TYPE: DMS SIGNED/ENCRYPTED

FROM PLA: HQ USAF WASHINGTON DC//A1S//

FROM D/N: C:US,O:U.S. Government,OUoD,OU:AF,OU:ORGANIZATIONS,

L:PENTAGON WASHINGTON DC,OU:HQ USAF A1(uc),OU:HQ USAF

A1S(uc)

SUBJECT: 98TH AIR FORCE VIRTUAL UNIFORM BOARD RESULTS

TEXT:

UNCLASSIFIED//

1. THE 98TH AF VIRTUAL UNIFORM BOARD CONVENED IN 2008. VOTING MEMBERS INCLUDED AIRMEN FROM ALL MAJCOMS AND MOST FUNCTIONAL COMMUNITIES. REPRESENTATIVES FROM AAFES, DSCP/DLA, THE AF UNIFORM OFFICE, AF/A1D AND AF/A4L ACTED AS NON-VOTING ADVISORS. BOARD RECOMMENDATIONS WERE FORWARDED TO THE AIR FORCE CHIEF OF STAFF FOR FINAL DECISION.

2. APPROVED ITEMS - EFFECTIVE AS INDICATED:

A. DRESS (BLUE) UNIFORM

1) ELIMINATE WEAR OF THE METAL RANK BY ENLISTED AIRMEN ON THE LIGHT WEIGHT BLUE JACKET; RANK MUST BE WORN USING ONLY THE CHEVRON RANK INSIGNIA SEWN ON THE SLEEVES; EFF: NLT 1 JAN 2010

B. UTILITY UNIFORM (APPLIES TO ABUS, BDUS, AND DCUS)

1) TROUSERS MUST BE TUCKED INTO BOOTS AND PRESENT A BLOUSED APPEARANCE AT ALL TIMES; EFF: IMMEDIATELY   ???  >:D

2) TUCK IN BOOT LACES; EXCESS BOOT LACES MAY BE WRAPPED AROUND THE BOOT AND TUCKED IN. NO "BOWTIE" BOOT LACES; EFF: IMMEDIATELY

3) MAJCOMS AUTHORIZED TO APPROVE WEAR OF BLACK BOOTS WITH THE ABU ONLY IN INDUSTRIAL AREAS IAW 132024Z FEB 09 HQ USAF/A1 MESSAGE; EFF: AS PER REFERENCED MESSAGE, 13 FEB 2009

4) ELIMINATE AUTHORITY TO ATTACH ORGANIZATIONAL CAP TO BDU TROUSER; EFF: IMMEDIATELY

5) UPPER SLEEVE POCKET APPROVED FOR FIRE RESISTANT ABUS AUTHORIZED FOR, AND WORN ONLY IN, THE AOR

C. ACCOUTREMENTS

1) AUTHORIZE AIRMEN MEETING THE CRITERIA FOR, AND AWARDED THE US ARMY PARACHUTE RIGGERS BADGE PERMANENT WEAR OF THAT BADGE ON ALL AUTHORIZED UNIFORM COMBINATIONS. WHEN WEARING THE SUBDUED RIGGERS BADGE ON THE ABU/BDU, THE BADGE WILL BE BLUE (NOT BLACK). WHEN WEARING THE SUBDUED BADGE ON THE DCU, THE BADGE WILL BE BROWN.

2) AUTHORIZE PERMANENT WEAR OF BLACK U.S. ARMY AIR ASSAULT BADGE ON THE BDU, REGARDLESS OF DUTY ASSIGNMENT, UPON GRADUATION FROM AIR ASSAULT SCHOOL

3) AUTHORIZE WEAR OF THE AIR FORCE OFFICE OF SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS DUTY BADGE ON THE SERVICE DRESS UNIFORM AND SUBDUED CLOTH DUTY BADGE ON THE ABU

D. MISCELLANEOUS

1) AUTHORIZE USE OF PERSONAL CELLULAR PHONES WHILE WALKING IN UNIFORM; CELLULAR PHONE MUST BE CONSERVATIVE IN COLOR; WEAR OF HANDS FREE DEVICES WHILE WALKING IN UNIFORM IS PROHIBITED; CELL PHONE MAY BE WORN ON EITHER THE LEFT OR RIGHT SIDE OF UNIFORM; MILITARY CUSTOMS AND COURTESIES APPLY AND TAKE PRECEDENCE

