Why no BDU boonie hat

Started by cap123, August 17, 2013, 10:43:08 PM

cap123

If the blue boonie hat is authorized for the blue uniform, why no BDU boonie for the BDUs? If I work on a flight line I am not permitted to wear a cover per my IC. The issue is I get sun burn on my head and have sores from scratching. The boonie would protect my head and ears a bit and also has the chin strap.

RogueLeader

Because the Air Force, who controls our uniforms said in absolutely clear terms: No!!!
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

vento

This is the reason I wear the BBDU instead of the BDU. The boonie hat simply work much better.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cap123 on August 17, 2013, 10:43:08 PM
If the blue boonie hat is authorized for the blue uniform, why no BDU boonie for the BDUs? If I work on a flight line I am not permitted to wear a cover per my IC. The issue is I get sun burn on my head and have sores from scratching. The boonie would protect my head and ears a bit and also has the chin strap.

...and still wouldn't be allowed on the flight line.

RogueLeader

At NBB, we wore our regular Patrol Caps, on the flightline.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 17, 2013, 11:14:05 PM

I'm just saying, if his IC tells him to take hat/cap/boonie on the flight line, he does it.

PHall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 11:27:14 PM

I'm just saying, if his IC tells him to take hat/cap/boonie on the flight line, he does it.

Actually, it's the "owner" of said flightline that determines if hats are worn on the flightline or not.
The IC can say whatever they want, but if the Airport Manager says no hats then that's it, no hats.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on August 17, 2013, 11:40:46 PM

Actually, it's the "owner" of said flightline that determines if hats are worn on the flightline or not.
The IC can say whatever they want, but if the Airport Manager says no hats then that's it, no hats.

And after splitting some more hairs...looks like the point stands. Boonie or no boonie, it doesn't matter when head-covering-devices are forbidden.

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 11:11:02 PM

How so?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on August 17, 2013, 11:47:41 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 11:11:02 PM

How so?

Quote from: cap123 on August 17, 2013, 10:43:08 PMIf I work on a flight line I am not permitted to wear a cover per my IC

How would the boonie change that OP statement.

LegacyAirman

Mitchell 1969

I wish I had a dollar for every hat/cap that will be worn on flight line, ramps and gate areas at LAX today.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

PHall

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 18, 2013, 01:00:21 PM

I wish I had a dollar for every hat/cap that will be worn on flight line, ramps and gate areas at LAX today.

That's because the Airport Manager at LAX allows hats to be worn on "their" flightline.  This seems to be the norm at most large airports.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PHall on August 18, 2013, 03:32:17 PM

That's because the Airport Manager at LAX allows hats to be worn on "their" flightline.  This seems to be the norm at most large airports.

Actually, I'd be shocked if any of the airport managers I have known at LAX over the last 30+ years ever gave the subject even 5 seconds worth of thought or made any decisions about it whatsoever. It was simply never an issue.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

a2capt

Covers on the flightline are typically done in areas where the only ones on the flightline are pilots walking to mostly high performance aircraft, and ground crews that work up close with said aircraft.

Fits the description of most military flightlines, doesn't it?

The flight cap isn't very good at staying on, has no inbuilt security function, etc.

Most of all, the natural tendency to run after something that falls, drops, etc. is eliminated if there is no hat to fall off, and get blown down the ramp, that suddenly becomes the focal point of the owner and they go after it, right out in front of that fuel truck on the way to the aircraft the were walking to.

But at the end of the day, it's simply policy down to whoever operates that area of operation, and if they say "no hats", then it's No Hats.

If they say "we permit Hello Kitty boonies, sombreros and giraffe hats." then we'er still not wearing them if we're in uniform because that would be .. out of uniform. Wouldn't it? :)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 18, 2013, 05:28:12 PM

Actually, I'd be shocked if any of the airport managers I have known at LAX over the last 30+ years ever gave the subject even 5 seconds worth of thought or made any decisions about it whatsoever. It was simply never an issue.

You really like irrelevant and inconsequential points, don't you?

Critical AOA

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 18, 2013, 05:42:11 PM

Isn't that a requirement to participate on CT?   >:D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PHall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 18, 2013, 05:42:11 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 18, 2013, 05:28:12 PM

He's the Retired Chief of Police for LAX, so he might know a thing or two about the inner workings of LAX.

Майор Хаткевич

And still adds no relevance to the OP.

SarDragon

Just wow!

Having worked a flight line or two in my time, and having closely observed operations at others, I'm going to present some of those observations regarding hats.

There are vastly different styles of flight line/ramp areas: LAX, and other commercial airports, is one; military bases are another; aircraft carriers, not really germane, but a different example; GA airports, our primary focus.

LAX and other commercial airfields are huge sprawling areas, with the workers concentrated in the areas close to the gates. The planes are large, and there's little need for anyone to be close to running engines. Marshaling is at a minimum, since departing aircraft are pushed out with tugs. Incoming planes present few problems, since the wing walkers are well away from the engines. Op(erational) tempo is high, so situational awareness at a higher level. Hats don't seem to be much of a potential problem.

Military bases, for the most part, have smaller planes, in a much larger concentration. The ramp personnel are much closer to the aircraft, and in more immediate danger. Op tempo is similar. Hats have a much higher potential for being problems.

GA airports are our main focus.. We have a bunch of little airplanes, operated by a group of pilots and ground folks with wildly different experience, and varying levels of professionalism. Some of the potential dangers have been noted already. Propellers present their own hazards. Op tempo is erratic, going from back and forth from busy to dead, at uneven intervals.

Not having headgear on CAP flightline, given the specific conditions, is an excellent idea. I can't really see what all the angst is all about.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret