Main Menu

4-Wide Ribbon Racks

Started by Abby.L, March 20, 2012, 09:02:08 PM

Abby.L

Hello all,
I have been rather interested in the idea of a four wide ribbon rack. I know that ultrathins have this option, but I do not want to spend that much on it. I have been looking at putting four ribbons per row on a 3-wide rack, but that's rather flimsy. Does anyone know where I could get a hold of metal racks with 4 wide? Thanks in advance!  :angel:
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

lordmonar

Vanguard sells a 4 wide ribbon rack

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

They do but they are junk. Order it from Glendale, they are different and stronger. But for four wides I use the plastic make it yourself racks.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Levilockling on March 20, 2012, 09:02:08 PM
Hello all,
I have been rather interested in the idea of a four wide ribbon rack. I know that ultrathins have this option, but I do not want to spend that much on it. I have been looking at putting four ribbons per row on a 3-wide rack, but that's rather flimsy. Does anyone know where I could get a hold of metal racks with 4 wide? Thanks in advance!  :angel:

Do you have enough ribbons to justify it?

lordmonar

A CAP C/2d lt....has 11 acheivement/milestone awards 1 red service, 1 Encampment at a minimum....for 13 ribbons.

That is just on the edge of justifying a four across ribbon rack...depending on the number of badges.

Eclipse

4 wide on a 4-wide rack will just mean you'll become a walking ribbon dispenser for everyone else around you.

4-wide doesn't look right on a USAF jacket because it will extend past the edges of the pocket.  Do you anticipate having so many ribbons
for so long that this will become a real issue?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2012, 09:18:09 PM
4 wide on a 4-wide rack will just mean you'll become a walking ribbon dispenser for everyone else around you.

4-wide doesn't look right on a USAF jacket because it will extend past the edges of the pocket.  Do you anticipate having so many ribbons
Why don't we just let the cadet make his own decision?

He may have enough ribbons to justify it...he may not....either way it is really up to him.

I personally have to go four across to get all of my ribbons on and still have room for my wings and GT badge.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on March 20, 2012, 09:15:51 PM
A CAP C/2d lt....has 11 acheivement/milestone awards 1 red service, 1 Encampment at a minimum....for 13 ribbons.

That is just on the edge of justifying a four across ribbon rack...depending on the number of badges.

I finished as a C/Capt with 15. They actually made quite the nice "brick" as 3 x 5.

Now, granted I've SEEN C/Officers pushing 30, going to four/modified racks didn't become an issue until the collar began to cover the top right ribbon or badges were climbing under shoulder-boards.

Eclipse

Regardless, we really need to pare down the ribbons, or at least let cadets do "some".

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I wear 23, 3 wide, with wings and senior ground team badge without breaking the lapel notch.  Not sure many people would need a 4 across.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

abdsp51

Is he talking about the shirt or the service coat?  If it's the coat he may want to try just staggering the top row/s  to fall within the lapel.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2012, 09:30:00 PM
Regardless, we really need to pare down the ribbons, or at least let cadets do "some".
Or eliminate the stupid "nothing above the notch rule".

But yes....Eliminating the acheivement ribbons would go a long way to fixing the problem.

PHall

You weren't around the last time they tried to "pare down" the number of ribbons worn on the uniform. (i.e. 1970 - 1971)

The rule they tried to use was that when you got your Mitchell Award you took off all of your achievement ribbons. (Curry through Doolittle)

You would have thought that they wanted you to kill your mother the way some folks were complaining! ::)

There were so many complaints from members and parents of cadets that the NB relented and went back to the old rules about a year later.

jeders

Quote from: lordmonar on March 20, 2012, 09:49:08 PM

Here here.

I'm unfortunately in the same boat of needing 4 wide racks to get everything below the notch.
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 20, 2012, 09:07:48 PM
They do but they are junk. Order it from Glendale, they are different and stronger. But for four wides I use the plastic make it yourself racks.
Do you have a link for them?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ßτε

But yes....Eliminating the acheivement ribbons would go a long way to fixing the problem.
The "nothing above the notch rule" doesn't apply to cadets.

manfredvonrichthofen

I had to tailor my jacket so that I could go back to 3 across, four across just won't fit on my chest. But I have to go four without altering my jacket to get them all and GTL and CIB.

lordmonar

Quote from: ß τ ε on March 20, 2012, 10:15:12 PM

The "nothing above the notch rule" doesn't apply to cadets.
That's stupid! 

The more I read and re-read 39-1 the more I think we all just need to ignore it all together!  >:(

Why the hell can't we just have one set of rules......for all uniforms....and all ranks....and press on!

lordmonar

Quote from: jeders on March 20, 2012, 10:09:21 PM

Here here.

I'm unfortunately in the same boat of needing 4 wide racks to get everything below the notch.
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 20, 2012, 09:07:48 PM
Do you have a link for them?

http://www.paradestore.com/SearchResult-drill-parade-rifles.aspx?CategoryID=150&gclid=CNb8or7G9q4CFUgaQgodRkhb0A

FlyTiger77

+1
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

MSG Mac

4 wide will fit exactly on a USAF Service Coat.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 21, 2012, 12:22:06 AM

Depending on the size of the wearer. If he does t have a broad enough chart, they wot fit.

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 21, 2012, 12:22:06 AM

Which coat?   Not the three button.

4 across - hangs over about 1/2 an inch on both sides.

3 Across

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

I do agree with the "Some" rule. That aside, I have 14(Soon to be 15) ribbons, and some of them are starting to get covered by the lapels. I've thought about  staggered ribbons, but if I go 4-wide, it wouldn't be so needed. And about that Glendale link: Where are the 4-wides? I know that Glendale and Vanguard have specific ones for 3, but I've never seen a 4-wide.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013