3. APPROVED UNIFORM/DESIGN CHANGES.
WEAR GUIDANCE AND EFFECTIVE DATES WILL BE PROVIDED IN SUPPLEMENTAL MESSAGES. NO ACTION REQUIRED BY MEMBERS AT THIS TIME:

A. UTILITY UNIFORMS

1) WEAR OF FOLIAGE GREEN FLEECE AS AN OUTER GARMENT WITH ABU

2) A FLEECE LINER WITH THE ABILITY TO ZIP INTO THE APECS

3) NCREASE LENGTH OF LOWER LEG POCKET ON ABU TROUSER 1/2 INCH

4) CHANGE FEMALE ABU TROUSER FLY BUTTON?S TO MIRROR MALES

5) ADD SMALL ABU NAME TAPE WITH LAST NAME TO POCKET FLAP ON ALL-PURPOSE ENVIRONMENTAL CLOTHING SYSTEM (APECS)LEFT SLEEVE

6) ALTER ABU SLEEVE PEN POCKET 1/2 INCHTO PREVENT BREAKING WRITING UTENSILS OR PUNCTURES WHILE BENDING ARM

B. PHYSICAL TRAINING GEAR

1) REVISE CURRENT PT GEAR WEAR GUIDANCE TO REFLECT A MORE PROFESSIONAL IMAGE. MAKE STANDARDS MORE IN LINE WITH THE INTENT OF THE UNIFORM

C. MATERNITY UNIFORM

1) AUTHORIZE AN ADDITION OF SIDE BUTTONS THAT UNFOLD A SMALL PORTION OF THE MATERNITY ABU TROUSER.

4. DEFERRED ITEMS AND ITEMS THAT BOARD RECOMMENDED APPROVAL, BUT REQUIRE FURTHER RESEARCH AND/OR DEVELOPMENT. IF ANY ITEM IS LATER APPROVED BY CSAF, WEAR GUIDANCE AND EFFECTIVE DATES WILL BE PROVIDED IN SUPPLEMENTAL MESSAGES; NO ACTION REQUIRED BY MEMBERS AT THIS TIME:

A. UTILITY UNIFORM

1) WEAR OF GREEN CREW NECK SWEATER SIMILAR TO MARINE CORPS UNDER THE ABU

B. MATERNITY UNIFORM

1) ADJUST MATERNITY ABU TO MIRROR REGULAR POCKET PLACEMENT

C. ACCOUTREMENTS

1) OFFICERS ASSIGNED TO COMMAND AND CONTROL (C2) NODES TO WEAR THE C2 BADGE IF APPROVED FOR AWARD BY THE FUNCTIONAL AUTHORITY

5. DISAPPROVALS:

A. THE FOLLOWING INITIATIVES WERE DISAPPROVED:

1) OPTIONAL FLIGHT CAP W/VENTING

2) CORFAM/PATENT LEATHER LOW QUARTERS IN CLOTHING BAG

3) FEMALE AIRMEN TO WEAR MALE BLUE PANTS

4) MAKING LOOSER FITTING SERVICE DRESS TROUSERS

5) CONNECTED STARS FOR 2, 3, AND 4 STAR GENERAL OFFICERS

6) BODY SUIT STYLE SERVICE DRESS BLOUSE FOR FEMALE AIRMEN

7) AUTHORIZE ONLY LOW QUARTERS AND BOOTS FOR FEMALE AIRMEN
WEARING SERVICE DRESS UNIFORMS

8. AUTHORIZE WEAR OF ADDITIONAL OCCUPATIONAL BADGE 1.5" BELOW WELT POCKET ON SERVICE DRESS COAT (THE WEAR OF ONE BADGE IN THAT LOCATION IS STILL AUTHORIZED)

