Black shoes for Dress Blues

Started by Smoothice, April 11, 2010, 12:45:52 AM

a2capt

As for the black shoes, probably calling the phone number for Old Lincoln will get you the information, though OTOH, that was recently discussed too, that the information was wrong.

But then that mention of a flyer recently arriving .. so someone is breathing someplace.

cachambliss

Quote from: mynetdude on April 27, 2010, 02:10:16 AM
I asked a question awhile back related to wearing combat boots with blues obviously this isn't what this is about anyway...

because of my orthopedic needs I prefer dress boots that have high tops otherwise when I put my orthopedic inserts in my ankle will be too high and the bottom of my feet will be closer to the top of the shoe (making a tighter fit) thus degrading overall support for my feet.

I obtained a pair of Oakley field boots which has significantly helped me in situations I could not normally do with the issued boots however I cannot wear those field boots with my blues, only the issued combat boots (provided they are shined).

IF I could obtain a pair of high ankle/high gloss pair of boots that would meet the regulation requirement to be laced as well I could use that for blues, flight suits, etc I'd like to know if anybody knows of any?

I did a google search for hi gloss oxford boots and most appear to look like the oxford shoes that I buy at stores or military surplus stores, etc.

For almost my entire Army Career and since I have worn plain toe black "western" style boots with the Army Green Uniform and CAP uniforms.  As other posters mentioned most folks don't even realize I am wearing boots.  For the high shine, nothing beats Kiwi shoe polish and cotton balls.  You can "harden" the shine by shaving a candle (not too much) then putting the shaving int the Kiwi can and applying heat to melt the candle and shoe polish together.  (Caution, shoe polish is very fameable and will catch fire easy.  When it does, remove the heat and put the lid on the can.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BLOW IT OUT Unless you want to repaint walls, replace carpet, refinish furniture, etc - It will make a mess.  This will not equal the shine off "plastic" shoes, but they will shine up nicely, cost less than plastic shoes, and last for years and years. (The boots I wear with my flight suit as 20 years old). 

mynetdude

Quote from: cachambliss on April 28, 2010, 02:36:02 AM
I asked a question awhile back related to wearing combat boots with blues obviously this isn't what this is about anyway...

because of my orthopedic needs I prefer dress boots that have high tops otherwise when I put my orthopedic inserts in my ankle will be too high and the bottom of my feet will be closer to the top of the shoe (making a tighter fit) thus degrading overall support for my feet.

I obtained a pair of Oakley field boots which has significantly helped me in situations I could not normally do with the issued boots however I cannot wear those field boots with my blues, only the issued combat boots (provided they are shined).

IF I could obtain a pair of high ankle/high gloss pair of boots that would meet the regulation requirement to be laced as well I could use that for blues, flight suits, etc I'd like to know if anybody knows of any?

I did a google search for hi gloss oxford boots and most appear to look like the oxford shoes that I buy at stores or military surplus stores, etc.

For almost my entire Army Career and since I have worn plain toe black "western" style boots with the Army Green Uniform and CAP uniforms.  As other posters mentioned most folks don't even realize I am wearing boots.  For the high shine, nothing beats Kiwi shoe polish and cotton balls.  You can "harden" the shine by shaving a candle (not too much) then putting the shaving int the Kiwi can and applying heat to melt the candle and shoe polish together.  (Caution, shoe polish is very fameable and will catch fire easy.  When it does, remove the heat and put the lid on the can.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BLOW IT OUT Unless you want to repaint walls, replace carpet, refinish furniture, etc - It will make a mess.  This will not equal the shine off "plastic" shoes, but they will shine up nicely, cost less than plastic shoes, and last for years and years. (The boots I wear with my flight suit as 20 years old).

I have never been able to shine any of my shine-able shoes or boots, even putting elbow grease into it I guess I am just not doing it hard enough. I have heard of some members say that you can't tell they are wearing boots because you can't see the laces on the regular shoes unless you're sitting in a position that would cause your "laces" to appear.

I wished the regulations would include oxford type boots (heh if such existed) so what brand boots do you have (if still manufactured) or do you know of that would be equivalent to yours?

Hawk200

Quote from: mynetdude on April 28, 2010, 06:39:34 AMI wished the regulations would include oxford type boots (heh if such existed) so what brand boots do you have (if still manufactured) or do you know of that would be equivalent to yours?
Ropers and Wellingtons were initially a specific brand, but the term is now used to describe a "western style" boot with a rounded toe (the toe has almost the exact same shape as standard military issue low quarters), and have no decorative type stitching (any stitching holds the boot together, nothing is added for appearance).

Here's a good example of an acceptable Roper: Linky

There are Wellingtons that are similar, but I haven't seen a good picture of an appropriate one in the first few dozen links on a search.

I've only ever worn Ropers, Wellington's seem to have a thicker heel.

cachambliss

Quote from: mynetdude on April 28, 2010, 06:39:34 AM

I have never been able to shine any of my shine-able shoes or boots, even putting elbow grease into it I guess I am just not doing it hard enough. I have heard of some members say that you can't tell they are wearing boots because you can't see the laces on the regular shoes unless you're sitting in a position that would cause your "laces" to appear.

I wished the regulations would include oxford type boots (heh if such existed) so what brand boots do you have (if still manufactured) or do you know of that would be equivalent to yours?

I always relied on Army Regulation 670-1 which basically stated commercially available boots were acceptable for wear as long as they were black, round plain toe, with no buckles, straps, zippers (their attempt to do away with Tanker Boots that did not always work), and no excessive heel height. 
I actually found these available in the PX system.  However, on the commercial market, I just bought a new pair for dress up as my old ones (airport boots) are getting kinda scuffed up.  What I am wearing now are Laredo Brand, Style 4420 which cost about $70.00.  I have them highly shined, but not "spit shined". 

mynetdude

Quote from: cachambliss on April 28, 2010, 02:20:27 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on April 28, 2010, 06:39:34 AM

I always relied on Army Regulation 670-1 which basically stated commercially available boots were acceptable for wear as long as they were black, round plain toe, with no buckles, straps, zippers (their attempt to do away with Tanker Boots that did not always work), and no excessive heel height. 
I actually found these available in the PX system.  However, on the commercial market, I just bought a new pair for dress up as my old ones (airport boots) are getting kinda scuffed up.  What I am wearing now are Laredo Brand, Style 4420 which cost about $70.00.  I have them highly shined, but not "spit shined".

thanks this will be very helpful so I can get into another uniform that requires black shoes (other than AF blues).