What is this I see......

Started by mawr, November 21, 2006, 08:13:19 PM

mawr

What branch of the service is in flightsuits in this photo?  Notice the reversed American Flag on the sleeve?  I was just wondering which branch has taken up the Flag.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

shorning

I see a regular US flag on the left sleeve. 

I'm guessing it was taken at 1AF.  I think that is Maj. Gen M. Scott Mayes.

CAP Producer

I think the officer next to the President is Admiral Keating, Commander of NORTHCOM.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

lordmonar

Yes...looks navy to me.

The wings have that out stretched look of Naval Aviator wings, the round patch on the right breast and the fact that he has silver stars on instead of subdued stars.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

shorning

Quote from: MNWG/PA on November 21, 2006, 08:40:59 PM
I think the officer next to the President is Admiral Keating, Commander of NORTHCOM.

Yeah, your right.  They look similar, but that's ADM Keating.

But the Navy isn't the only one that wears a "non-shield" shaped patch on the flightsuit.  COCOMs do as well.  Ours here is round too.

mawr

Quote from: shorning on November 21, 2006, 08:22:10 PM
I see a regular US flag on the left sleeve. 

I'm guessing it was taken at 1AF.  I think that is Maj. Gen M. Scott Mayes.

You're right, it's not reversed.   I should learn my left from my right.  So the Navy is wearing the flag now. Is this unique to NORTHCOM or do all Navy aviators wear the flag?
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

DNall

Wear of the non-reversed (double negative anyone) flag on the flight suit is nothing new. In fact it's rpetty standard in all services. If I'm not mistaken, the only time you don't wear it that way is when another optional patch is authorized in its place during peace time.

Wear of a full color reversed flag on BDU/ACU is unique to the Army. No one's got a problem with the flag, no one in the military or CAP anyway. Putting it on BDUs like we have though is following an Army example rather than the AF one, and that's no good. Also, the tradition of wearing the flag on utility uniforms is in combat joint operating environments. The Army put it on everyone to send the symbolic message that the whole service is at war even if they aren't in the active combat zone. My issue w/ CAP putting it on is that they didn't think about what it means on uniform or why the Army did it & how it doesn't apply to CAP and non-conformist it is to do in our relationship w/ the AF. I care less if it looks pretty or not & how patriotic it is or isn't.

lordmonar

The Air force wore the revers U.S. flag on the right sleeve duirng Bosnia. All SFOR troops had to wear it.  It was a PITA to have sew them on and take them off again.

That was when the US Army started wearing the permantly.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

smj58501

Quote from: lordmonar on November 21, 2006, 08:48:23 PM
Yes...looks navy to me.

The wings have that out stretched look of Naval Aviator wings, the round patch on the right breast and the fact that he has silver stars on instead of subdued stars.

That, and the wings are gold.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP