Why number the awards?

Started by RiverAux, November 28, 2009, 03:24:44 AM

flyboy53

Let's add another one. How about the Falcon Award? In all my time in CAP (since 1966), I've only seen two of them. Do you remember the metal ribbon bar? One current holder has to keep looking on e-bay for last authorized ribbon. Think of all the history with these awards. That's why I belive numbering them is a good idea. It's that extra level of status that the holder really accomplished something good. I only wish that someone would start compiling a list.

James Shaw

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 28, 2009, 08:26:57 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on November 28, 2009, 10:14:36 AM
A Capstone is the last and final brick put into place on a building
A Milestone is a waypoint towards a destination.

Wilson and Spaatz awards=CAPSTONES, you've completed the program
All others are milestones, you haven't fininshed  the program, but are progressing towards it.

Whatever you consider it to be, that is not what it is in CAP.

Quote from:  CAPR 52-16 1 OCTOBER 2006 Pg 15
b. Milestone Awards. There are five milestone awards in the Cadet Program. They mark the cadet's transition from one phase of the Cadet Program into another phase where he or she will assume new leadership roles commensurate with his/her increased maturity and development as a cadet.
(1) The Wright Brothers Award marks completion of Phase I.
(2) The Mitchell Award marks completion of Phase II
(3) The Earhart Award marks completion of Phase III.
(4) The Eaker Award marks completion of Phase IV.
(5) The Spaatz Award is the highest award in the Cadet Program.

You are missing the point. Yes the Spaatz is a milestone award but it is also a capstone award because you cannot go any higher in the cadet  program. Hence the term capstone.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on November 28, 2009, 06:16:51 PMThe only practical reason for numbering them that I can think of is as an anti-fraud measure.  If Joe Smith says he has one of these fairly important awards, having a number on it that could be matched with a set of orders at NHQ wouild make sense. 

I've actually heard it presented this way a few different times. It makes sense. Don't know how valid it is, but it's practical logic.