Main Menu

C/Officer Insignia

Started by A1Steaksauce, November 13, 2006, 01:53:39 AM

A1Steaksauce

Does anybody out there have any tips/suggestions to sewing on the blue C/Officer dots to the BDU collar, because I, in my minimal sewing abilities, have found it very difficult.

Thanks

carnold1836

What I have found o be easiest is to fold down the material along the top at the perscribed 1/8 inch from the embroidery and run over it with a hot iron, do the same for the bottom. Once both sides are ironed down, run a single stitch along the top and bottom to hold them in place. To keep the sides from bulging out when they get folded in snip out edges at each corner so as not to have the extra material bunch up. Place the grade on your collar as appropriate and sew around the edges. Of course you want to use a sewing machine for all of this.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

SarDragon

That's it in a nutshell. Also remember that one of the straight edges goes parallel to the front edge of the collar, IAW the pic in the manual, even though it looks kinda dopey. That's the same graphic from the 1968 version on CAPM 39-1, when the collars really had that shape.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Psicorp

What I did as a Cadet and what I still do as an Officer (my sewing skills amount to a blood donation with every attempt, although I am learning to use a sewing machine) is fold the insignia and use scotch tape on every fold so that when you're done, the right size and shape of the insignia is done and won't come apart, making sure no tape shows from underneath.  If need be I just double sided tape to hold the insignia to the collar and then sew it on.  I've never had a problem the uniforms as they are put through the wash.  Using this method, I can take the insignia off and they are still in good shape for use by someone else.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Ford73Diesel

1. Fold insignia to 1/8 inch

2. Store on a flat surface under somthing heavy (like a book) This is to keep the extra cloth folded over

3. Put some WASHABLE Elmers glue on the insignia and position per CAPM 39-1. (Note that it is one inch to the edge of the silver/ white thread of the insignia, not the blue edge)

4. Let glue dry

5. Take your time and sew it.

6. Forgot to mention- Wash the uniform.

6. Enjoy perfect placement of your insignia.

Eclipse

I'd suggest iron-on sizing, available from your local sewing or hobby store.

Its similiar to the iron-on glue backing many of our patches already come with.

The really good, heavy-duty stuff will keep things in place in the wash and in the field.  This is the stuff that leaves the glue marks on uniforms, so caveat emptor.

First I cut the insignia to size, then I iron it to shape so it have some structure already.  Then I add the sizing to the back with the same iron.

Now you can position the insignia with a ruler, etc., and iron it in place.  From here sewing is much easier, because it won't move around.

Whether you're sewing it, giving it to mom/spouse, or especially handing it to a tailor, this is the best way to insure things go where you want them.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

DNall

I don't know if you're near a military base, or if not you might have a nearby JROTC unit that can recommend a tailor/cleaners that will do things like this supper cheap. I highly recommend finding such an outfit. For just a few dollars here & thre you can get some pretty spiffy things done to make you look top notch w/ very little effort.