9) MALE "PRINCE CUT" SERVICE DRESS SHIRT SIMILAR TO FEMALE "PRINCESS CUT" SERVICE DRESS SHIRT

10) WEAR OF SILVER "TERM OF SERVICE" STRIPES ON LOWER RIGHT SLEEVE/CUFF AND ORANGE BRAID "DISCHARGE STRIPE" ON THE SERVICE DRESS UNIFORM

11) OFFICER BLACK ?GRADE? STRIPES ON LOWER SLEEVE/CUFF OF SERVICE COAT (1=LT-CAPT; 2=MAJ-COL; 3=GEN OFFICER)

12) WEAR OF ALL, SOME, OR NO RIBBONS ON SERVICE DRESS UNIFORM;

I.E, AIRMEN MUST CONTINUE TO WEAR ALL

13) LONGEVITY STRIPES (HASH MARKS) ON SLEEVE OF SERVICE DRESS
AND MESS DRESS UNIFORMS

14) WEAR OF CREW NECK UNDERSHIRT W/ANY COMBINATION OF SERVICE DRESS UNIFORM

15) REPLACE BLUE TIE/TIE TAB WITH BLACK HERRINGBONE TIE/TIE TAB

16) SMALL BOW TIE TO REPLACE FEMALE TIE TAB ON MESS DRESS

17) "BILLY MITCHELL" STYLE COAT W/FULL SIZE MEDALS AS MESS DRESS UNIFORM/ELIMINATE SEMI-FORMAL UNIFORM

18) WEAR OF AMERICAN FLAG ON THE ABU/DCU/BDU

19) BOONIE HAT W/ABU AND BDU IN ALL GARRISON AND DEPLOYED LOCATIONS (IAW AFI 36-2903, TAB 1.1, THEATER COMMANDERS PRESCRIBE FOR THEATER OF OPERATIONS)

20) DELETE REQUIREMENT TO BLOUSE UTILITY UNIFORM TROUSERS (SEE ITEM 2.B.1 ABOVE, TROUSERS MUST BE TUCKED INTO BOOTS)

21) WEAR OF BRIGHT NON-SUBDUED GRADE INSIGNIA ON ABU CAP IN
NON-DEPLOYED LOCATIONS (ONLY SUBDUED PIN-ON OR SEW-ON RANK AUTHORIZED)

22) WEAR OF PIN-ON OCCUPATIONAL BADGES ON ABUS FOR EASE OF
SANITIZING/CHANGING BADGES

23) WEAR OF ENLISTED RANK ON ABU COLLAR LAPEL

24) WEAR OF SIX-POINT UTILITY CAP

25) PERMANENT REDUCTION OF SLEEVE LENGTH OF ABU (ACCOMPLISHED BY MANUFACTURER)

26) VELCRO IN PLACE OF BUTTONS ON ABU

27) SLANTED CHEST POCKETS ON ABU

28) ONE PIECE UTILITY UNIFORM (SIMILAR TO FLT SUIT) TO REPLACE ABU

29) WEAR OF BERET WITH ABU BY ALL AIRMEN (AFSCS CURRENTLY
AUTHORIZED TO WEAR BERET MAINTAIN AUTHORIZATION IAW 36-2903)

30) EMBROIDERED NAME ON ABU VICE NAME TAPE

31) WEAR OF ORGANIZATIONAL CAPS WITH ABU

32) BLACK SOCKS WITH ABU (SAGE GREEN SOCKS MUST BE WORN WITH THE SAGE GREEN BOOT; TAN OR SAGE SOCKS MUST BE WORN WITH THE TAN BOOT UNTIL 2011)

33) REMOVE TWO LOWER POCKETS ON ABU BLOUSE (TOP)

34) WEAR OF BLUE BELT WITH ABUS

35) REMOVE THIRD ABU CUFF BUTTON, REPLACE OTHER CUFF BUTTON
WITH HOOK AND LOOP VELCRO FASTENERS

36) ADD NAME TAPE SIMILAR TO ABU NAMETAPE TO BACK OF ABU HAT

37) WEAR OF UNIT PATCHES ON ABU (TO INCLUDE SISTER SERVICE PATCHES)

