Main Menu

A Cover question.

Started by RogueLeader, January 04, 2008, 06:11:32 PM

RogueLeader

I have heard that- in the military, Flight Caps or service caps are not worn after 18.00 hrs.  Is that true?  If so, do we follow that rule in CAP?  If not, should we?

Just so you know,  if I'm ever outside in uniform, I have a cover on.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Don't know who you heard it from, but I've never heard of such a thing in 19 years, and across three components of service (AD Air Force, Air Guard, Army Guard).

I think someone was pulling your leg.

MIKE

I think you are confusing this with some semi-formal and formal uniforms that are worn to functions after 1800 that may not require headgear.
Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

You don't have to wear your service cap while in Army Blues after retreat.  I would imagine that will change when the blues become the standard service dress for the Army.
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 04, 2008, 06:11:32 PM
I have heard that- in the military, Flight Caps or service caps are not worn after 18.00 hrs.  Is that true?  If so, do we follow that rule in CAP?  If not, should we?

Just so you know,  if I'm ever outside in uniform, I have a cover on.

No...that is not true.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

afgeo4

As said, the issue is of US Army Dress Blues uniform which does not require wear of service cap after retreat.

There is no such rule in USAF or CAP and wear of an appropriate cover is required when outside and while on detail.
GEORGE LURYE

AlaskanCadet

well, I know for sure that at some dining out/in awards that take place after 1800 you do not wear your cover.
Just from experience   :)
C/TSgt Bryant

Alaska CAP Rules :)

JayT

Quote from: AlaskanCadet on January 04, 2008, 09:57:14 PM
well, I know for sure that at some dining out/in awards that take place after 1800 you do not wear your cover.
Just from experience   :)

If you're in semi formal uniform, you don't wear a hat anyway.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

afgeo4

Semi-formal and Mess Dress uniforms do not have covers.
GEORGE LURYE

MIKE

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 05, 2008, 08:37:56 AM

in da Air Force.
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

Quote from: MIKE on January 06, 2008, 12:38:57 AM

in da Air Force.

or in da Civil Air Patrol, unless you have something in the regs you'd like to show us
GEORGE LURYE

stillamarine

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 06, 2008, 01:13:14 AM
Quote from: MIKE on January 06, 2008, 12:38:57 AM

in da Air Force.

or in da Civil Air Patrol, unless you have something in the regs you'd like to show us

Well seeing as the the ORIGINAL question asked about it for the military in general, you would do good by specifying which service you speak of. Unless you have knowledge of the other services you would like to show us.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

afgeo4

Technically the question was referring to flight caps/service caps and I believe only USAF wears flight caps. They're called other names in other services. As such, I referred my answer to USAF regulations and how they relate to CAP.
GEORGE LURYE

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 06, 2008, 08:18:01 AM
Technically the question was referring to flight caps/service caps and I believe only USAF wears flight caps. They're called other names in other services. As such, I referred my answer to USAF regulations and how they relate to CAP.

...garrison caps, overseas caps, 'fore-and-aft' caps, and the ever-popular name that shall not be repeated in mixec company! ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

The Air Force only issues flight caps to most ranks as far as I know at present. Been a while since I was AD Air Force, so I'm not sure what the clothing bag is now.

However, the current Air Force Dress and Appearance instruction states that service caps are required for majors and up. Now, in reading the instruction, I don't think it states whether it's required to wear, or just required to have.

Hawk200

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 06, 2008, 02:40:16 PM
...garrison caps, overseas caps, 'fore-and-aft' caps, and the ever-popular name that shall not be repeated in mixec company! ;D

I've heard them called "envelope" caps a few times. Not sure where exactly the term came up, but I haven't heard it that much. The term makes sense in concept, I guess, but it just doesn't seem to work in application.

PHall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 06, 2008, 02:40:16 PM

You're showing you age.  You don't hear that any more, not even in Reserve units.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 06, 2008, 06:02:36 PMHowever, the current Air Force Dress and Appearance instruction states that service caps are required for majors and up. Now, in reading the instruction, I don't think it states whether it's required to wear, or just required to have.

They just have to have one. Wearing it is up to the individual and their commander.