Wing "Of The Year" Awards

Started by Jagger3939, September 21, 2012, 07:13:04 AM

Jagger3939

Before anyone jumps on me, this is merely a question since our wing conference is coming up...

If someone wins a "of the year" award at wing level conference, such as Safety Officer of the Year, Aerospace Off. of the year, etc - does that come with a ribbon since its wing? Or just a plaque. Doesn't matter one bit, just a random thought I had.

spacecommand

Of the Year awards Wing, Region and National do not have corresponding ribbons (which is why I like the idea of a CAP recognition ribbon along the lines of the USAF Recognition ribbon  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13807.0 ).

You got a nice plaque to hang on the wall for Wing/Region/National awards.

AirDX

Most (maybe all?) of the OTY awardees at our banquet also received CAP achievement awards.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

spacecommand

It's repetitive to give two different awards for the same acts.  Not to mention an Achievement award might not even be appropriate since you are combining a Wing level "of the year award" with an Achievement Award, which is the lowest non-life saving decoration an individual CAP member can receive.

I'm having deja-vu with this thread:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13807.20

LGM30GMCC

Now, an 'of the year' award could go into the narrative for continuous meritorious service type award. (Not necessarily an MSA, but for being an awesome whatever that is moving on to be a different awesome whatever.)

Critical AOA

I personally would prefer a plaque versus a ribbon.  The plaque is visible to anyone, CAP & non-CAP, who happens to see your "I love me" wall at your home, office or wherever you might hang it.  It could start a good conversation about CAP.  The only time anyone would see your ribbon is when you are wearing an AF uniform and that would be mostly just other CAP members. 

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AdAstra

In California Wing, the custom has been that group nominees for "OTY" awards are given the Commander's Commendation.
Charles Wiest

Cool Mace

Quote from: AdAstra on September 21, 2012, 03:32:16 PM
In California Wing, the custom has been that group nominees for "OTY" awards are given the Commander's Commendation.

I'll never understand why stuff like that happens?

To me, it defaces the award. Also? I've seen people get a Comm Comm for getting things like UC award. Two awards for the same thing is just plain wrong.
This isn't a trophy league. I know it helps keep members and motivates them. But there is a line that needs to be drawn when it comes to some of the awards.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Cool Mace on September 21, 2012, 03:42:52 PM

To me, it defaces the award. Also? I've seen people get a Comm Comm for getting things like UC award. Two awards for the same thing is just plain wrong.
This isn't a trophy league. I know it helps keep members and motivates them. But there is a line that needs to be drawn when it comes to some of the awards.

To me, it makes perfect sense.

1) OTY winners have clearly demonstrated "outstanding duty performance where achievements and services are clearly and unmistakably exceptional when compared to similar achievements and service of members of like rank and responsibility."  There is just a special recognition of their efforts to along with the ribbon, by naming them the best in that group.  You'll see a similar situation in the Air Force where "of the year" winners are frequently awarded an achievement medal, or in the case of an Airman of the year nominated by a major command, a separate ribbon.

2) Commander's Commendations for people in units that got a UC is appropriate as well.  A unit that earns a citation has shown that as a team they have accomplished great things.  At the same time, there are people in the unit that have set themselves apart and most likely led and drove that success.  It would be appropriate to award them with a CCA.

I see it as diminishing the efforts of our volunteers by not awarding them.  To me that's far worse than theoretically diminishing the award.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Cool Mace

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 21, 2012, 04:03:41 PM

1) OTY winners have clearly demonstrated "outstanding duty performance where achievements and services are clearly and unmistakably exceptional when compared to similar achievements and service of members of like rank and responsibility."  There is just a special recognition of their efforts to along with the ribbon, by naming them the best in that group.  You'll see a similar situation in the Air Force where "of the year" winners are frequently awarded an achievement medal, or in the case of an Airman of the year nominated by a major command, a separate ribbon.

2) Commander's Commendations for people in units that got a UC is appropriate as well.  A unit that earns a citation has shown that as a team they have accomplished great things.  At the same time, there are people in the unit that have set themselves apart and most likely led and drove that success.  It would be appropriate to award them with a CCA.

I see it as diminishing the efforts of our volunteers by not awarding them.  To me that's far worse than theoretically diminishing the award.

So two awards for the same action? That doesn't add up. You're already awarded something, why do you need a second award to go along with this first?

If someone has done something to earn a Com Com, then by all means award them. But not for the same thing they were already recognized for. Why stop at just two awards then? Why not three, or more?
Write up the award for something else they did to deserve the award. Otherwise, you're down playing the other.

"SM Joe's squadron is awarded the UC OTY award for all the hard work they have done this past year."
"SM Joe is also awarded a Com Com for all the hard work his squadron has done this past year."

Two awards? Really? Are people that hungry for recognition and ribbons? If so, they need to get their priorities straight.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

spacecommand

In the AF, Enlisted men who are winners of the Outstanding Airman of the Year Award receive the Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon.  Other members in the AF that win various other awards/trophies eg "non-portable" that can't otherwise be worn on the uniform (you can't wear a plaque) can qualify for the Air Force Recognition Ribbon. 