38) WEAR OF ARMY LIGHT GREEN FLEECE WATCH CAP WITH THE ABU

39) DISALLOW SEWING DOWN POCKETS ON ABU (THIS MEANS AIRMEN
ARE STILL AUTHORIZED TO SEW THEM DOWN)

40) WEAR OF ABU CAP WITH ELASTIC BAND

41) ALLOW WEAR OF WATCH CAP WITH ABUS ALONE, VICE WITH APECS (OUTER GARMENTS ARE STILL REQUIRED WITH THE BLACK WATCH CAP)

42) PEN POCKET ON RIGHT SLEEVE OF ABU FOR LEFT-HANDED AIRMEN

43) SMALL POCKET ON ABU TO ACCOMMODATE COMMON ACCESS CARD

44) METAL ZIPPER IN LIEU OF BUTTONS ON ABU TROUSER FLY & BLOUSE

45) ELASTIC BANDS INSIDE BOTTOM OF TROUSERS OF ABU FOR BLOUSING

46) WEAR OF WEAPONS SCHOOL PATCH ON ABUS

47) CREATE ABU FIELD JACKET

48) BLACK LETTERING VICE BLUE ON NAMETAPE/USAF/OCCUPATIONAL
BADGES WORN ON ABU

49) PERMANENT WEAR OF TAN BOOTS VICE SAGE GREEN BOOTS

50) PIXILATED BACKGROUND FOR ENLISTED RANK ON ABU AND ELIMINATE CREASED RANK

51) GREEN UNDERSHIRT WITH ABU

52) BLUE POLAR FLEECE JACKET WITH ABU

53) TAN GLOVES WITH ABU (BLACK AND SAGE GREEN GLOVES ARE
AUTHORIZED WITH APPROPRIATE OUTER GARMENTS)

54) WEAR OF BLACK OR DARK BLUE (MATCHING LETTERING ON NAMETAPE, ETC) UNDERSHIRT WITH ABU

55) WEAR OF COMMANDER?S INSIGNIA ON ABU

56) OLIVE GREEN/BEIGE/TAN BERET IN GARRISON AND MULTI-POINT HAT WITH ABU WHILE DEPLOYED

57) INTERIM WEAR OF DCU UNTIL MANDATORY WEAR DATE OF ABU

58) WEAR OF SPACE BADGE ON UTILITY UNIFORMS

59) REPLACE PIERCED STAR ON ENLISTED CHEVRONS WITH ?US? INSIGNIA FOR AIRMAN TIER; RESERVE PIERCED STAR FOR NCOS

60) WEAR OF FIRST SERGEANT INSIGNIA (DIAMOND) IN THE SAME
MANNER AS COMMANDER?S INSIGNIA

61) DELETE OPTION TO WEAR COMMANDER?S INSIGNIA AS GRADUATED COMMANDER

62) REPLACE CURRENT PT PANTS WITH SNAP/TEAR AWAY PANTS THAT
CAN BE ALSO USED AS SHORTS (REMOVABLE LOWER LEG)

63) BLACK SOCKS WITH PT GEAR

64) HOOD OF PT JACKET SAME AS HOOD ON APECS

65) ZIP OPEN VENTS BELOW POCKETS ON BOTH SIDES OF PT PANTS

66) SILK-FITTED HEADSCARVES WITH PT GEAR

67) REPLACE REFLECTIVE ?V? ON BACK OF PT JACKET WITH AF SYMBOL

68) REMOVE ELASTIC WAIST BAND ON PT JACKET

69) CREATION OF MATERNITY PT UNIFORM

70) ALLOW RETIRED/CIVILIAN MEMBERS TO WEAR PT GEAR WITHOUT
REGARD TO GROOMING STANDARDS

71) AUTHORIZE BEARD/GOATEE WITH SAME INTENT AS MUSTACHE; NEATLY TRIMMED AND TASTEFUL

72) WEAR OF SQUARE DIAMOND EARRINGS FOR FEMALE AIRMEN

73) ALLOW AIRMEN STATIONED OVERSEAS TO HAVE DOUBLE THE HAIR LENGTH AND BULK CURRENTLY AUTHORIZED

74) RESTRICT FINGERNAIL LENGTH TO NO LONGER THAN TIP OF FINGER

75) REVISIT SUPPLEMENTAL CLOTHING ALLOWANCE PAYMENT TO INDIVIDUALS IN SPECIAL DUTY POSITIONS NO LONGER REQUIRED
ADDITIONAL MAINTENANCE DUE TO LOW MAINTENANCE OF ABU

