A different way to attach or AKA sew the patches on the BDU's.

Started by Hoorah, March 06, 2010, 01:21:03 AM

Spike

Don't try to take the easy way out.  Just spend the time and sew.  If you don't like that, take it somewhere and pay for another person to sew.  Make an investment in your appearance.

Shortcuts and "half-assed" may work in the short run, but in the long run NEVER work. 

alamrcn

Quote from: SarDragonCouled any of you uniform experts please tell me which reg, and where therein it says that insignia must be sewn on.

And related, I was going to ask if our regs even mention Velcro or "hook/loop material" for any of the flight suits, jump suits, or air crew jackets. I've seen people sew patches and insignia dirrectly to those uniforms, and no one says "You're supposed to use Velcro."

And FWIW...
To interchange patches, I've had an OD "loop" retangle on my right breast pocket, and a disk on my right shoulder for over 15 years. If anyone ever did notice, they never said anything to me about it - and I hang out with a LOT of by-the-book type people!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

Always wondered why the convention was to use velco on flight suits instead of sewing.  Its not like we're going to be changing wing patches, etc. on it any more often than we are on our BDUs.  With that being said, I've always used velcro on my flight suits.  If I ever buy a new one, I'll probably go sew-on though.

But, I'd have to say that unless you trimmed the velcro to match exactly the size of your patch, using velcro on BDUs would look pretty dum -- the excess green material would look horrible against the camo background.  On flight suits it sort of blends in better..

Eclipse

My understanding is that its an evolution of a few different things:

Aircrews may need to quickly "sanitize" their uniforms of insignia should they crash or be captured in hostile territory.

Aircews tend to be somewhat more transient than other troops between units and removing a patch can wreck Nomex.

The old-school leather flightbadges do not stand up well to being washed.

Other than the flightbadges, none of the above applies to CAP and there's really no reason we can't sew patches directly onto the
flightsuits.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Well, I understood why the AF would do it, just didn't get why CAP did it -- other than just wanting to copy what the AF does.  Although, if you got a used flight suit that already had velcro on it (like I did), it made sense to just sew some velcro to your patches. 

SarDragon

I Velcro all my patches on my flight suits because putting them through the wash tends to beat them up. When I got my latest blue "bag", it only had two spots with Velcro - name tag, and right breast. I added additional pieces for both shoulders.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DBlair

Regarding sewing...

I urge members to get an inexpensive sewing machine. For the cost of a tailor sewing on a several patches, you can get yourself a machine that will serve you the rest of your CAP career, and perhaps beyond. (I've even heard of some units having a sewing machine and the supply officer helping cadets by sewing essential patches.)

Financially, it is a one time cost vs. a recurring cost whenever regs change, promotions, getting new uniforms, etc. In the long run, it is cheaper and more convenient than having to bring it to a tailor.

This is something I learned during my Boy Scout and Cadet years. With a machine, it takes me only a brief moment to sew on a patch- and then I know it is positioned exactly as I want it. Not to mention, I don't have to wait for a tailor to do it and I don't have to pay for it to be done. I urge Cadets to take this advice and learn to use a sewing machine- it will serve you well, especially when you become a Cadet Officer.

DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

SarDragon

AMEN!

I've done all of my own CAP sewing since I was 15, and have saved bunches of bucks. Used, simple sewing machines are available for less than $100. Check out the local sewing machine repair place, and they can fix you right up. Many places will  even provide lessons for a reasonable charge.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vmstan

I bought some stuff called "Wonder Under" that you can get at Hobby Lobby for about $2 per yard, which should last you forever. You can cut the pieces to the exact size of the patch and then iron it into place with that stuff on the back. Then stitch the patch down to prevent it from getting washed off, or rubbed off with a pack strap, etc.

You can also get fairly strong transparent thread so you don't have to buy a different color for each type of patch border. As long as you make the stitches small enough (ie, the right size) you'll never notice the difference vs colored thread and it saves you from having to keep a stock of various types. Although I would suggest using a matching blue for the name tapes since they probably would stand out more.

That's how I did it in Boy Scouts back in the day.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

NIN

Quote from: DBlair on March 07, 2010, 09:32:57 PM
Regarding sewing...

I urge members to get an inexpensive sewing machine. For the cost of a tailor sewing on a several patches, you can get yourself a machine that will serve you the rest of your CAP career, and perhaps beyond. (I've even heard of some units having a sewing machine and the supply officer helping cadets by sewing essential patches.)

