Main Menu

ABU's

Started by captearhart, September 09, 2013, 02:35:57 AM

captearhart

A cadet from Wisconsin visited my squadron recently, and he stated that several of the squadrons in and around Wisconsin had already switched over to ABU's.  Is this true?

Hawk200

Quote from: captearhart on September 09, 2013, 02:35:57 AM
A cadet from Wisconsin visited my squadron recently, and he stated that several of the squadrons in and around Wisconsin had already switched over to ABU's.  Is this true?
True? Maybe.

Legal? Not for CAP yet.

abdsp51

I see this going very very badly for some folks.

Flying Pig

Ahhhhh the cadet underground.  I have a friend, who knows a guy who said he overheard someone say.......

OldGuard

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 09, 2013, 03:01:25 AM
Ahhhhh the cadet underground

I remember a day.. Cadet General
Eaker#000 Earhart #8175 Mitchell#21034

a2capt

Quote from: captearhart on September 09, 2013, 02:35:57 AMA cadet from Wisconsin visited my squadron recently, and he stated that several of the squadrons in and around Wisconsin had already switched over to ABU's.  Is this true?
Did he wear them too?

Looking at the units on http://wicap.us - of the ones that have an updated web page, and have photos on it, I don't  see any.

I'm pretty sure these are USAF people: ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606135202744375
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=445333418831147

ironputts

Let rumors die as should this discussion. ABUs are not authorized and anyone wearing one will be dealt with.
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Flying Pig

BillB

There was a time in the late 1940's when Cadet General came up. CAP says it never happened, but there were several (I heard a total of 6) were appointed. I happened to be one.  I got a phone call, from Col. Joe Moody appointing me as a Cadet Brig. General as an advisor. It was never explained advisor to who. A week later I got another phone call from Col Moody saying the grade was not allowed. AFROTC contacted NHQ and said since they didn't have Cadet Generals CAP couldn't have them. Thus ended the one week period where CAP Cadets Generals existed. I heard that CA, TX, NY and IL also appointed cadets to the General grade.
Seems odd that the several Wing Commanders would appoint Cadet Generals without CAP having any record of this.  I made the C/BG insignia by soldering two C/LCol insignia together (4 diamonds), but never got to wear it.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MajorM

That first photos is from our Wing's Ops Eval and those two are USAF evaluators.  The second photos is the CAP-RAP teaching at our 2011 encampment.

Майор Хаткевич

We didn't have the insignia in the 40s, so the appointments must have been after 1965?

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 09, 2013, 03:16:11 PM
We didn't have the insignia in the 40s, so the appointments must have been after 1965?

Which insignia? Pips and diamonds? They existed as CAP grade insignia as far back as 1949, although C/Maj, C/LtCol, and C/Col were temporary ranks until 1964, when they became permanent.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on September 09, 2013, 09:34:23 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 09, 2013, 03:16:11 PM

Which insignia? Pips and diamonds? They existed as CAP grade insignia as far back as 1949, although C/Maj, C/LtCol, and C/Col were temporary ranks until 1964, when they became permanent.

Learn something new every day. I've never seen a picture of a pre-64 cadet with any pips or diamonds...

Critical AOA

Yes, Wisconsin is allowed to wear ABUs.  They also have a wing specific head gear.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

That hat literally makes more sense then the dog bowl or the ranger roll.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 09, 2013, 10:46:50 PM
Yes, Wisconsin is allowed to wear ABUs.  They also have a wing specific head gear.

Cadet officers or Cadet RANGERS  :-\