Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

A.Member

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on May 17, 2010, 12:30:34 AM
Highbird done for the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8H_mvJIaS4
So, was the IP flying it from the right seat or were we to critique the safety fails?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

a2capt

I was wondering about that myself .. but towards the end I got the impression the camera was being held over to the left of, and from behind the pilot, perhaps with a little zoom on it. 

SJFedor

Yeah, looks like it was being held over the shoulder of the pilot. Plus, I doubt anyone had hands on controls as it looks like they were running the ILS w/ the AP on, and it does all the magic to the DA. Either way, fun video!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

N Harmon

Terrible landing, way off centerline  >:D >:D >:D

(j/k, nice vid)
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Nomex Maximus

Here is the video of us entering the clouds before the approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuMhSItUEAM

This was my first time flying a 182, first time with glass. Instructor is highly experienced with the G1000 182 was in the right seat and flew the landing. I flew the take off and most of the flight. Since I hadn't flown for six months before that, and since this was a new airplane, and since the winds were gusting hear crosswind limits, and I was fatigued after four hours aloft, I didn't ask him to let me do the landing. I think I could have pulled it off OK, but no reason to push it.

It's strange to be flying the glass cockpit. It's much more than just a computer display - it seems like the whole flight is about twisting knobs to enter airport and VOR IDs. Most of the approach was just sitting there watching the plane fly itself. On final, the pilot has to take over and actually land the plane, but 90% of the work of flying is done by the G1000.

Still, I'd rather fly it than the 172s...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song