Since you aren't getting another award for the same action, you can consolidate and have recognition if CAP created a CAP Recognition Ribbon similar in line with the Air Force Recognition Ribbon. 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Cool Mace on September 21, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 21, 2012, 04:03:41 PM

So two awards for the same action? That doesn't add up. You're already awarded something, why do you need a second award to go along with this first?

If someone has done something to earn a Com Com, then by all means award them. But not for the same thing they were already recognized for. Why stop at just two awards then? Why not three, or more?
Write up the award for something else they did to deserve the award. Otherwise, you're down playing the other.

"SM Joe's squadron is awarded the UC OTY award for all the hard work they have done this past year."
"SM Joe is also awarded a Com Com for all the hard work his squadron has done this past year."

Two awards? Really? Are people that hungry for recognition and ribbons? If so, they need to get their priorities straight.

In the Unit Citation example, the members of the unit are rewarded -as a unit- for their unified efforts.  "Squadron XYZ is awarded the Unit Citation for their group effort in putting a cadet in space."  "Aerospace Education Officer X is awarded the Commander's Commendation for exemplary leadership of Squadron X's AE program."

Also, I can't say that I've ever awarded myself an award, so I'm not sure how the situation is about being ribbon hungry...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Cool Mace

I think putting him in for AE officer OTY would be a far better fit. Something along those lines, maybe. But not two big awards for the same thing.

Another example. Cadets getting Com Com for making it to region or NCC. They are already awarded a ribbon and bragging rights. (this coming form a former NCC DT cadet)
Why give them another award?
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Cool Mace on September 21, 2012, 05:23:36 PM
I think putting him in for AE officer OTY would be a far better fit. Something along those lines, maybe. But not two big awards for the same thing.

Another example. Cadets getting Com Com for making it to region or NCC. They are already awarded a ribbon and bragging rights. (this coming form a former NCC DT cadet)

I agree with not awarding someone twice for the same action - like you point out about a drill team advancing to Region, so the whole team gets a Commanders' Commendation Award.  That is distinctly rewarding the same thing with two awards.  However, there is a difference between the team earning the NCC ribbon because of their advancement and the team commander getting awarded with a Commanders' Commendation if they did something unusual.  For example, assume that the team was comprised of all cadets below the grade of C/SSgt and the team commander was a C/SSgt in his first year of CAP.  He decides that he wants to have an NCC team, gets the cadets together, runs the practices, teaches the cadets, and successfully leads them to the national competition.  You don't think that a C/SSgt bringing a team of new cadets to NCC is an accomplishment worthy of recognition outside of the NCC ribbon? 

We are supposed to award people for both group accomplishment and individual accomplishment.  You and I know that successful leadership is actually pretty rare, so when a leader successfully leads a group to a positive outcome, we should reward that.  The group gets rewarded for their success and effort, and the person that "made it happen" gets individual recognition to reward their leadership.

Leadership is hard, and usually thankless.  The least we can do is recognize it when it occurs.

Chappie

Back in the day when I was assigned to CAWG HQ, the "of the year" awardee received a plaque and all nominees received a ComCom ribbon.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Cool Mace

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 21, 2012, 05:56:20 PM
Quote from: Cool Mace on September 21, 2012, 05:23:36 PM

I agree with not awarding someone twice for the same action - like you point out about a drill team advancing to Region, so the whole team gets a Commanders' Commendation Award.  That is distinctly rewarding the same thing with two awards.  However, there is a difference between the team earning the NCC ribbon because of their advancement and the team commander getting awarded with a Commanders' Commendation if they did something unusual.  For example, assume that the team was comprised of all cadets below the grade of C/SSgt and the team commander was a C/SSgt in his first year of CAP.  He decides that he wants to have an NCC team, gets the cadets together, runs the practices, teaches the cadets, and successfully leads them to the national competition.  You don't think that a C/SSgt bringing a team of new cadets to NCC is an accomplishment worthy of recognition outside of the NCC ribbon? 

We are supposed to award people for both group accomplishment and individual accomplishment.  You and I know that successful leadership is actually pretty rare, so when a leader successfully leads a group to a positive outcome, we should reward that.  The group gets rewarded for their success and effort, and the person that "made it happen" gets individual recognition to reward their leadership.

Leadership is hard, and usually thankless.  The least we can do is recognize it when it occurs.

I think that would be a little more fair. That's not something you see at all. That is above the normal call of duty. But that's not how it works anymore. A CG can make it to NCC, and the team will still get a Com Com just for that. No more, no less.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

VNY

Quote from: Chappie on September 21, 2012, 06:15:21 PM
Back in the day when I was assigned to CAWG HQ, the "of the year" awardee received a plaque and all nominees received a ComCom ribbon.

I think with the introduction of the achievement award that is what nominees get now - you only get the Com Com if you win.