A different way to attach or AKA sew the patches on the BDU's.

Started by Hoorah, March 06, 2010, 01:21:03 AM

Hoorah

I have had so much trouble with sewing the patches on the BDU's .
I recently have found a option to try Velcro like the ABU's are.
What are your opinions?

Stonewall

First, ABUs have zero velcro.

Secondly, not authorized for BDUs in CAP.

/thread
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Hoorah on March 06, 2010, 01:21:03 AM
What are your opinions?
Fact: ABU's do not use Velcro.

Opinion: I wouldn't use it on BDU's. You'll know why the first time you have an incomplete uniform because you forgot to put something back on or lost a piece.

Hoorah

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 06, 2010, 01:41:52 AM
Quote from: Hoorah on March 06, 2010, 01:21:03 AM
What are your opinions?
Fact: ABU's do not use Velcro.

Opinion: I wouldn't use it on BDU's. You'll know why the first time you have an incomplete uniform because you forgot to put something back on or lost a piece.
Just temporary though.

Stonewall

You do realize that IF it was authorized, you would be doing twice as much sewing, right?

Sew velcro to BDUs + sewing velcro to patches.

Just doesn't make sense, nor is it authorized.

Get it?  You can't do it.
Serving since 1987.

Hoorah

Quote from: Stonewall on March 06, 2010, 01:50:27 AM
You do realize that IF it was authorized, you would be doing twice as much sewing, right?

Well  its the apply and take off kind of velcro and I have friends in CAP said that I could do it as long as I sewed it with thread the wing patch and flag patch as long as I did it right away.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Hoorah on March 06, 2010, 01:57:33 AMWell  its the apply and take off kind of velcro and I have friends in CAP said that I could do it as long as I sewed it with thread the wing patch and flag patch as long as I did it right away.
Have those friends show you in a regulation where it's authorized. I suspect that they don't even know which regulation it is. They probably don't know the appropriate ICL's either.

Doing whatever you feel like is the wrong thing. Doing it because the Army does it is wrong. Doing it because your friends said you could is as well.

Do the right thing, follow the publication. Sew things on with the appropriate spacing, that's all spelled out too.

Strick

not practical.   I am looking at getting a maching to sew.  I just got k my BDU'S back from alterations and thet screwed up big time.  I called around and most places here charge anywhere from 6-10 bucks a patch.  I have never used a sewing machine before so Its going to be an intresting activity for me.
[darn]atio memoriae

ßτε

Quote from: Hoorah on March 06, 2010, 01:57:33 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on March 06, 2010, 01:50:27 AM

Well  its the apply and take off kind of velcro and I have friends in CAP said that I could do it as long as I sewed it with thread the wing patch and flag patch as long as I did it right away.

Why did you even bother asking? 

Your friends have already given you the answer you want.

Yet you ask here and argue with the answers you get.

a2capt

Velcro'ed on patches would look ridiculous.

What kind of example would that be setting? No matter what you do it's still 1/8" thick at least, and certainly not flat.

You could use Elmer's glue as a temporary fix and it comes out in the wash. ... or go borrow a seat in front of a sewing machine, or bring someone's mom a coffee and crumbcake to do it for you.

Eclipse

Most patches come with an iron-on backing that can be heated with an iron and hold pretty well.  I've had low-stress uniform
hold for a year or more when its done right.

You can also buy iron-on sizing to affix patches as well. 

The problem with BDU pockets and a machine is that the pockets are usually too small or short to allow for the whole arm to fit, so you almost always have to remove the pocket and reattach for a proper fit.

Which is one of the reason I'm not overly concerned with unit and NCSA patches. If the sizing works, they stay, if not, they don't.

Don't velcro them on.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

OK, first and foremost: always, always, always sew your patches. With a sewing machine.  Always. Not sometimes, not next time. Always.

Second, there is a spray-on water soluble Elmers glue that works *really* well for positioning patches prior to sewing.  Be careful and don't use too much.

But always sew your patches. With a machine.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Hoorah

Hawk200

Quote from: NIN on March 06, 2010, 02:57:28 AM
OK, first and foremost: always, always, always sew your patches. With a sewing machine.  Always. Not sometimes, not next time. Always.

Second, there is a spray-on water soluble Elmers glue that works *really* well for positioning patches prior to sewing.  Be careful and don't use too much.

But always sew your patches. With a machine.
I've done all my own, by hand. Takes a lot longer to do it right, but considering CAP uniforms are needed on a weekly basis, rather than daily, it's not unreasonable.

As to the quality, people swear I've done it by machine, until I show them the backside. It's not sloppy, but the backside of the stitching is obviously not machine done.

I use small pieces of Witch Stitch to hold it in place while sewing it down. Did the same thing while active military. Saved a bundle over the years.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 06, 2010, 03:36:35 AM
I use small pieces of Witch Stitch to hold it in place while sewing it down. Did the same thing while active military. Saved a bundle over the years.

+1 - Best thing ever.  Or if you can't sew, With them down and take the shirt to your tailor and say "sew these down".

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2010, 03:53:37 AM+1 - Best thing ever.  Or if you can't sew, With them down and take the shirt to your tailor and say "sew these down".
Seen that done too, it's the best way to go if you lack the time. As long as they're put on right in the first place, they won't be wrong when you get them back.

EMT-83

I just got my new BDU blouse back from the tailor today, after having the patches sewn on. I had pinned them in place and left a copy of the appropriate page of 39-1, highlighted as needed.

Everything was correct; best 15 bucks I ever spent.

The CyBorg is destroyed

No Velcro on BDU's.  Flight suits/flight jackets/coveralls only.

The stuff I use isn't called Stitch Witch, but it works on the same principle.  It's a fabric adhesive.

I like it especially for the name/CAP tapes and grade insignia, for securing the edges.

However, don't use it without also sewing...it looks silly, and you never know when it'll come off.

I secure the item on with the adhesive and then sew over it.  Works great.

Fortunately I got to be pretty good at sewing when I was a Boy Scout (my mother was arthritic and didn't sew well, so I had to pick the needle up myself).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Playing the devil's advocate here.

Couled any of you uniform experts please tell me which reg, and where therein it says that insignia must be sewn on. I just looked in five different regs (again) and can't find any specific reference to sewn on insignia, except for CAP NCO stripes on shirt and coat sleeves.

That said, I think attaching anything to the BDUs with Velcro would look really dorky.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret