A note I've made mentally.

Started by AngelWings, July 19, 2012, 03:22:13 AM

AngelWings

As I've grown into leadership positions and have begun a journey to make myself a real man and a real leader, I've noticed something that I've looked back and realized:
Not once has anyone ever complimented me on how sharp my uniform looked with creases and mirror shined boots
Not once has anyone ever said I looked like crap when I got done working and covered in dirt, sludge, grease, whatever elements I've run into
Not once, outside of my blues, has having sharp creases or mirror shined boots/shoes, made me look more professional
That the countless hours I've spent working, losing weight, pushing my squadron to the max and getting things done are what earns more respect
That enforcing standards like so rarely ever make someone work harder on their PT, testing, jobs, D&C, etc.
That even the USAF, outside of HG and CG, never really worried about looking pretty
And lastly...
A good, hard, days work looks a helluva lot cooler than looking like you walked out of the dry cleaners!

Why am I posting this? I'd like other cadets to realize your work is the precedent of how people will judge in CAP, not on how shiny those boots are or how sharp those creases are. Sure, they look great... sometimes, and if you can do it without caring that it will all be for nothing when you finish doing real work is fine with you, than so be it. I am not here to argue the point of shining boots versus nicely polished boots or creases versus wrinkle free, I'm here to inform you that you should strive for hard work and dedication and using your brain for when you decide to put a crease in your shirt or a shine on your boots.

I know, I've been there, putting creases and shining boots seems to be how you may think people will judge you, but I only have gotten kudoses from hard work and dedication, not shined boots and creases. I should've listen to my fellow forum members, they are right on the matter.

(this really only applies for BDU's. The blues are the uniform combos that deserve such attention as they are dress uniforms, not combat/utility uniforms).

Edited for grammar and spelling.

Brad

I agree, and I also look at it like this: you can take meatloaf and dress it up like prime rib, but underneath it is still meatloaf.

The member that can back up their sharp uniform with their sharp conduct is to be valued. In fact that is the very basis to the concepts behind uniform standards within CAP and the military itself: taking pride in your appearance and that attention to detail on something as simple as your dress will - hopefully - lead to the same thing in your character and conduct.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Private Investigator

Quote from: AngelWings on July 19, 2012, 03:22:13 AM
Not once has anyone ever complimented me on how sharp my uniform looked with creases and mirror shined boots

Two reasons; one the leadership is lacking or two, your uniform could look sharper and the boots shiner.   >:D

Flying Pig

You can be one or the other, or you can be both.  In a military environment, or any other para military type environment, if you run around looking unsat, it will get noticed. The reason nobody says anything about your uniform is because the DO notice.

lordmonar

That no one ever complemented you on your uniform is not a good thing......but you have learned the real military story......that what you do is ususaly much more important than how you look.....but even in the military we sometimes get in the "let's make this turd shine" mode from time to time.

And as Flying Pig said......If you run around looking UNSAT you will get noticed.......the lessen here is to learn where UNSAT is.....and realise that the bar is way lower then a lot of cadet organisations place it.

And that is the other lesson.  CAP is a cadet organisation (at least the CP side of it)....and there is not a lot of "job" for most of the cadets at the begginning......and so they focus on the few jobs they have.....looking sharp and marching.......this is not a bad thing.....but they are only two small parts of what cadets should be focusing on.....learning to be leaders.....and that comes from reading your books, promoting and putting those lessons into practice.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

bflynn

In four years in the military, I never got complimented on my uniform.  That isn't what is important.

I got complimented many times on delivering superior results.

Results are what's important.

The OP cadet is right on target.

