Coming very close to impersiating an AF Officer

Started by KioGoten, May 16, 2010, 08:41:45 PM

KioGoten

Catchy title huh?

Question for you guys?  The flight suit for CAP is based on the old style flight uniforms correct?  The rank is plastic rank which is slipped onto the shoulders.

Now if you have a SM who has a flight suit, adds regular AF subdued patches on the shoulder, would this violate CAP regulations?

From my experience the flight suits come with a velcro patch for the name and one for the shoulder.  If the individual wants to add more, they get them sown on... so no one in CAP should have a flight uniform that has velcro for AF subdued rank am I correct?

Also, isnt it true that CAP SM's have to adhere to AF height and weight standards if in an AF type uniform such as a flight suit?

Thanks Guys
Capt Nelson Guadalupe, CAP
SWR-TX-313 Abilene Squadron
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

MIKE

Quote from: KioGoten on May 16, 2010, 08:41:45 PM
Now if you have a SM who has a flight suit, adds regular AF subdued patches on the shoulder, would this violate CAP regulations?

The manual says plastic encased, so yeah.

Quote from: KioGoten on May 16, 2010, 08:41:45 PMFrom my experience the flight suits come with a velcro patch for the name and one for the shoulder.  If the individual wants to add more, they get them sown on... so no one in CAP should have a flight uniform that has velcro for AF subdued rank am I correct?

There is no prohibition on using Velcro to attach other authorized insignia in the same manner as the USAF.  Some people mention that the plastic encased grade gets cloudy if sewn on, but also can be ripped off by the shoulder harness if attached with Velcro.

Also, isnt it true that CAP SM's have to adhere to AF height and weight standards if in an AF type uniform such as a flight suit?

Is this a rhetorical question?
Mike Johnston

MSgt Van

Catchy title huh?
I haven't been impersiated in years, but it did catch my attention.
To my knowledge there are no subdued Air Force patches authorized on the CAP AF-style flight suit per CAPM 39-1, so that would be in violation of CAP guidelines for uniform wear.

Of course it's true.  Everyone should be aware of that since it's part of our level one training (see "Level One Foundations Course • Module Three, page one").

PhotogPilot

If you want to wear cloth rank, go with the blue flight suit. But not AF subdued, full color on nacy background. my rank is sewn on, but patches (Command, Proficient Pilot and Flag are on velcro, as is leather name plate.The rand washes OK, but the patches don't, so they come off before wash time.

And  yes, as been stated here, subdued cloth rank on green FS is BIG time no-no.

KioGoten

Quote from: PhotogPilot on May 16, 2010, 10:06:57 PM

And  yes, as been stated here, subdued cloth rank on green FS is BIG time no-no.

This is what I am talking about.  I saw a senior member at an air show (Not one of ours thank God) wearing a flight suit with the Air Force Subdued Blue rank on green background cloth on his shoulders.  Needless to say he is EXTREMELY fat to wear a flight suit (...didnt know they made them that large) and I swear unless you looked closely at the leather name plate/patch one couldnt tell he was a CAP member.

I didnt say anything because I wasnt up on the regs but I knew this wasnt right... so I came before you seasoned fellas to ask  :)
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

MSgt Van

Probably a prior service vet who's wearing his old Air Force flight suit with CAP nametag. Still doesn't make it right. Makes them look like an idiot, in my humble opinion.

KioGoten

Nope he is a civilian.  It was him and I am guessing his wife who was a 1LT in CAP.

I just think that they wanted to look as much as an official AF Officer that they did that.

But even if one is retired military, they still can not intermatch their active duty with cap uniform...
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

The CyBorg is destroyed

Green = plastic encased rank, period.

Blue = plastic encased rank or navy blue rank. I have navy blue rank on my utility jumpsuit and plastic encased on the flight suit.

No subdued insignia of any kind.  It's not needed in CAP.

However, a few years ago I took a CAP class with a former Marine Harrier pilot.  He had his "HARRIER V/STOL" patch velcro'd on his flight suit right arm.  I'd think that was a no-no.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SJFedor

Quote from: CyBorg on May 17, 2010, 04:35:50 AM
However, a few years ago I took a CAP class with a former Marine Harrier pilot.  He had his "HARRIER V/STOL" patch velcro'd on his flight suit right arm.  I'd think that was a no-no.

Not in regs...but epic cool none the less.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

KioGoten

Nope, definately not plastic at all.  It was cloth velcroed on or sown, I didnt see it very much.  But all I know is I think its a no no.  Only the plastic rank is ok for CAP right?

Does anyone have a reg abou this?

2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

MSgt Van

jeders

Quote from: MSgt Van on May 17, 2010, 04:04:40 PM
CAP Manual 39-1.

And in case the good Captain hasn't been able to navigate the maze that is the National website, all the regs, manuals, pamphlets, and forms can be found here.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Major Lord

Is "impersiating" the same thing as being sent to Iran?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

KioGoten

Ewwww Iran... wouldnt wanna set foot there  :o
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

MSgt Van

Close - I think the definition changed a bit after the first Gulf War.

MSgt Van

I got impersiated when I was inducted into the Senior NCO corps. I don't think they can do that anymore.  8)

KioGoten

I was impersonated once,

The little guy had my uniform on, dont know how he got it but it had my name tapes on it, patches and everything.  My cover with my 2LT pin only thing he didnt take were my boots... then my wife found him and he put everything back lol

3 year olds, gotta love em
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

DCCLUKE

Does anyone know if a Medical Serivce Officer can wear a flight suit?
Luke C. Orander, 2LT, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Health Services Officer

Abilene Composite Squadron

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787