A Confirmation of Sorts

Started by Dragon 3-2, May 03, 2010, 04:37:50 PM

Dragon 3-2

Hey Guys
I have heard that one is not allowed to roll their BDU sleeves until after memorial day, Now I have been living by this rule since I was a wee cadet, but this latest heat wave up here in NJ, and the lost of my Georgian ability to reflect heat lol; has me wanting to make sure I'm not following a myth.

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

lordmonar

Unless there is specific local guidance (i.e. wing supplement or squadron policy written or unwritten) then there is no specific date for sleeves up/down or short/long sleves on blues.

Back in the day there used to be a Oct-May rule but it no longer is set in stone....it is up to local commanders.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spike

Wow....I love uniform "rules" that are neither based in fact or are "because we always did that way".  If something seems wrong with a uniform rule, there is the option to ask "why".  If the response is "just because".....time to get rid of that uniform rule.   

shorning

Quote from: lordmonar on May 03, 2010, 04:45:02 PM
Back in the day there used to be a Oct-May rule but it no longer is set in stone....it is up to local commanders.

I don't recall CAP ever having a rule like that. 

AirAux

Seems to me that the local commander has the call on that..  Only makes sense, so I may be totally wrong..  But it works for us..

lordmonar

Quote from: shorning on May 03, 2010, 06:27:07 PM

Caught me.... :o  I was talking USAF rules....which is where this stupid myth has floated into CAP uniform history.

AFAIK the Navy is the only service with this old summer/winter rule still in force....and that is because they actually have summer and winter uniforms.

mynetdude

Quote from: lordmonar on May 03, 2010, 06:53:06 PM
Quote from: shorning on May 03, 2010, 06:27:07 PM

Caught me.... :o  I was talking USAF rules....which is where this stupid myth has floated into CAP uniform history.

AFAIK the Navy is the only service with this old summer/winter rule still in force....and that is because they actually have summer and winter uniforms.

I believe the coast guard also has winter/summer clothing too (and so does the USCGAux). Technically so do we, there is summer weight and winter weight BDUs but they look the same.  We don't have a winter version of the AF style service blues.

MIKE

Quote from: mynetdude on May 03, 2010, 07:16:49 PMI believe the coast guard also has winter/summer clothing too (and so does the USCGAux).

Only a few of the uniforms are seasonal... Mostly the whites, white jacket and the Winter Blue Shirt.  Tropical Blue gets worn year round and there is no set rule for sleeve rolling of the ODU.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

Quote from: mynetdude on May 03, 2010, 07:16:49 PMI believe the coast guard also has winter/summer clothing too (and so does the USCGAux). Technically so do we, there is summer weight and winter weight BDUs but they look the same.  We don't have a winter version of the AF style service blues.

Yes...but the USAF never said that you HAD to wear winter weights in the winter and summer weights in the summer.

a2capt

For us it's been by the activity, and declaration with the UOD for the event.  Rolled up always looked neater, for CAP anyway, because they seem to spend the majority of the time in the "up" position, to when they get pulled down it looks like you are a flexible dryer hose.

DC

I have always seen that left that up to the commander of an individual event or meeting. If it's cold, sleeves down, if it's hot, sleeves up. Here in FL we would probably only wear them down for 2-3 months out of the year anyway, and even then it wouldn't be constantly necessary.

mynetdude

I have been to meetings and activities where they have said to remove the blouse instead of rolling the sleeves.

RiverAux

What idiot would try to put a date on something like this?  If its hot, its hot...

NBB0058

And if it's not, it's not..Yippee, we agree..

Stonewall

In the early 90s, and from what I understand, for years prior, National Capital Wing followed the Military District of Washington (MDW) standard, which was something like Oct 15th to May 15th, sleeves down.  Later in my career, it was a career field (MOS) standard that all Infantry types would keep their sleeves down, which I agree with.

As a squadron commander I dictated when sleeves were up and down.  Generally it was seasonal.  I think it's rediculous for people to be different and I never thought rolled sleeves was a good idea.  It defeats the every aspect of the utility uniform.

Dumbest thing I ever saw was a senior member show up to an air show with sleeves rolled up and a boonie hat rolled "Aussie Style".

Pros for sleeves down
1.  Sun protection
2.  Better air flow
3.  Camouflage (obviously not relevant in CAP)
4.  Protection for the elements, especially in the field.
Serving since 1987.

mynetdude

Quote from: Stonewall on May 03, 2010, 11:55:07 PM
In the early 90s, and from what I understand, for years prior, National Capital Wing followed the Military District of Washington (MDW) standard, which was something like Oct 15th to May 15th, sleeves down.  Later in my career, it was a career field (MOS) standard that all Infantry types would keep their sleeves down, which I agree with.

As a squadron commander I dictated when sleeves were up and down.  Generally it was seasonal.  I think it's rediculous for people to be different and I never thought rolled sleeves was a good idea.  It defeats the every aspect of the utility uniform.

Dumbest thing I ever saw was a senior member show up to an air show with sleeves rolled up and a boonie hat rolled "Aussie Style".

Pros for sleeves down
1.  Sun protection
2.  Better air flow
3.  Camouflage (obviously not relevant in CAP)
4.  Protection for the elements, especially in the field.

sleeves down probably do protect you from the elements and its also a good way to trap plenty of heat Want your members dropping like flies when they can't roll up/remove their blouse?

I actually saw a cadet wearing his BDU blouse with sleeves cut off (and frayed), I asked a friend who is in the army she said that BDU blouse are obsolete once the sleeves are cut however she said that in the field you COULD legally have them cut off but you needed to supply yourself with TWO blouses not just one which does not apply to us in CAP in terms of field stuff but cutting off our sleeves would render the blouse no longer part of the CAP uniform.  I can easily take my blouse to a seamstress who can cut and hem the sleeve properly (which would be nice) but again it would be out of regulation as it does not permit such.

MIKE

You can actually stay cooler if you leave them down versus rolling them up.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

When I was a Squadron Commander and now as a DCC....I don't care up or down.....but in formation at meetings everyone is the same.

I leave it up to the flight commanders/Sgts to police it.

In the field...it is what ever is most comfortable for the individual.

I wear my down for sun and enviornmental protection but if one of my team wants his up...I let him.

SarDragon

I NEVER roll my sleeves up, because I burn easily, even with sunscreen. Similarly, I have also never had problems with overheating while wearing BDUs, so i thi nk that's a specious argument. The folks in the Middle East don't seem to have problems with overheating while wearing all those flowing clothes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davedove

Quote from: SarDragon on May 04, 2010, 05:30:22 AM
I NEVER roll my sleeves up, because I burn easily, even with sunscreen. Similarly, I have also never had problems with overheating while wearing BDUs, so i thi nk that's a specious argument. The folks in the Middle East don't seem to have problems with overheating while wearing all those flowing clothes.

It makes a big difference whether it's humid or not.  In a dry environment, like the Middle East, it's better to be covered.  In a humid environment, like the CAP Middle East Region, sleeves up allows for better evaporation and better cooling.

Of course, sleeves down is better protection from the sun. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003