76) AUTHORIZE AIRMEN TO WEAR EARNED SISTER SERVICE PATCHES/BADGES ON ABU WHEN OPERATING WITH SISTER SERVICES

6. THIS MESSAGE PROVIDES CSAF APPROVED CHANGES TO CURRENT AIR FORCE UNIFORMS AND UNIFORM POLICY RESULTING FROM THE 98TH AIR FORCE VIRTUAL UNIFORM BOARD. THE CHANGES WILL BE CODIFIED IN AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2903, DRESS AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL. ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED THROUGH YOUR LOCAL CHAIN OF COMMAND/MAJCOM POINTS OF CONTACT.

RICHARD Y. NEWTON III

LIEUTENANT GENERAL, USAF

DCS, MANPOWER, PERSONNEL & SERVICES[/quote]
Serving since 1987.

notaNCO forever

To bad they didn't authorize neatly trimmed beards and goatees. CAP would have probably of been able to change it to then.

majdomke

Quote from: Stonewall on June 10, 2009, 07:40:37 PM
5. DISAPPROVALS:
Hopefully this means CAP will also remove the ARMY-style reverse flag on our BDU's and Field Uniforms. I'm not trying to be un-America but I am constantly questioned why CAP does this when the AF doesn't. One last throwback to the days of Pineda.

RiverAux

Okay, we have to stop complaining about all the uniform proposals in front of CAP's governing bodies.  Even as bad as we are, apparently the AF is even worse at coming up with proposed changes. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: Lt Domke on June 10, 2009, 07:58:19 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on June 10, 2009, 07:40:37 PM
5. DISAPPROVALS:
Hopefully this means CAP will also remove the ARMY-style reverse flag on our BDU's and Field Uniforms. I'm not trying to be un-America but I am constantly questioned why CAP does this when the AF doesn't. One last throwback to the days of Pineda.

Could it be that CAP is a different organization than the USAF?  We don't have to be their clones.  As for the last reference...I believe those days have come and gone.    Those that still have not moved on really need to 1) look at a calendar, 2) understand that past administrations are gone and 3) accept CAP regs until such times that they are changed.

Sorry, I have never seen the reason for the hatred against the US Flag Patch.  It is an issue that just keeps coming up.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Larry Mangum

Sparky, it is probably not a hatred agaisnt the flag, but rather a desire to be able to wear that a patch on the shirt sleve again.

I use to wear either a ranger school patch there when I was part of MAWG and later the inland sar school or SMC patch. Personally, I don't mind wearing the flag.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Hawk200

It is nice to see that it's not a spate of new items, just some fine tuning on the existing uniforms, with a few new things to make stuff easier for airman.

I am glad to see the rigger and air assault badges approved without restrictions. The Air Force needs more of this for joint ops purposes. That's been needed for a long time. Hopefully, CAP will include such criteria in the next 39-1 release.

I gotta wonder what some people were thinking as far as the list of disapprovals go. Some of those ideas were really stupid, espicially the ones that seemed blatantly anti-female, or just didn't seem like they were considering female airmen.

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 10, 2009, 08:43:13 PMSorry, I have never seen the reason for the hatred against the US Flag Patch.  It is an issue that just keeps coming up.

I doubt there is any actual hatred for the patch itself. It's just that the only branch that wears it on uniforms equivalent to the BDU is the Army. The branch that we're part of (more or less) doesn't do that.
On the flightsuit, it's fitting, as the Air Force does the same thing. But with the BDU, the execution wasn't well thought out. It was said that we shouldn't have 50 or so little CAP's, but one. If the Wing patch had been replaced with the flag, that would have held up. In general, it seemed to be adopted just to do so. And that's the wrong way to do anything.

Stonewall

My biggest gripe is the mandatory tucking in of pants into the boots.  ABU pants are so extra long that it's going to make for a hot and uncomortable situation for people like me. 