RogueLeader

In my time Active duty, I've never seen anybody complimented on uniforms.  I have seen/told about uniforms that look bad, including having a squadmate get smoked IN his Class A's.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 19, 2012, 12:08:26 PM
You can be one or the other, or you can be both.  In a military environment, or any other para military type environment, if you run around looking unsat, it will get noticed. The reason nobody says anything about your uniform is because the DO notice.
My uniform always meets regulations, and I even throw in a quick set of creases if I want. My whole point of posting this is that some cadets, one that used to be me, have overdone themselves for little. Me, my uniform looks great. I meet the regulations, and even exceed them. My boots look polished, my pants and shirt are wrinkle free and I put light creases in them. I don't over do it. When cadets overdo it I will hear them at the end of a meeting where we worked hard and got dirty, we all looked like we fell in a puddle of mud "Oh, my boots look like crap. What happened to the shine!" or "My creases aren't there any more". I

To clarify, there is only or two times a cadet ever perfectly crease their BDU's and shine their boots to a mirror shine, one of those being a parade, and the other being if they are for some reason wearing their BDU's in a public relations or recruitment stance, only because they are representing CAP and should give off the best possible appearence. I own a set of perfectly creased BDU pants and top, mirror shined boots, perfectly straight up standing patrol cap, and a perfectly measured set of pins to complete the look. I rarely wear it. And to echo what I've previously stated, everyone should always have a perfect looking blues uniform. I've never been given a good example of why cadets should not have a decent looking blues uniform.

As a last thought, I've observed over the years that the standard rarely reflects in their work. A cadet who only worries about their uniform doesn't get as down and dirty as another cadet who perfectly meets the regulations and looks just as good who'll be exceeding the standards for their job. I come from a unit that isn't an Honor Guard/Color Guard frenzy unit, a Aerospace or Die unit, A ES or get outta here with your BS unit, etc., so I get to see all of the spectrums and as a senior cadet leader, I try to get my unit as well rounded as possible.

Garibaldi

WIWAC, appearance was everything to us. We looked AND acted the part of exemplary cadets. Our uniforms were always perfect, our attitudes were spot on, and we knew what we were doing. Whenever we showed up somewhere, be it a SAREX or visiting another unit, everyone knew who we were and our reputations preceded us. We didn't get many, if any, compliments on our appearance, but [darn]ed if the respect level everyone in GAWG had for us was well above the bar because we knew who we were and what the mission was.

It's called self-discipline. If you pay attention to the details, you will be successful in your mission.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AngelWings

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 19, 2012, 04:34:24 PM
WIWAC, appearance was everything to us. We looked AND acted the part of exemplary cadets. Our uniforms were always perfect, our attitudes were spot on, and we knew what we were doing. Whenever we showed up somewhere, be it a SAREX or visiting another unit, everyone knew who we were and our reputations preceded us. We didn't get many, if any, compliments on our appearance, but [darn]ed if the respect level everyone in GAWG had for us was well above the bar because we knew who we were and what the mission was.

It's called self-discipline. If you pay attention to the details, you will be successful in your mission.
It's a problem today. Self-discipline is lost on some of the youth of CAP, and really badly on today's generation of youth. I can't tell you how many times I've seen, in multiple squadrons, cadets who looked squared away, but they did not meet the needs of the mission at hand. If a cadet wants to obsess about their uniforms looking creased and shined, than I don't care. I'd rather have cadets work on their PT, testing, skills, and whatever they may need to work on for whatever task they pick up. Like supply sergeants working on their supply area, AE airmen working on their AE presesntations with their SM, etc, etc. Self-discipline is hard to teach a youth discipline. It is an American value that should be taught by their parents (like it was to me).

davedove

And that's great, but I interpret the OP's statement to refer to those individuals who put so much emphasis on LOOKING GOOD that they don't have the time or energy left to PERFORM WELL.

Part of professionalism is knowing where to focus most of your effort.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

AngelWings

Quote from: davedove on July 19, 2012, 05:39:14 PM

And that's great, but I interpret the OP's statement to refer to those individuals who put so much emphasis on LOOKING GOOD that they don't have the time or energy left to PERFORM WELL.

Part of professionalism is knowing where to focus most of your effort.
Exactly.

Eclipse

Appearance, bearing, and attitude (among other things) are your prerequisites to participation, without them you don't get a ticket to the game.

