Main Menu

ABU vs BBDU

Started by JK657, December 15, 2013, 08:21:57 PM

What do you consider more important? Assume that all height/weight grooming standards are still in effect

Having the same field uniform as Air Force (such as ABU)
28 (44.4%)
Having all members in the same field uniform (such as BBDU)
35 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Eclipse

Quote from: shuman14 on December 17, 2013, 03:53:36 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 15, 2013, 11:09:09 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on December 15, 2013, 09:09:45 PMBDUs are starting to run out

Cite, please.

Half a dozen posters on this site have said it.

Haven't seen BDUs in a PX/BX/NEX in a long time either.

Relevance?

The vast majority of our members have no access to MCSS facilities, and
have never used AAFES.

They buy their uniforms commercially, and always have.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

BDUs are not running out, they're just not manufactured on as wide of a scale as before. Websites still sell them, and they are so ubiquitous that I doubt they're going to be hard to find in 30 years.

Panache

Quote from: AngelWings on December 17, 2013, 04:55:29 AM
BDUs are not running out, they're just not manufactured on as wide of a scale as before.

They're still popular with the paintball and, dare I say it, militia crowd.

AngelWings

Quote from: Panache on December 17, 2013, 05:07:40 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on December 17, 2013, 04:55:29 AM
BDUs are not running out, they're just not manufactured on as wide of a scale as before.

They're still popular with the paintball and, dare I say it, militia crowd.
I see many people wear them, from construction workers, people out for a stroll, hunters/outdoorsmen, and practically anyone who wants a relatively comfortable pair of cargo pants.

The "We can't find them!" argument would be valid if you lived in nowhere, USA and couldn't buy from the internet, or if you aren't currently in America.

tribalelder

I'd guess some sizes may become less to unavailable- the xsmall//xshort    for smaller cadets.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

vento

Quote from: tribalelder on December 17, 2013, 01:53:08 PM
I'd guess some sizes may become less to unavailable- the xsmall//xshort    for smaller cadets.

That is not a problem unique to the BDU. It is an universal problem regardless of the the pattern.

a2capt

..and not unsolvable.
Use Google, "kid sizes <insert uniform variety here>" ABU, BDU, ACU..

NIN

Quote from: tribalelder on December 17, 2013, 01:53:08 PM

XS/XS became an issue this time around. Of the 12-13 new cadets in our basic flight this fall, 6-7 were in the XS/XS size category.

20+ years ago, my group supply officer screened a gigantic lot (like 20 or 24 boxes) of brand new jungle fatigue uniforms.  At the time, we were still in pickle suits, and jungles, while tacitly worn as a "field uniform" when nobody was looking, were no-go in the regs.  Every uniform was XS/XS. Apparently they'd langished in some warehouse throughout the remainder of the 70s and 80s because the country that was the intended recipient experienced a regime change in April of 1975.

We couldn't do anything with these uniforms (the supply officer refused to issue them to *anybody* because they weren't authorized.  Then why the hell did you screen 4,000 sets of jungle fatigues?) so there they sat.  Never did see where the remaining 20 or so boxes wound up.

But the supply of "inexpensive to obtain" BDUs thru any non-retail logistics channel is drying up, rapidly. Even eBay.

And I'm here to tell you that you can get a full set of gently used ABUs in various sizes for less than $30 via that same avenue.   And if/when the USAF ditches ABUs for whatever joint uniform, you can bet that there will be ABUs in the logistics pipeline for years.  And CAP & CAP-USAF should be on that like crazy when it does happen.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

skymaster

I have an idea. If we would like to have everyone in the same field uniform, would there be a problem with Multicam? It still has a military link in that variants of that pattern is already in use by some elements of our Armed Forces (including full colour unit patches worn stateside by some USAF units), yet it is, strictly speaking, NOT exclusive to one branch of service, and even though it is used by some military units, is NOT a military-exclusive clothing item. They have been worn for years by civilians who are military cosplayers, as well as paintballers and hunters and the like. They are readily available, about the same price as BDUs, and since they are not exclusively a military uniform, should be easier to procure and approve than ABUs.

ZigZag911

Multicam or any other camouflage is not really suited for GT coordination with aircrews in wooded environments.

Admittedly, navy blue is not an ideal color either.

Eclipse

+1 - As soon as you take service affinity off the table, then whatever is chosen should be mission-suited and not camouflage of any type.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pulsar

Just think, cadets in the mid 20th century were probably constantly discussing when CAP would change from WW2 uniform to BDUs...and we're here to carry on the tradition.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Panache

Quote from: Pulsar on December 17, 2013, 09:51:36 PM
Just think, cadets in the mid 20th century were probably constantly discussing when CAP would change from WW2 uniform to BDUs...and we're here to carry on the tradition.

And in another 100 years, our ancestors will be arguing about if CAP (or its successor) should wear the same Stormtrooper armor as our parent service, or go with the more casual Sith robes.

Eclipse

If science fiction as taught us anything, it's that all clothing in the future will be one-piece jumpsuits.

And honestly, these above would be far more functional then anything CAP is wearing today.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

YGBSM! Functional to work in, maybe, until you have to take a potty break. Then they become a bigger fail than USN 13-button trousers.

Just say no.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 17, 2013, 10:42:16 PM
If science fiction as taught us anything, it's that all clothing in the future will be one-piece jumpsuits.
<snip>
And honestly, these above would be far more functional then anything CAP is wearing today.

Already got that.  I have two.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RiverAux

Re-watch the original ST....

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on December 18, 2013, 12:26:32 AM

Re-watch the original ST....

Rewatch Star Trek Enterprise.

RiverAux

And they saw the error their ways and dropped the jumpsuits (for the most part)

Luis R. Ramos

Another 100 years potty breaks will be eliminated as there will be an optional pill replacing the need to ingest food. No by-products...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer