broadcasting warnings from CAP planes

Started by RiverAux, November 17, 2006, 12:05:34 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on November 17, 2006, 06:55:00 PM
It took a bit of digging, but I found a company that sells this type of equipment.

http://www.bergsupply.com/LSS/loudspeakers.htm

I'm sure a mounting bracket could be made to easily adapt this to our aircraft.

Made?  Yes. 

Approved for the airframe and then subsequently approved for use on CAP aircraft?  Good luck.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

WIWAS, I worked on UH46 helo's that had "Loud Hailers"  They are a PITA to keep working, and draw amazing amounts of electrical power.  Sometimes the radios fried due to low voltage when the Loud Hailer was operated at the same time.  While this was 1960-70's era technology, it still takes a lot of power to drive big loud speakers, a lot more than the average C-172/C-182 electrical system can provide without a serious upgrade.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

shorning

Quote from: lordmonar on November 18, 2006, 03:15:06 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on November 18, 2006, 01:17:13 AM
WIWAS,

Does this mean "When I Was Al Sayre? :D

"When [he] was a 'squid'."  Al and Dave suffered from the same affliction. ;)

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 18, 2006, 01:17:13 AM
WIWAS, I worked on UH46 helo's that had "Loud Hailers"  They are a PITA to keep working, and draw amazing amounts of electrical power.  Sometimes the radios fried due to low voltage when the Loud Hailer was operated at the same time.  While this was 1960-70's era technology, it still takes a lot of power to drive big loud speakers, a lot more than the average C-172/C-182 electrical system can provide without a serious upgrade.

Thanks for the reminder. I couldn't remember exactly what I had seen with that equiment.

Looking at the specs of the equipment linked to above, I have to agree. Those units draw 16 to 25 amps, based on which unit you get. That's a lot to lay on the OEM alternator. These units aren't really electrically all that different from one of these high power stereo units the young'uns are putting in their cars. Lotsa volume = lotsa current.

The weight and size can be other issues. The H-46 unit mounted through the side of the airframe, not an option on CAP a/c. In addition, it's not kool sitting right behind one of these units in use!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

Guys:

Could somebody who knows who the Wing PAO is in HI please prevail upon him to write a nice article on use of the loudspeakers, including the technical data, and submit it to "Volunteer" magazine?  That way everybody can hear of and (hopefully) emulate the success of the Wing protecting the only state comprised entirely of island in the Pacific Ocean.
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

Lancer

*BUMP*

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1176173732124340.xml&coll=7

Plane-mounted loudspeaker could help with tsunami warnings

Tuesday, April 10, 2007SARAH HUNSBERGER
In an age of global positioning satellites and computerized command centers, a test communications system from the Civil Air Patrol's Oregon Wing seems remarkably low-tech.

And loud.

"It blew me away," said Oregon Wing Cmdr. Ted Kyle, who was impressed by the clarity of a demonstration this month at the Aurora State Airport.
It's a speaker plane: a compact, lightweight speaker mounted on a single-engine Cessna that can be heard at least a mile away.

The idea of putting a loudspeaker on an airplane is not new. But the concept gained new attention in Oregon because of better speaker technology, a nationwide emphasis on homeland security, and a greater concern over tsunami danger, highlighted by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

High-profile rescue operations such as the aerial search last year for James Kim and his family in southern Oregon also have motivated searchers to keep looking for new tools.

The speaker system has the potential to give the volunteer Civil Air Patrol a flexible and possibly life-saving tool in its aerial searches and homeland security missions, Kyle said. Applications could range from issuing natural disaster warnings when other communications fail to coaxing forth a lost child with a recording of Mom and Dad's voices.

The Civil Air Patrol has rarely used loudspeakers on planes because really, really loud aerial announcements often come out sounding muddled, said Scott Bakker, who commands the Oregon Wing's 105th Squadron based at Brookings on the southern Oregon coast.

Bakker, who has been the driving force behind testing the airborne speaker because of his concern about tsunamis, found a new type of speaker that offers better clarity and audibility.

At about $9,500 per set, the speakers are louder than a jet engine from a meter away and would cause you to go deaf if you were standing right in front of one, said Michael Grady, vice president of Power Sonix, the West Virginia company that makes the speakers. They're usually used on police helicopters.

Hawaii is the only place where the Civil Air Patrol regularly uses plane-mounted speakers, but their success is mixed. The speakers tested in Oregon are thought to be clearer and more audible than others in use.

Tests conducted at the Oregon coast near Brookings and at the Aurora airport south of Portland broadcast announcements from a plane flying at about 1,000 feet. Listeners and video cameras on the ground gauged audibility as the plane flew over.

A siren warning was audible from more than a mile away, and listeners understood the "This is a test" announcement clearly as the plane got a little closer, Bakker said. Even some people inside campers on the beach could hear it from a half-mile away or more, he said.

Because the volunteer organization is funded largely through donations, the group would have to come up with a source of money if it decides to make the speakers a permanent part of its fleet, Kyle said.

Bakker hopes the state might help cover the cost.

Sarah Hunsberger: 503-294-5922; shunsberger@news.oregonian.com

Dustoff

National Public Radio piece

Broadcast yesterday (10APR)

Link on the page to a video clip of a demo.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9501416

Jim
Jim

NIN

Its amazing what you can hear from above... I'm talking human voices from 12,000 ft...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Dragoon

I just hope no one BSing in the cockpit happens to leave the loudspeaker on.....

......or perhaps some young pilot up for some solo time passes over a beach and decides to try the 'ol Mr. Microphone routine, "Hey Babe!  We'll be back to pick you up later!"   ;D

alice

OK.... OWRG's test of a new PA system: $9.5k from Power Sonix.... Anyone on this forum with electrical engineering skills want to review their products for us?  The NPR radio piece said it has some new technology.  Exactly what is that?

http://www.powersonix.com/Pages/pageA.html

Anyone know if a request has been sent up the CAP food chain to the official ops and/or strategetic gurus to decide if all CAP wings should get this capability?
Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

Al Sayre

Their spec sheets are a little short on technical information, but since they appear to be powered by their own battery packs, I don't see a big problem with mounting and using them from an electrical standpoint.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Well, the units weigh anywhere from 14 to 47 pounds, and since the battery is listed as an accessory, that will add another 40 pounds or so. Between the weight addition, and the external drag penalty, I'm guessing this might not be a C-172 item.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

I'd actually be more concerned with the drag penalty than the weight.  I'm assuming that you'd only put two people max in the a/c when using it operationally, and you could always leave the tanks a little light.  I usually plan for about 8gph in a 172, so that only shortens my range by about an hour (6lb/gal*8gal =48 lbs) unless I have a really big observer.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787