Why no PT uniform?

Started by SAREXinNY, November 01, 2013, 06:13:40 PM

SAREXinNY

I searched for the topic but I don't see it being previously addressed.

Considering how much PT is stressed in our cadet program, why don't we have a uniform for PT?  We've been doing PT 2-3 times a month in our squadron.  Right now our cadets are showing up in all sorts of different PT gear, and in all different colors.  This isn't a huge issue, but it's always been something I've wondered about.  Personally, I think we would look a lot better and more professional all wearing the same items.  Does anyone know why this isn't something listed in 39-1?

TexasCadet

From the CAPP 52-18

UNIFORMS
You may want to have your cadets train and test in appropriate attire, such as shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers.
Cadets do not have to exercise in a CAP uniform. Still, commanders should not require cadets to purchase
special gear simply to participate in the program.

Huey Driver

There's no prescribed PT uniform in CAPM 39-1. However, every cadet/composite squadron that I know of has a set uniform to some degree. Some might just require certain items, in a specific color. Some might wear a squadron t-shirt. It differs everywhere you go (I believe).
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

TexasCadet

Adding to that, here is what my squadron has authorized for cadets to wear for PT.

Shirt: Black, dark blue, any official CAP shirt (may wear same color long shirt)
Shorts: Black, dark blue (may wear same color long pants)
Socks: Dark color
Shoes: Tennis shoes
Jacket: Dark color

Maybe your squadron could base their PT "uniform" off of it.

Storm Chaser

Some wings prescribe a PT uniform in their supplement to CAPM 39-1, so you may want to check if your wing has a uniform prescribed.

The reason, I suspect, why CAPM 39-1 does not prescribe a set PT uniform is because it would be yet another expense required for our members, especially cadets.

MIKE

Wearing dark colored t-shirts etc as a PT uniform is dumb IMO.  It's a billion degrees out with a blazing sun... Time to PT in black t-shirts and Ranger panties.
Mike Johnston

TexasCadet

Quote from: MIKE on November 01, 2013, 07:18:32 PM
Wearing dark colored t-shirts etc as a PT uniform is dumb IMO.  It's a billion degrees out with a blazing sun... Time to PT in black t-shirts and Ranger panties.

In Texas, you get a brightly colored shirt for the flight you were in at encampment (red for Alpha, blue for Bravo, yellow for Charlie). Most cadets wear those shirts for PT anyways. And to address your concern of the temperature, it is going to be " a billion" degrees no matter what color shirt you wear. After all, this is Texas. It's always hot.

Garibaldi

Well, in my experience, with now several cadet and composite units, the PT uniforms ranged from the CAP t-shirt and shorts, to Air Force t-shirts and shorts, to plain black or white t-shirts and dark shorts, to squadron t-shirts and dark shorts, to whatever the cadets could dig out of their personal stash that was appropriate. In my day, we PT'd in our fatigues and run in boots. Unbloused, of course.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

jeders

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 01, 2013, 07:22:12 PM

In Texas, you get a brightly colored shirt for the flight you were in at encampment (red for Alpha, blue for Bravo, yellow for Charlie). Most cadets wear those shirts for PT anyways. And to address your concern of the temperature, it is going to be " a billion" degrees no matter what color shirt you wear. After all, this is Texas. It's always hot.

True, it's going to be hot. But when the sun is up, you will be several degrees cooler wearing a white shirt than you will wearing a black/blue/red/yellow/green/fuchsia shirt.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TexasCadet

Quote from: jeders on November 01, 2013, 07:46:39 PM
Quote from: TexasCadet on November 01, 2013, 07:22:12 PM

True, it's going to be hot. But when the sun is up, you will be several degrees cooler wearing a white shirt than you will wearing a black/blue/red/yellow/green/fuchsia shirt.

I have yet to find a white CAP shirt. Besides, my squadron has its meetings in the evening. It is cooler then. Plus, since it is later, there is more shade.

Luis R. Ramos

No one  said to wear a "white CAP shirt." Garibaldi said "plain black or white shirt." Jeders said "wearing white shirt."