Ultimately performance will be the delimiter of success, but the real-world is not M*A*S*H where you get to where a bathrobe and be a smart-pants
to your leaders because you are a great "whatever".  In life there's going to be 100 other great "whatevers" in line for everything you ever want to do.
In most case yo will not even get a return phone call if your resume has coffee rings on it.

Uniforms that get dirty in the field can be changed - mirror shines aren't worn on ground missions, but the boots can be clean and black instead of covered with sand, etc., etc..

One big issue we have in CAP is members who use the "performance over appearance" argument as an excuse to show up looking like yo store your uniform under the back seat of the car all the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2012, 05:47:45 PM
Appearance, bearing, and attitude (among other things) are your prerequisites to participation, without them you don't get a ticket to the game.

Ultimately performance will be the delimiter of success, but the real-world is not M*A*S*H where you get to where a bathrobe and be a smart-pants
to your leaders because you are a great "whatever".  In life there's going to be 100 other great "whatevers" in line for everything you ever want to do.
In most case yo will not even get a return phone call if your resume has coffee rings on it.

Uniforms that get dirty in the field can be changed - mirror shines aren't worn on ground missions, but the boots can be clean and black instead of covered with sand, etc., etc..

One big issue we have in CAP is members who use the "performance over appearance" argument as an excuse to show up looking like yo store your uniform under the back seat of the car all the time.
The key is balance and to adhere to the regulations. Black boots, wrinkle free uniform, patrol cap worn normally, pins on correctly.

Eclipse

Quote from: AngelWings on July 19, 2012, 05:56:27 PMThe key is balance and to adhere to the regulations. Black boots, wrinkle free uniform, patrol cap worn normally, pins on correctly.

Agreed - for some, this is the starting point, for others, a "nice goal"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2012, 05:47:45 PM

I've yet to find a place that wants me to mail in my resume. The only coffee rings on it are probably from the HR manager reviewing it...

drc3david

I agree with what has been said, in general.  However, in regards to CAP, not caring how you look can be short-sighted.

I've been on dozens of ES exercises and missions.  Duty uniforms are just that.  When BDUs become unserviceable, within reason, they become mission uniforms.  Faded, worn, but clean (at least for the initial mission check-in) become used as field uniforms.  In this environment doing your duty will always be what is important.

Back at home base/home unit, how you look is not more important, but just as important.  In a non mission environment, out of respect for the Air Force, Civil Air Patrol, and your squadron, you need to look as best as you can!  Yes, it does take a lot of work to make uniforms sharp.   Whenever I see a cadet who has a sharp uniform, I always thank them for their effort.  I retired from the Air Force after 25 years.  I try to practice proactive leadership.

Those in leadership positions, please look for positive things to annotate on the cadet's 341.

People  visit squadrons to join, and walk away if we look like bums.  Like it or not all military organizations are initially judged by their appearance.

Let's look the best we can, then work better than we look! :)

Hawk200

I'm a little surprised that so few people have never been complimented on uniforms. I have been a few times, mostly in blues. However, I've never looked for those compliments, I've always felt it was appropriate to take the time to look sharp.

I've probably held myself to a higher standard in appearance than I hold others to. I've never expected super sharp creases, or mirror shines, but I take the time to iron mine to look presentable, and put a few coats of polish on boots. It doesn't really take that much time.

AngelWings

Again, I am not saying "do not iron or polish". I am saying "do not make your BDU's look like blues in regards to creases and shine." I iron my uniform and polish my boots and exceed the standard, but not so much that I look my uniform came from a dry cleaner and my boots are made from plastic.

Private Investigator

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 19, 2012, 04:24:15 PM
In my time Active duty, I've never seen anybody complimented on uniforms. 

When I was in the Marines we had a Private (E-1) from Missouri, (R.G.) that had exceptional spit shined boots. One day a Lt Col spotted him and gave him a meritorious promotion on the spot.

I got a few other similar stories but when I got into leadership I recognized others.   8)