my uniforms... still do as a senior.  Had them do extra super heavy starch from the cleaners and did my own hat as well.  To me nothing looks sloppier than someone who looks like they crawled out of bed in their uniform and strolled into a meeting.  It also looks sloppy to the public too.

While it was mostly due to a buildup of dirt and old repeated applications of sweat rather than starch, in basic I was actually complimented by a random TI about the shape of my hat that came from years of practice as a cadet years ago.

Take pride in yourself, your uniform, and what it represents and don't let anybody kill that.  It'll help you later in life, I guarantee it.

UTILITY uniform. No starch. Says so right on the tag. You want to look sharp? Wear a dress uniform. If you properly care for the uniform it looks pretty good with only very minor ironing.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

HGjunkie

Quote from: davidsinn on June 09, 2010, 11:07:34 PM

UTILITY uniform. No starch. Says so right on the tag. You want to look sharp? Wear a dress uniform. If you properly care for the uniform it looks pretty good with only very minor ironing.
I couldnt have said it better myself :clap:.
BTW a steam press is better than a heat press.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jb512

Quote from: davidsinn on June 09, 2010, 11:07:34 PM

I prefer to look sharp in every uniform.  Guess I'm different that way.

CadetProgramGuy

This was written some time ago by CMS Chiafos, USAF Ret.  It is in need of an update, but there are many things still quite relavant.

HGjunkie

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on June 10, 2010, 01:17:36 AM
This was written some time ago by CMS Chiafos, USAF Ret.  It is in need of an update, but there are many things still quite relavant.
Bravo, good man. This is just what I needed! :clap: :clap: :clap:
However, i would use Brasso instead of car wax ??? on my metal stuffs...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jb512

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on June 10, 2010, 01:17:36 AM

The one thing I learned from that a couple of years ago was how to fix your ribbons.  I still cut the prongs off of my attachments and glue them to the ribbons now to keep from jacking them up.  And I never use the metal ribbon holders... plastic only.

snpotratz

And starched BDU's shine so nicely under night vision goggles!!!  Put everyone in a dark field and I can find Jaybird512 first I'd wager!  ;)
Capt. Steven Potratz
Deputy Commander | RMR-MT-037
Director of Safety | MTWG

HGjunkie

Quote from: snpotratz on June 10, 2010, 02:30:48 AM

And starched BDU's shine so nicely under night vision goggles!!!  Put everyone in a dark field and I can find Jaybird512 first I'd wager!  ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Cecil DP

The prohibition against using starch was because the starch was supposed to increase the heat signature of the uniforms,. The prohibition against using starch was revoked many years ago.

I recommed removing all insignia from the blue uniforms after each wear. The weight of the badges, ribbons, etc do pull on the uniform. When you remove the items put them in a box so that they're all together and don't migrate all around the house. (I wouldn't use a plastic bag, in areas of high humidity, you may trap moisture in a sealed bag.)
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Майор Хаткевич

Once ribbons are exposed to snow/rain once, it's time for new ones!

cap235629

Which is a plus with regard to the missions we perform!

Where do I get NOD's?

Please people, we are not a combat arms organization, knock it off.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

davidsinn

That's not a concern for us but it does trap body heat in hot weather. Plus it wears out the fabric quicker.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jb512

My starched set wouldn't normally make it into the field but I'm willing to bet that the bright orange reflective vest coupled with the smurf blue nametags and insignia would give me away.  Not a very bright response.

jb512

Quote from: davidsinn on June 10, 2010, 02:47:03 AM

That's not a concern for us but it does trap body heat in hot weather. Plus it wears out the fabric quicker.

Lucky for me I stay in shape, and I've had the same set of BDUs that I've worn regulary for years...  No more wear and tear than normal I'm happy to say.

ASchlagel

Thanks, I can see that alot of people really hate starch. But, for me it works too, no on every says anythign against my hat, and i dont liek putting it in my pocket either. And when i do, ive onyl done it once it got a nice crease in the top but with a quick splash of starch it was gone.
Again Thanks.

ASchlagel

You guys really are just.. well i wont say it but you know what I meen. Also saying this on a ladys post, very well thought of guys.  ;)