Main Menu

Class B

Started by CAP428, November 20, 2006, 05:29:02 AM

CAP428

I tried using the search function for this beforehand, but didn't see anything pertaining to it, so pardon me if I overlooked it.

Anywya, I received a flyer for a CAP event and on one of the days it says the uniform will be "Class Bs" What does this mean?

Thank you.

SarDragon

Well, if there were really a CAP uniform combination with that designation, it would be the blue trousers with just the blue shirt. I'm not sure about the tie, but since the designation is undefined WRT CAP, I guess it's your option.

What it means to me personally is that you have senior members who have been incorrectly trained and are perpetuating incorrect information. That has not been a proper designation since at least 1968.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dogden

I would say whoever wrote the oplan should have picked up CAPM 39-1 and see that CAP has no class B uniform.

From my experience with army uniforms, it would be a short or long sleeve AF blue uniform or equivalent.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

CAP428

JohnKachenmeister

Betcha somebody was former Army.  I've made that mistake before, too!
Another former CAP officer

shorning

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 20, 2006, 05:36:34 PM

The mistake of being former Army?   :P ;D

arajca

My usual tactic when an announcement requires the class a/b/c/d/z uniform is to send an email to the project officer of point of contact asking for clarification in terms that are found in CAPM 39-1.

BillB

Class b was not only former Army, It was used by USAF for many years. CAP also used class A & B uniform combinations and many current members know the difference between them. I have somewhere in the files Encamnpment orders telling if Class A or B uniforms were required for what activities. If I'm not mistaken class C was the fatigue uniform.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

My point here, and possibly that of others, is that this is history. We, as individuals, should discontinue usage as current terminology, like CAP, as an organization, did sometime before 1968. I realize old habits are hard to unlearn, but if we're not all using the terminology that's in the current regs, then we are doing a disservice to the member, new and old, by continuing to use historical terms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on November 20, 2006, 08:18:31 PM
My point here, and possibly that of others, is that this is history. We, as individuals, should discontinue usage as current terminology, like CAP, as an organization, did sometime before 1968. I realize old habits are hard to unlearn, but if we're not all using the terminology that's in the current regs, then we are doing a disservice to the member, new and old, by continuing to use historical terms.

I understand you point....but on the other hand....does it really matter?  I know here we have a problem with communications...the cadet posting did not know what is meant by class b uniform....but if you are in a squadron that still uses this terminology....so what?  We keep doing that...someone posts 'I was wearing my class b's and...." and we jump on them for using the term "class b" instead of concentrating on what they said after the ellipses.

Granted...we ought to be clear in our communications and use proper terminology to avoid confusion....but if so...how many of you out there who jumped on the "CAP does not have class b uniforms" bandwagon use the term "BBDU" for the CAP Distinctive Field Uniform?

We always use jargon.  We all "know" that BBDU is the CAP Distinctive Field Uniform and it is a common, useful short hand.  Just as "class b" is a common short hand for AF Style Short Sleeve Shirt w/out tie.

So again, we need be clear in our communcations but we also need to go easy on posters who are only looking for information.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mawr

Quote from: lordmonar on November 20, 2006, 09:03:37 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 20, 2006, 08:18:31 PM

I understand you point....but on the other hand....does it really matter?  I know here we have a problem with communications...the cadet posting did not know what is meant by class b uniform....but if you are in a squadron that still uses this terminology....so what?  We keep doing that...someone posts 'I was wearing my class b's and...." and we jump on them for using the term "class b" instead of concentrating on what they said after the ellipses.

Granted...we ought to be clear in our communications and use proper terminology to avoid confusion....but if so...how many of you out there who jumped on the "CAP does not have class b uniforms" bandwagon use the term "BBDU" for the CAP Distinctive Field Uniform?

We always use jargon.  We all "know" that BBDU is the CAP Distinctive Field Uniform and it is a common, useful short hand.  Just as "class b" is a common short hand for AF Style Short Sleeve Shirt w/out tie.

So again, we need be clear in our communcations but we also need to go easy on posters who are only looking for information.

:clap:
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

lordmonar

Sorry for jumping down you throat SarDragon...You did in fact answer the Cadet's question before ranting about Class B's.  I just wanted say I did see that and acknowledge that you did in fact assist the poster finding the information he needed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

Wasn't there just an argument discussion about this in another thread. Yeah, it's the wrong designation, yeah we know what it means, moving on.

It's short sleeve blues (or corporate-style equiv for seniors) no tie. During winter months it means long sleeves w/ tie.

shorning

Quote from: DNall on November 20, 2006, 09:46:48 PM
It's short sleeve blues (or corporate-style equiv for seniors) no tie. During winter months it means long sleeves w/ tie.

This is a prefect reason to quit being lazy (because that's what it is) and use the correct uniform descriptions.  There is no such requirement.  Neither in CAP nor the Air Force.  Unless the dress is specifically stated, if a member wants to wear short sleeve shirt without a tie year-round, they may.  "Winter" does not equal long sleeves and "summer" doesn't equal short sleeves.  In the Air Force, you'll see both types of shirts being worn in either season.

Again, why are we making up requirements that don't exist? 

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: shorning on November 20, 2006, 06:35:15 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 20, 2006, 05:36:34 PM

The mistake of being former Army?   :P ;D
Absolutely!
Another former CAP officer