I am happy about the Air Assault Badge, but I don't think they'd allow me to wear it on my pocket flap of my ABUs.
Serving since 1987.

majdomke

:clap:
I have no hatred for the US Flag patch, I just don't like wearing a backwards patch that I have to explain to people. The reference to Pineda carries along with the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" catastrophe along with other uniform changes made then reversed after his departure.

RiverAux

Perhaps CAP should consider adopting the Uniform Board concept for our own use.  This would hopefully cut down even more on time wasted by our governing bodies on this issue by cutting out more of the chaff.  I'm talking about a board with some real power and authority, with provision for including regular CAP members (Captain and below).  It would include the electronic comment system USAF uses. 

Stonewall

I was sort of hoping they'd get rid of hats altogether...  Maybe authorize beards, goatees and longer hair.
Serving since 1987.

Spike

Quote39) DISALLOW SEWING DOWN POCKETS ON ABU (THIS MEANS AIRMEN
ARE STILL AUTHORIZED TO SEW THEM DOWN)

What?!?!  Really.....??!?!?! 

Are people in the Air Force so uneducated that they had to explain what "DIS" means in front of the word "ALLOW"??

Anyway....seems like many suggestions made are OK in the Army. 

Walking with a cellphone and talking.......I don't like that one bit. 

Short Field

Quote from: Spike on June 10, 2009, 11:53:02 PM
[Are people in the Air Force so uneducated that they had to explain what "DIS" means in front of the word "ALLOW"??

Or the author of the message is making sure there is no confusion about the item.  In point of fact - people in the military are better educated than people who are not in the military.      http://www.defenselink.mil/News/newsarticle.aspx?id=18635

Quote from: Spike on June 10, 2009, 11:53:02 PM
Walking with a cellphone and talking.......I don't like that one bit. 
Some of them can even chew gum at the same time....
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Gunner C

Shoot, move, communicate;D

EMT-83

Quote from: Stonewall on June 10, 2009, 09:46:12 PM
My biggest gripe is the mandatory tucking in of pants into the boots.

Interesting, since the tag on the boots tells you not to tuck your pants in!

Stonewall

I remember jungle boots saying that, but I'm not sure all boots do.

The good thing is, I'm capable of conforming to silly changes like this on and around base, but if I'm in the field I'll do what I want, just like I always have.

BITA (back in the army) I was made to tuck my pants in while assigned to a particular unit.  I followed orders and drove on, but I always hated having to climb into a big truck or hike up a steep hill and have my tucked in pants either come out from my boots or worse, the pants get pulled down from my waist.

Since then I have ALWAYS worn suspenders in addition to a belt.  This comes in hendy especially when your wearing a drop holster or when your pants become wet and weighted down.

FYI -  Diamondback Tactical has some good low profile suspenders as does www.perrysuspenders.com.

I used Perry Suspenders exclusively when I wore a suit and was armed up.
Serving since 1987.

FW

Quote from: RiverAux on June 10, 2009, 09:55:08 PM
Perhaps CAP should consider adopting the Uniform Board concept for our own use.  This would hopefully cut down even more on time wasted by our governing bodies on this issue by cutting out more of the chaff.  I'm talking about a board with some real power and authority, with provision for including regular CAP members (Captain and below).  It would include the electronic comment system USAF uses.
Ok, for you, it will be done.  Check for updates as time goes by ;D

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on June 11, 2009, 12:16:12 PM
Since then I have ALWAYS worn suspenders in addition to a belt.  This comes in hendy especially when your wearing a drop holster or when your pants become wet and weighted down.

Kirt, you strike me as a "suspenders and belt" kind of guy.

:)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

tjaxe

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 10, 2009, 09:42:30 PM
I gotta wonder what some people were thinking as far as the list of disapprovals go. Some of those ideas were really stupid, espicially the ones that seemed blatantly anti-female, or just didn't seem like they were considering female airmen.

True, true!  Take the example of females wearing male trousers -- male trousers seem to be much more readily available -- and they look a helluva lot more practical than the female version.  Gosh forbid women have back trouser pockets (or even shirt pockets for that matter)! 

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160