Financially, it is a one time cost vs. a recurring cost whenever regs change, promotions, getting new uniforms, etc. In the long run, it is cheaper and more convenient than having to bring it to a tailor.

This is something I learned during my Boy Scout and Cadet years. With a machine, it takes me only a brief moment to sew on a patch- and then I know it is positioned exactly as I want it. Not to mention, I don't have to wait for a tailor to do it and I don't have to pay for it to be done. I urge Cadets to take this advice and learn to use a sewing machine- it will serve you well, especially when you become a Cadet Officer.

absolute words of wisdom here.

I was a young C/AB when I was inspected and told that my nametags were sewn on poorly. My grandmother had hand stitched them on, and honestly, they looked like crap. I said "but my grandmother sewed these on!" and my C/CC said "Yeah? Well, your grandmother isn't standing inspection. You are!"

I went home that night, and said "Mom, they said my stuff was sewn on wrong!"  She said "OK, tomorrow I'll teach you how to use the sewing machine and you can do it the right way.. whatever that is.."

That was 1981. I haven't looked back. (except for the fact that my ancient Montgomery-Wards "Signature" table-mounted sewing machine is currently on the fritz.. *sob*)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: Marshalus on March 07, 2010, 10:46:15 PM
I bought some stuff called "Wonder Under" that you can get at Hobby Lobby for about $2 per yard, which should last you forever. You can cut the pieces to the exact size of the patch and then iron it into place with that stuff on the back. Then stitch the patch down to prevent it from getting washed off, or rubbed off with a pack strap, etc.

You can also get fairly strong transparent thread so you don't have to buy a different color for each type of patch border. As long as you make the stitches small enough (ie, the right size) you'll never notice the difference vs colored thread and it saves you from having to keep a stock of various types. Although I would suggest using a matching blue for the name tapes since they probably would stand out more.

If you use this stuff, watch the temperature of your iron. The thread is essentially light weight monofilament fishing line, and will melt if overheated.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

1987 I joined CAP.  Mom sewed on my first set of name tapes and wing patch to my fatigues.  After that, she said "the next one is all you, son".

During the Fall school year of 1987 I enrolled in Home Economics.  I understand it's mandatory now, but it wasn't then.  I learned to sew and at age 14 my mom bought me a sewing machine.  Not only did I sew all my own stuff, but that of my fellow cadets.  I also started sewing gear together too.

Fast forward 4+ years and I'm living in the barracks as an Infantry dude in the Army.  Same sewing machine but a different uniform.  I did all my own sewing in the Army and again, I tooled around with modifying gear.  Still to this day I sew ALL of my own uniforms (now Air Force uniforms), but I have a newer machine that I bought in 2001.  First one lasted 14 years and probably cost about $45.  This one was about $90. 

My wife forgot about my sewing skills and had to go to the Navy base to have some rank sewn to her AF service dress and one blues shirt.  They carged $19.  That's almost 1/4 of the cost of my current sewing machine.  You do the math.  23 years of wearing a CAP, Army, police or Air Force uniform,  My guess is I would have spent at least $1,000 on sewing patches to uniforms.
Serving since 1987.

vmstan

Quote from: SarDragon on March 07, 2010, 11:15:26 PM
Quote from: Marshalus on March 07, 2010, 10:46:15 PM

If you use this stuff, watch the temperature of your iron. The thread is essentially light weight monofilament fishing line, and will melt if overheated.

Very true, forgot to mention that. Also another reason to do matching blue cloth thread on the tapes, where getting wrinkles out would be needed. I don't really iron that hard or hot on anything with patches.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

alamrcn

Quote from: Stonewall1987 I joined CAP.  Mom sewed on my first set of name tapes and wing patch to my fatigues.  After that, she said "the next one is all you, son".

My mommy has does all my uniform insigna since joining in '89!
:clap:

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

cap235629

Quote from: alamrcn on March 08, 2010, 05:52:13 PM
Quote from: Stonewall1987 I joined CAP.  Mom sewed on my first set of name tapes and wing patch to my fatigues.  After that, she said "the next one is all you, son".

My mommy has does all my uniform insigna since joining in '89!
:clap:
I met and married my wife when I was in the Army.  The first time I asked her to sew a patch on my uniform she set the tone for the rest of our marriage..... "I am not in the Army, you are. Here is a needle and thread..."

20 years later I still do ALL the sewing in the house and most of the ironing......

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé