A New Senior Member Sponsor

Started by momofcap1, January 22, 2013, 08:14:30 PM

momofcap1

I have recently joined as a SMS and I am not having a lot of luck with knowing what my uniform should look like I think the aviator shirt and grey pants for dress but what can I wear (being female) in situations where I don't need dress what is CAP appropriate for me polo shirt?
any help with anything concerning do's and don'ts of an SMS would be great.

arajca

SMS? I presume you mean CSM (Cadet Sponsor Member). From CAPR 39-2, Chapter 5, para. 5-1 h.:
QuoteThey may wear any of the CAP distinctive uniforms if desired (and approved by unit commander). However, CSMs may not wear the Air Force-style uniform. If they do not wear a uniform, they will wear clothing appropriate for the circumstances and the distinctive nametag.
The golf shirt or field uniform (aka bbdu(Blue BDU)) is appropriate. You would wear the CAP cloth cutouts on the collar.

Rick-DEL

^Yep, CAP Cutouts as CSM's do not progress through the rank srtucture. But they must complete CPPT.

Sapper168

This is the one time i actually believe the polo uniform would be an appropriate uniform.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Storm Chaser

Are you a Cadet Sponsor or a Reserve/Patron member? These are two similar, but distinct types of memberships. According to CAPR 39-2, Reserve/Patron members cannot wear CAP uniforms. On the other hand, Cadet Sponsor Members (CSM) "may wear any CAP distinctive uniforms if desired (and approved by the unit commander). However, CSMs may not wear the Air Force-style uniform."

Basically, if you're a CSM you may wear the blue field uniform, golf shirt, aviator shirt or blazer combination (as appropriate), as long as your unit commander approves it. If wearing the blue field uniform, you would wear the cloth C.A.P. cutouts, as stated in previous posts, since you can't earn rank with this type of membership. With the aviator shirt, I believe that you would wear the gray CAP epaulets without grade insignia (sold by Vanguard), although I haven't been able to find the reference in CAPM 39-1. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 22, 2013, 11:48:39 PM
With the aviator shirt, I believe that you would wear the gray CAP epaulets without grade insignia (sold by Vanguard), although I haven't been able to find the reference in CAPM 39-1.

No, they were no cutouts, or blank slides on that uniform.

The Blank slides are for Senior Member NCO's.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Storm Chaser

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 22, 2013, 11:51:20 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 22, 2013, 11:48:39 PM
With the aviator shirt, I believe that you would wear the gray CAP epaulets without grade insignia (sold by Vanguard), although I haven't been able to find the reference in CAPM 39-1.

No, they were no cutouts, or blank slides on that uniform.

The Blank slides are for Senior Member NCO's.

I would have no problems agreeing with that statement, except for the fact that CAPM 39-1 doesn't really address Cadet Sponsor Members. Given CAPM 39-1's history of vagueness and contradictions, it's hard to tell what the real answer to that is. Perhaps the new revision will take care of that problem. Cheers!

Eclipse

Blank slides are for NCOs.

It is not hard to tell the answer, and if there is no specific address of Sooner Memebers, there is no address of them.
That does not mean carte blanche "make it up".

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2013, 02:47:04 AM

It is not hard to tell the answer, and if there is no specific address of Sooner Memebers, there is no address of them.

Auto-correct reach up and bite you?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2013, 02:47:04 AM

You may be right; can't argue about something I don't really know. And no, I'm not trying to make things up, thank you very much. I was just trying to find answers. I even stated that I could be wrong about my previous assumption and that someone would correct me if I was.

Form CAPM 39-1:
Service Dress Uniform: "Senior member NCOs and Airmen wear 4-inch cloth chevrons halfway between shoulder seam and elbow bent at 90-degree angle."

Service Uniform: "Senior member NCOs and Airmen wear 3-inch or 3 1/2-inch cloth chevrons on the sleeve or embroidered gray epaulet sleeve. Senior members without grade and NCOs and Airmen wearing chevrons on the sleeve wear the CAP lapel/collar insignia on both sides of collar."

All Service Uniforms: "Senior and cadet members without grade and senior member NCOs and Airmen wearing chevrons on the sleeve wear highly polished metal CAP cutouts on both sides of coat collar."

Aviator Shirt: "Gray CAP epaulet sleeves displaying grade insignia."

I haven't been able to find a reference to the gray blank epaulets for NCOs in CAPM 39-1. Can you please provide the reference that authorizes their wear? Based on the description on the Vanguard site, I would agree that (if authorized) these are meant for NCOs only. Based on the references to the Air Force-style uniform quoted above, it would seem that CAP cutouts would be appropriate. Then again, CAPM 39-1 doesn't mention them for the Aviator Shirt uniform. It also doesn't say that the Aviator Shirt can be used without insignias. If anyone has the answer to this (with an official reference from CAPM 39-1 or ICL), please share with the rest of us.

The bottom line is, whatever uniform is authorized for senior members without grade is most like authorized for cadet sponsor members as well.

Sapper168

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 23, 2013, 04:58:56 AM

The bottom line is, whatever uniform is authorized for senior members without grade is most like authorized for cadet sponsor members as well.

UHHHHhHhhhhh......  no.   Go up to the top of the thread...

Quote from: arajca on January 22, 2013, 08:40:00 PM
SMS? I presume you mean CSM (Cadet Sponsor Member). From CAPR 39-2, Chapter 5, para. 5-1 h.:
QuoteThey may wear any of the CAP distinctive uniforms if desired (and approved by unit commander). However, CSMs may not wear the Air Force-style uniform. If they do not wear a uniform, they will wear clothing appropriate for the circumstances and the distinctive nametag.
The golf shirt or field uniform (aka bbdu(Blue BDU)) is appropriate. You would wear the CAP cloth cutouts on the collar.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

SarDragon

For the AF style uniform:
Quote from: CAPM 39-1, fig 2-3, 2-5 (and others), note 11. Grade Insignia: Senior member officers wear embroidered grade insignia on gray epaulet sleeve. Senior member NCOs and Airmen wear 3-inch or 3 1/2-inch cloth chevrons on the sleeve or embroidered gray epaulet sleeve. Senior members without grade and NCOs and Airmen wearing chevrons on the sleeve wear the CAP lapel/collar insignia on both sides of collar.

For the Aviator shirt uniform:
Quote from: CAPM 39-1, fig 4-2, note 22. Grade Insignia: Gray CAP epaulet sleeves displaying grade insignia.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on January 23, 2013, 06:03:58 AM
UHHHHhHhhhhh......  no.   Go up to the top of the thread...

I meant to say whatever CAP distinctive uniform is authorized for senior members without grade... Thanks for the correction.