Achievement 3 drill test

Started by captearhart, November 20, 2013, 07:49:47 PM

captearhart

I was giving cadet the achievement 3 drill test last night and noticed that it has you give "At Close Interval Dress Right Dress" while in column formation.  I thought it was against regs to do this.  Can someone clarify this for me?

coudano

Yep, dress right dress is supposed to be given in line formation.

In column, the correct command is Cover.

There are a handfull of inconsistencies like this in all of the drill tests...
They have been pointed out, but not corrected.
Best practice is to "execute the command to the best of your ability"

Storm Chaser

Actually, the command "At Close Interval, Dress Right, DRESS" can be given in line and column formation (ref. AFMAN 36-2203, Drill and Ceremonies).

Майор Хаткевич

Foot meet mouth. Next time gotta crack open. The reg.

Brad

Here's what the current AFM 36-2203 says:

Quote4.4.2.1. Column Formation. To align the flight in column, the command is COVER.

Doesn't mention anything about dressing right or left in column, and neither do the entries on dress right (left) dress at normal or closer interval.

Also apparently you can't make a flight go from normal interval to close interval, at least with Air Force drill:

Quote4.3.4. To form at close interval, the command is At Close Interval, FALL IN. On the command FALL IN, the movement is executed as prescribed in paragraph 4.3.3 above except close interval is observed (Figure 4.4). The only commands that may be given while the flight is in this formation are At Close Interval, Dress Right, DRESS; Ready, FRONT; AT EASE; ATTENTION; FALL OUT; and DISMISSED.

Quote4.4.1.2. .... At Close Interval, Dress Right (Left), DRESS is not given to a flight at normal interval, and Dress Right (Left), DRESS is not given to a flight at close interval.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

coudano

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 20, 2013, 09:35:26 PM
Actually, the command "At Close Interval, Dress Right, DRESS" can be given in line and column formation (ref. AFMAN 36-2203, Drill and Ceremonies).

Actually, can you cite me a chapter and verse on that?

Because I just double checked AFMAN 36-2203 and I stand by my previous post.

5.4.2 talks about squadron in mass, but then uh...   Cover
Anyhoo, squadron in mass is not applicable to the achievement 3 drill test.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Brad on November 20, 2013, 10:06:16 PM
Here's what the current AFM 36-2203 says:

Quote4.4.2.1. Column Formation. To align the flight in column, the command is COVER.

Doesn't mention anything about dressing right or left in column, and neither do the entries on dress right (left) dress at normal or closer interval.

Also apparently you can't make a flight go from normal interval to close interval, at least with Air Force drill:

Quote4.3.4. To form at close interval, the command is At Close Interval, FALL IN. On the command FALL IN, the movement is executed as prescribed in paragraph 4.3.3 above except close interval is observed (Figure 4.4). The only commands that may be given while the flight is in this formation are At Close Interval, Dress Right, DRESS; Ready, FRONT; AT EASE; ATTENTION; FALL OUT; and DISMISSED.

Quote4.4.1.2. .... At Close Interval, Dress Right (Left), DRESS is not given to a flight at normal interval, and Dress Right (Left), DRESS is not given to a flight at close interval.

Indeed. To change the interval from normal to close, the sequence would be 1) "FALL OUT" followed by 2) "At close interval, FALL IN."

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 20, 2013, 09:35:26 PM

I don't think so. "Dress Right/Left" are commands for formations in line. "Cover" is for columns.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.