Main Menu

Missions for America

Started by CAP428, November 19, 2006, 04:09:24 AM

CAP428

Just out of curiosity, what is the deal with the phrase "Missions for America?"  I mean, I realize that's what we do, but I went to a day-long CAP event recently and heard this said practically every other sentence and I see it a hundred times on CAP websites and quoted from Maj. Gen. Pineda.

Soooo....does anyone else think that this is way overused?  Also, it is often capitalized (Missions, that is).  Is this some official slogan?  Personally I would like to see a new one used, perhaps a more creative one.

Just wondering, I'm not trying to start anything, so if this is a hot topic or anything, consider this my disclaimer.  ;D

ELTHunter

The real question is What missions for America?
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Major Carrales

It was the replacement mantra for the long time PAO phrase... "America's Best Kept Secret."  I remember directives calling for the end of the "best kept" phrase as it suggested a "private flying club mentality" in favor of one that was "more service oriented."

It may allude to a desire to preform missions beyond and addition to those as the USAF Auxiliary.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Laplace

flapsUP

In the marketing business it's called branding.  A catchy phrase that your customers can readily associate with the organization. Please tell me that "best kept secret" was just a joke and not our real brand.

RiverAux

I don't know if it was "official" but it was used very regularly in all sorts of ways by CAP. 

The Performing Missions for America statement is better but is still a pretty bad "brand".  Okay, so it says we're doing some sort of public service but is so unspecific I don't think it really does us any good.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to think of a better one myself....

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on November 19, 2006, 02:36:16 PM
I don't know if it was "official" but it was used very regularly in all sorts of ways by CAP. 

The Performing Missions for America statement is better but is still a pretty bad "brand".  Okay, so it says we're doing some sort of public service but is so unspecific I don't think it really does us any good.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to think of a better one myself....

I normally end my e-mails with the closer... "Keep 'em Flying" in honour of the Second World War's aviators.  Our unofficial squadron motto is "Keep the Momentum Going."

"Missions for America" works albiet it lacks a certain "cool factor."

But then we are here to preform "missions" and not just to look and sound "cool."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: ELThunter on November 19, 2006, 04:11:18 AM
The real question is What missions for America?
No kidding right!  :)

Missions for America
Cross into the Blue
Army of One
The Few the Proud

What's the problem? I'm waiting for the Cable TV campaign.

Eclipse

Don't forget:

AIM HIGH

Which, of course, is the last place you want people aiming, since that's where the planes are...

"That Others May Zoom"

Lancer

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2006, 08:10:07 PM
Don't forget:

AIM HIGH

Which, of course, is the last place you want people aiming, since that's where the planes are...

I thought the latest one was 'Do Something Amazing'  ;D

I'm not a huge fan of '...Missions for America.' But, it does beat the heck out of 'best kept secret', I loathe saying that about any organization you want people to know about.

Anyone have ideas for an even more suitable slogan?

shorning

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on November 19, 2006, 08:22:54 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2006, 08:10:07 PM
Don't forget:

AIM HIGH

I thought the latest one was 'Do Something Amazing'  ;D

It is.  And the Army's new one is "Army Strong".  No, I don't know what that one's supposed to mean either.

DNall

Quote from: shorning on November 19, 2006, 08:27:12 PM
It is.  And the Army's new one is "Army Strong".  No, I don't know what that one's supposed to mean either.
Given the fact they took me, probably something about breathing & having all appendages.  :)

Al Sayre

How about  "Be part of the solution!"
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MIKE

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 19, 2006, 08:33:43 PM
How about  "Be part of the solution!"

Where are you going with that one?
Mike Johnston

CAP428

"Ordinary people, extraordinary service"

or something along those lines?? I don't know.  Just thnking out loud...

shorning

Quote from: DNall on November 19, 2006, 08:32:07 PM
Quote from: shorning on November 19, 2006, 08:27:12 PM
Given the fact they took me, probably something about breathing & having all appendages.  :)

It's the "fog-a-mirror test". ;)  Army really needs bodies (aka 11b's) right now.  So, I can't blame them, but I'm also aware of some of the problems it's caused.

DNall

I think the standards might be a bit harder for 153A, but I don't for a second discount that I wouldn't have been picked at my age if we weren't at war.

JohnKachenmeister

Weren't we supposed to be "Eyes of the Home Skies?"  That what we were back in the 40's, and I thought we were dusting off that one.

We could steal the Army Reserve slogan from the late 1970's, "America's Home Team."

Or... there was a book about CAP a while back:  "Heroes Next Door."

But...

Since the "Corporate Types" will, I'm sure, want to emphasize our statutory non-combat status, they'll probably come up with:

"We won't fight, and you can't make us!"
Another former CAP officer

CAP428

I really like the sound of "Eyes of the Home Skies."  I wish we would use that one.

BTW, is that copyrighted?  I'm making a CAP video and I'm trying to think of something to put at the end and I really don't want to use the typical "CAP...performing Missions for America."  Eyes of the Home Skies would be much better.

ELTHunter

Quote from: CAP428 on November 19, 2006, 08:54:15 PM
"Ordinary people, extraordinary service"

or something along those lines?? I don't know.  Just thinking out loud...

They're using "Everyday Heroes" quite a bit also.  However, I can't say I really like that one much.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer