Communications

Started by Schmidty06, February 26, 2005, 07:53:27 PM

Schmidty06

Since communications is an important part of CAP's mission, I think that it would be nice to have a commo thread.  What kind of comm equipment is your wing using?  How well run are your nets?  What is your callsign?  Etc.  Just remember that all CAP frequencies are official use only and should be refered to by their letter-number designators. 

arajca

I am currently serving as COWG Communications Training Officer - in addition to my squadron duties. CO runs a vhf net daily - mostly covering the Denver metro area and some outlaying area which have repeaters linked through microwave relay. Unfortunately, where I live isn't one of those areas. Blue Mesa 191.

For those of you who haven't heard, CAP has a new radio channel/frequency designation program. You can get a copy from the NTC one their secure website. CAP frequencies are not classified, but are consider sensitive and are not to be released to the general public - or even to members who don't need that information. Everyone in Comm realizes the current frequency plan is extremely compromised. The idea is that if we get used to using proper security and usage for our current plan, when the new one comes out in 2008, it will remain secure for more than a couple of days.

The guidelines National has put out for using the frequency designators is 1. don't refer to the frequency you are on by its designator (Hot Dog 999, this is Hot Dog 998 on channel XXX, over.) That gives one channel designator away. 2. use the designators in documents that are for widespread distribution (SAREX Ops plans) 3. use the designators to refer to other channels. The current common practice of referring to repeaters by name is acceptable.

When considering who should have access to the frequency lists, consider what level they are at. Basic ROA card holders do need to know the frequencies, just the channel designators/names. The same applies to MRO's. Most Advanced ROA card holders don't need the frequencies, unless they are purchasing their own radio or programming them for others. CUL's need the information to help complete radio communications plans. Generally, if you are a Communications Officer (not a cadet doing a SDA), you should have the frequency information. It then becomes incumbent upon you to restrict access to those members who actually need it.

If someone come to your unit and tries to get the information under the Freedom of Information Act, don't give it out. There are set procedures for release of information under FOI. Tell them to contact your wing legal officer or wing commander. Members have no authority to give any information out under FOI. And, as the information is sensitive, the frequency list is FOI-proof - meaning a FOI request for the frequency list can legally be refused.

Schmidty06

Right now MTWG is building their Comm net all over again, and we are sans-repeaters at the moment.  I'm Black Granite 117, just incase anyone hears me over the airwaves.  The wing Director of Communications gave all of the ACUT holders a copy of the designator list, since the people at his most recent ACUT class are the people who will be helping him rebuild the comm net. 

Slim

Been in comms for about 15 years, with three different call signs, currently known as Red Robin 472 (also held the longest).

My personal equipment consists of a Tait mobile, with fixed base conversion (second power cord and supply in the house), along with Motorola MT-2000 and Saber handhelds.  Pricey gear, but gets multiple uses as I work in fire/EMS and have trusted the mighty M with my life on more than one occasion.

Our wing is using a multitude of systems currently; Tait and Johnson mobiles, with a few of the Neutecs still in service (in limited applications).  Current handhelds are mostly Johnson Stealths and some corporate owned Vertexs around.  We also have a communications trailer we purchased and outfitted with state grant money.  It's a 28-30 foot toy hauler camper (think of the back half as a garage for motorcycles/quads).  With the installation of a table, shelves and status boards in the back, we have a fully mobile incident command post.  The front half is set up as a living area, with a bed, small office for the IC, a galley (stove, microwave, refridgerator) and a restroom.  It's equipped with: 1 Motorola Micom HF, 2 Johnson VHFs, 1 Icom VHF-Airband, and 25 ISR radios.  It has a 30' telescopic tower attached by a pivot point on the roof (lower it down, ground it, put the antennas on and crank it up).  It usually takes 2-4 people about 60-90 minutes to set it up and get it on the air.  Oh, we also have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 (with cap and 4 door cab) to pull it around with.

The only real disappointment with all this new stuff is those crummy ISR radios.  We used them at encampment for the first time last year, and I was very underwhelmed with their performance.  We used FRS in the past, which wasn't much better, but at least I didn't have reception problems talking to someone four blocks away. 

Slim

Schmidty06

I thought that the EF Johnson Stealths were the mobile/vehicle or base station mount radios, right?  I know that our wing is going to be recieving a whole lot of EF Johnson 5100 Series hand helds, which will be a revolution from our current stock of Motorola Sabres.  Speaking of Sabres, do you know of anywhere that we can get new batteries for cheap or for free?  A good half of the batteries that we have around here are dead or dying. 

