A possible source for truly UNIFORM G/W kit

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, December 27, 2014, 05:47:31 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

And this is legitimate.

The U.S. Power Squadrons apparently get their kit through a place called Commodore Uniform.

They have grey trousers, dark blue two-button blazers and white shirts.

It is a bit pricey, but it looks to me to be in compliance with 39-1 and would at least ensure some "uniformity."

This is not a proposal for changing the uniform.

No pictures, follow the link for yourself.

http://tinyurl.com/cdreuniform
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2014, 05:47:31 AM
And this is legitimate.

The U.S. Power Squadrons apparently get their kit through a place called Commodore Uniform.

They have grey trousers, dark blue two-button blazers and white shirts.

It is a bit pricey, but it looks to me to be in compliance with 39-1 and would at least ensure some "uniformity."

This is not a proposal for changing the uniform.

No pictures, follow the link for yourself.

http://tinyurl.com/cdreuniform
Cyborg.......time and time again you do not understand NHQ's stance on the Grey and Whites and Blazer Uniforms.   Price over uniformity.    While I agree with you a single source....or even a "recommended but not sole source" would be nice....NHQ is not going to adopt a specific uniform for the G/W and Blazer uniforms.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Simplex

Nice! Shirts and slacks are not too bad, but yes, the jackets are a bit pricey.

Private Investigator

Commodore Uniform I could guess would be out of the price range of most seniors unless they owned a yacht.  ::)

Walmart now that is a another story.  :clap:

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2014, 06:50:28 AM
Cyborg.......time and time again you do not understand NHQ's stance on the Grey and Whites and Blazer Uniforms.   Price over uniformity.    While I agree with you a single source....or even a "recommended but not sole source" would be nice....NHQ is not going to adopt a specific uniform for the G/W and Blazer uniforms.

Master Sergeant, my other point besides "uniformity" would be quality.

I know a lot of members get theirs from places like St Vince's, Salvation Army, etc., but I have also seen those bought "on the cheap" looking threadbare (including grey Dockers so threadbare...well, you can almost see what is/isn't being worn beneath and looking as if they had been slept in, security officer shirts with badge eyelets, epaulettes that barely accommodate our rank slides, sewn-in military creases, etc. - all disallowed by the current 39-1.

Maybe I do miss the point of NHQ on the G/W kit, but I don't think I miss the mark entirely.  I don't think TPTB at NHQ ever intended that kit to be a "sloppy dress," and despite my dislike of it, when I wear it, I wear it clean, pressed and with proper badging.

Plus, I'm thinking in terms of "you get what you pay for," generally.  If you pay less for cheap crap, it's going to usually look like cheap crap.

I'm not saying the Commodore offerings aren't a bit dear, but I think they would be better quality and wear better than stuff one would pick up at Wallyworld, etc.

And if it's to be a "uniform," then I at least think it should look uniform.  If that option is all we're stuck with for those who can't wear the USAF options, it may as well at least look reasonably good.

And I don't think (for example) the blazer/trouser combo for $179.95 is a horrible deal, especially since it's much likely to last longer and look better.

Anyway, you can take it off your taxes.

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 27, 2014, 08:48:24 PM
Commodore Uniform I could guess would be out of the price range of most seniors unless they owned a yacht.  ::)

Walmart now that is a another story.  :clap:

I don't shop at Walmart, though I of course know that a lot of people do.

I was only trying to be helpful...I guess I'd better C&D that too. >:(

Suggest changes to the status quo - flames.

Suggest better quality components TO the status quo - flames.

I guess I really don't get it.

No more suggestions on uniforms, period.  Others obviously know more than I do, so as of this moment I defer to them.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Boats are like airplanes, anything remotely connected to them is overpriced...

SarDragon

Both are huge money holes, as is CAP in general, to be honest. But, like religion, many people spend their time and money on them and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on December 28, 2014, 02:27:57 AM
Both are huge money holes, as is CAP in general, to be honest. But, like religion, many people spend their time and money on them and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with them.
Woodrow Wilson Smith,  long my he live!  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

The perfect word in Hawaiian Pidgin English for any uniform thread:

"AINOKEA" ("I don't care.")

Thanks for the source... may be a little pricey but at least we have an option to look decent in a blazer uniform, short of getting custom tailoring from Savile Row! :D

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DoubleSecret

Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2014, 08:55:09 PM
And if it's to be a "uniform," then I at least think it should look uniform.  If that option is all we're stuck with for those who can't wear the USAF options, it may as well at least look reasonably good.

And I don't think (for example) the blazer/trouser combo for $179.95 is a horrible deal, especially since it's much likely to last longer and look better.

Anyway, you can take it off your taxes.

I personally wouldn't attempt to deduct the blazer/trouser combo in its entirety.  See IRS Publication 526:  "Uniforms. You can deduct the cost and upkeep of uniforms that are not suitable for everyday use and that you must wear while performing donated services for a charitable organization."

Blazer and trousers sound suitable for everyday use, once the CAP hardware is removed. 

Note the complete and utter absence of advice in my post.

Eclipse

Quote from: DoubleSecret on December 28, 2014, 04:43:02 PMBlazer and trousers sound suitable for everyday use, once the CAP hardware is removed. 

Not by adults interested in procreating...

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

DoubleSecret-

There was NO advice until this line:

Implied advice on your message: Do Not Post Any Advice!

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Private Investigator

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 28, 2014, 11:56:23 AM
The perfect word in Hawaiian Pidgin English for any uniform thread:

"AINOKEA" ("I don't care.")

Thanks for the source... may be a little pricey but at least we have an option to look decent in a blazer uniform, short of getting custom tailoring from Savile Row! :D

"MAHALO" ("Thank you.")

8)

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

Private Investigator

Hawaiians are hard of hearing. Too much saltwater in the ears.  ;)

Luis R. Ramos

And too much roaring of the waves when surfing?

Squadron Safety Officer

DoubleSecret

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 28, 2014, 10:04:05 PM
DoubleSecret-

There was NO advice until this line:

Implied advice on your message: Do Not Post Any Advice!

It's even worse.  I directly instructed (i.e., advised) people to notice the absence of advice in my post.  Divide by zero error.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret