Main Menu

8 Point covers

Started by usafcap1, April 18, 2012, 08:48:01 AM

usafcap1

I saw someone in CAP wearing a BDU pattern 8 point cover. Are 8 point covers allowed in CAP? (on the left)

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

NO.

They are specifically prohibited in CAPM 39-1, or one of the ICLs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

supertigerCH

Hmm... well, I don't claim to know very much about anything.  However in regards to that...  no.

I'm sure of it... lol

(Who was this person you saw anyway?  Was it a cadet... or a senior?)

MSG Mac

What they saw was a USMC BDU cap. It is not authorized in the Civil Air Patrol.

CAPM 39-1 BDU Cap: Either the USAF or Army style BDU cap or camouflage BDU baseball cap may be worn
with the BDU uniform. Senior members, cadet NCOs, and airmen do not wear any type of insignia
on the cap. Cadet officers wear the embroidered grade insignia centered 1/2 inch above the visor on
the BDU cap. Cap will not be worn crushed or rolled. Marine style BDU cap is not authorized
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

We used to see those pretty regularly at Encampment and for new members of the squadron up at NSGL.

Cadet Doe loses his hat or needs a new one, and mom and dad figure they can just run into the NEX and grab one quick.

Whoops.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

As a little side note, if there was no EGA on it, it's a Navy cap. Marine caps have the EGA.

I have one sitting in my closet. I bought it at the NEX, not picking up on the difference between the Army/AF version, and the USN/USMC version. Wore it once, and was told to discontinue wear at the soonest possible convenience.   :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SPD6696

Interestingly, the 8 point DCU cover was issued to AF personnel assigned to CENTCOM for wear with the DCU, but the woodland 8 point was not authorized for BDUs.  I never understood that.

I always wore a standard DCU patrol cap when I was conducting uniformed missions.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

usafcap1

Quote from: supertigerCH on April 18, 2012, 10:20:43 AM

It was back when I was visting Dayton, Ohio squadron. It was a Spaatz Cadet.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 18, 2012, 01:07:24 PM
What they saw was a USMC BDU cap. It is not authorized in the Civil Air Patrol.

CAPM 39-1 BDU Cap: Either the USAF or Army style BDU cap or camouflage BDU baseball cap may be worn
with the BDU uniform. Senior members, cadet NCOs, and airmen do not wear any type of insignia
on the cap. Cadet officers wear the embroidered grade insignia centered 1/2 inch above the visor on
the BDU cap. Cap will not be worn crushed or rolled. Marine style BDU cap is not authorized

I didn't think so I just wasn't sure.  8)

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 12:16:39 AM
Quote from: supertigerCH on April 18, 2012, 10:20:43 AM

It was back when I was visting Dayton, Ohio squadron. It was a Spaatz Cadet.

Somehow...I'm very doubtful.

HGjunkie

I have one in a drawer somewhere due to a mix up at MCSS and them not having the regular PC's.

I wore it once or twice before I finally got a regular one, and got chewed out by the non-marine oriented cadets in my old unit.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

abdsp51

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on April 18, 2012, 09:42:24 PM
As a little side note, if there was no EGA on it, it's a Navy cap. Marine caps have the EGA.

I have one with the EGA that I wear on my time, BBQing or at the American Legion Hall.    8)

CAP_Marine

This post reminded me of a funny story. While attending MOS school at Ft Sill, we constantly ran into army drill sergeants who were amazed by our 8 point covers and demanded to know how we did "that" to them. We gave a different answer every time we were asked that ranged from cardboard blocking to sewing, pressing, glueing, etc. I wonder how many patrol caps were mangled as a result? True story.