Our wing has a comm van which is a converted Air Force ambulance.  Inside it we have one Motorola HF and two or three (can't remember) EF Johnson Stealths for our VHF.  Also on board is the modem for our SSTV unit, and a mobile repeater.  the antenna is a 50' telescoping mast that is broken down and stashed in one of the stretcher holders along the side of the van. 

When it comes to ISR radios, they are only handy when you need to talk to someone who is relatively close to you.  For example, talking to the next person on a search line or your team leader on a ground team.  If you have to talk to someone who is on the other end of a base, or over a hill or two from you, you need to be using VHF instead. 

whatevah

the ISRs aren't that bad for range...  we've gotten a mile out of them.   and, since they are "Intra-Squad", a mile is pleeenty of range.

the most stressful use of the ISRs were at Encampment, where they were on for 16 hours a day. Pretty good battery life, though, changed batteries after about 24 hours of use.  we did have problems with 2 antennas breaking, and one of the volume knobs fell off. the 2 antenna incidents weren't from rough use, either. ::)

ok, for more equipment... we've got a small wing, around 350 members on the books (so, around 100 active), but for the past 13 years, we've had a good DC. We've got 3 repeaters covering most of the state, one mission base at our Wing HQ, radios in two county EOCs and in the state Emergency Management Agency, and a Mobile Command Center.

We used to run a weekly Commanders Call net, and a Communicators net (both VHF), but no support from Commanders and with only 3 or 4 other members with access to radios, so the nets are pretty much dead.

our wing vehicles all have the Tait 2020, and the mobile command center has the taits, a johnson or two, a couple low-band vertex radios, an air band, and a motorola 800mhz radio for the state's network.  You can see pictures of this suff in the photo link above. :)

I'm Diamond Flight 36, our former DC and now Comm Engineer is DF 41, and my mom (the new DC) is DF 4, my bro is DF 406 (squadron call sign)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Slim

Quote from: Schmidty06 on February 27, 2005, 09:10:26 PM
I thought that the EF Johnson Stealths were the mobile/vehicle or base station mount radios, right?  I know that our wing is going to be recieving a whole lot of EF Johnson 5100 Series hand helds, which will be a revolution from our current stock of Motorola Sabres.  Speaking of Sabres, do you know of anywhere that we can get new batteries for cheap or for free?  A good half of the batteries that we have around here are dead or dying. 

You may be right on the Johnsons, I thought the 5100s were mobiles and the Stealth was a handheld.  Being a radio geek, I haven't really had a chance to check them out, other than looking at them briefly.

I recently replaced the battery for my Saber with one on ebay for $20.00.  Another good soource is www.batteryzone.com.  They have both OEM and aftermarket batteries for just about anything you can think of.  Don't be afraid to go with aftermarket to save some coin.  The Motorola OEM battery for my MT-2000 lists at $110, got an aftermarket for $60 and works just as good.

WRT the ISR radios, we had very good luck with battery life, I think I changed mine once during the week.  Then again, we were set up with cadet and command staff using/monitoring ISRs, and senior staff using VHF.  As the encampment XO, most of my business was done on VHF, but had to have availablility for both.  When lugging a Motorola Saber around, the compact size of the ISR was a definite benefit.  We also had some problems with antenna breakage, which I contribute to a very poor design.  Can't rotate it up and leave it there (or risk breaking it), but constantly rotating it into the proper position for use puts a strain on the connection (which risks breakage)--a classic catch 22.

They are essentially a modified version of an existing FRS radio (IC-4800 IIRC).  You would think, given the nature of their intended use, and the end user, that Icom would have made the thing virtually indestructable.

Slim

pwarber

All of the units in Alaska are getting updated radios.
For the unit I'm with.
There is a EF Johnson VHF, Motorola Milcom-2, Icom IC-A200 and soon to have a few IC-4008M. All radios are working great except the HF antenna. This winter was hard on it. So it will be replaced in a month or so.
There is also a Acut class for all the senior members and cadets that want to take it.
My callsign is Sourdough 7604.

Schmidty06

I'd like to buy myself an ISR radio, do you have any suggestions and prices for a unit to buy? 