Actually you can get a white CAP shirt. Order it from a company that creates these shirts. Put your squadron patch on it.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TexasCadet

I never said anyone said to "wear a white CAP shirt". What I did say was I have yet to find a white CAP shirt. However, maybe I can convince my squadron to allow white shirts for PT.

Luis R. Ramos

I still do not understand why would you mention a "white CAP shirt" if no one is stating anything about a white one. Was it that you decided to mention that as part of the message, just out of the blue?

In any event, your squadron can "make" one by ordering it stamped with your squadron patch.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

TexasCadet

People were saying that cadets would be cooler in a white shirt, so I replied that I have yet to find a white CAP shirt. Anyways, I am beginning to feel really stupid for some reason. I think it is time for me to shut up before I get this topic locked.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 01, 2013, 07:22:20 PM
Well, in my experience, with now several cadet and composite units, the PT uniforms ranged from the CAP t-shirt and shorts, to Air Force t-shirts and shorts, to plain black or white t-shirts and dark shorts, to squadron t-shirts and dark shorts, to whatever the cadets could dig out of their personal stash that was appropriate. In my day, we PT'd in our fatigues and run in boots. Unbloused, of course.

I agree with Garibaldi, every Squadron has their own traditions. As a Senior Member I encourage the Cadets no matter what they have on.   ;)

Jaison009

We ran in ours as well. We also did things such as playing capture the flag as a team building/pt activity. Can't quite do those things anymore...ah the things we used to do when we were young, dumb, and wild lol :)
Quote from: Garibaldi on November 01, 2013, 07:22:20 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

raivo

Practically speaking, I think the underlying reason is that you can't really require members of a volunteer organization to own too many different types of uniforms.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

TexasCadet

SAREXinNY

Quote from: raivo on November 04, 2013, 12:04:03 AM
Practically speaking, I think the underlying reason is that you can't really require members of a volunteer organization to own too many different types of uniforms.

Raivo,
I agree with that.  But the big V could put out a darn good PT uniform (shorts/tshirt combo) for about $20.  It would be our cheapest uniform combo when compared to BDU's or service/mess dress.

Private Investigator

Jaison009

That's what I bought mine for. Now if life, school, and work would slow down, I might get to attend a meeting and use it...
Quote from: Private Investigator on November 04, 2013, 03:55:40 AM

I do some PT in this one. At $8.50 it is a good deal.

http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-leisure-t-shirt-grey-p-7349.html

MSG Mac

Quote from: SAREXinNY on November 01, 2013, 06:13:40 PM
I searched for the topic but I don't see it being previously addressed.

Considering how much PT is stressed in our cadet program, why don't we have a uniform for PT?  We've been doing PT 2-3 times a month in our squadron.  Right now our cadets are showing up in all sorts of different PT gear, and in all different colors.  This isn't a huge issue, but it's always been something I've wondered about.  Personally, I think we would look a lot better and more professional all wearing the same items.  Does anyone know why this isn't something listed in 39-1?

Because we're not as rich as you are?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

If everyone is in BDUs and the Cadets take off the jacket and boots, put on their $200 running shoes and we got PT   8)

TexasCadet

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 05, 2013, 03:32:23 AM
If everyone is in BDUs and the Cadets take off the jacket and boots, put on their $200 running shoes and we got PT   8)

How about ABUs? >:D

AirAux

One reason for white or lighter colors is that a lot of squadrons do PT at night...

BillB

Basically the only PT uniform item cadets would have to buy is blue shorts. They already have white T-shirts. And who cares if they wear all different brands of sneakers. However in northern states in the winter each Wing should know what outerwear is needed for the mile run. Most all other PT can be done indoors.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Jaison009

What about their reflective belt? >:D >:D

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

^  :clap:

Reflective belt? I don't need no stinking reflective belt! I got a reflective jacket  8)

Luis R. Ramos

Looking at it the other way...

A Ground Team all of them dressed with these vests will not have to worry about using attraction techniques in a night search, they will be their own attraction technique. Either that or will not need to set up their Christmas Tree!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 07, 2013, 03:51:46 PM
Looking at it the other way...

A Ground Team all of them dressed with these vests will not have to worry about using attraction techniques in a night search, they will be their own attraction technique. Either that or will not need to set up their Christmas Tree!

Flyer

Can't we just carry a christmas tree?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things