CAPSGT

Last I heard, you actually have to order ISR radios through your wing director of communications since the ISR frequencies are not available to the general public.  They run around $85 or so according to the communications page on the Wisconsin Wing website http://www.wiwg.cap.gov/comm/Equipment/isr/isrindex.htm
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

pixelwonk

Quote from: CAPSGT on March 30, 2005, 04:23:40 PM
  They run around $85 or so according to the communications page on the Wisconsin Wing website http://www.wiwg.cap.gov/comm/Equipment/isr/isrindex.htm

I wouldn't take that as gold, but merely a guideline.  That was created in '02 and hasn't been updated since.  The old wing comm director put that up himself during wiwg.cap.gov's 'fugly' years and I can't get it off the site because of FTP permissions.

Nevertheless it will be gone when we switch domains and webhosts in early May.  If you're serious about ISR, I'd contact your wing Comm Director.

abysmal

So, how do we go about getting ISR Radios??
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

whatevah

well, if you want the Icom 4008M (the model CAP bought in bulk), you'll most likely have to buy it through a distributor.  look up your state at http://www.icomamerica.com/dealers/ and call around, I suppose.

the 4008M is a modified version of the civilian FRS radio, so make sure you get the M model.

I don't know what other ISR models are out there.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Sqd613

I work with the group com. officer.  We are trying to Figure out how we will meet the needs when the older radios are no longer able to be used.  One major problem is having a radio issued to you is seen, by some, as a symbol of how important you are.   I for one feel that if a station does not check in on the net ( we have five a week) on average at least once a week the radio should be pulled and moved to someone who will use it.   We have three Mobile radios in use Tait CAP-2020,  Kenwood TK-760(G) and Johnsons from national.  We also have a number of portables mostly Vertex VX-400's. The squadron purchased three Uniden SP-55's as have a number of members,  unfortunately they are no longer in production.

I am currently Penncap 141.

MIKE

I got a chance to use the ISR radios last summer at encampment... They are neat radios and probably work great for what they were intended for, but I did not find them very useful for our purposes at encampment.
Mike Johnston

whatevah

cool, a PennCAP station.  we check into the Group 3 nets a lot.

At our last encampment, we assigned 14 ISR radios and they worked great around the class/barracks area.  There were a few slight problems at the obstacle course, since the far ends were almost a mile apart and in a forest (hills, lots of trees), but better than expected given the operating frequencies and transmitter power.  Obviously, each wing/group will have their own needs. Sure is a lot better than lugging around the old bricks, though.  ;)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Slim

Quote from: whatevah on March 31, 2005, 07:49:23 PM
Sure is a lot better than lugging around the old bricks, though.  ;)

Hey, now....Some of us are perfectly happy lugging a brick around.    ;D

Slim

whatevah

hehe  well, they are lighter than my camera gear.   :o
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MurDog

Finally, i found the Comm thread! Well, currently I serve as the Burlington squadron Comm officer. The Squadron is in charge of conducting the Tuesday evening nets on our northern most repeater. If you're in the area I encourage check-ins please. I was recently asked to become the Wing Assistant Comm officer, which i will be accepting.
For gear we have some Taits, mostly the new EF Johnson gear. Our wing was on a freeze, we had some issues with our last comm officer. VTWG just got a boat load of the new EF Johnson hand helds and the Icom 4008M. Nice little radios, haven't gotten a chance to mess with them to much, but the plan is break them in real soon.
Personal gear I have a compliant Kenwood TK-272. If anyone has Kenwood commercial, I have the Windows XP version of the memory control software. It will program just about any Kenwood commercial rig, HT or mobile.
At the house I have modded ham rigs, as I am a ham operator, my call is N1ZWL. In the car I've got a Kenwood TM-261 and in the house I have the new TM-271, it has the fancy WX alert which works really well.
My CAP call sign is VT CAP 504, but listen for VT CAP 10 conducting a VHF net every Tuesday 1830 local time or 2230 Zulu. It may not be my voice as I am teaching cadets how to conduct nets.
Hope to catch you on the air!
AJ Murray Jr., 1st Lt CAP
Emergency Services Officer
NER-VT-005

Deputy Commander
2005 VTWG Encampment

Major Lord

The key to ISR radios, as well as FRS radios, is to either find a cadet and put him on a roof or tree to act as a relay station, or buy a "simplex" repeater and put it as high off the ground as possible.

You can make a legal "base station" for your FRS or ISR radio by making an extended microphone able and taping the radio to a pole.

Too bad that they don't make the Rhino GPS RFS radio on ISR!

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."