Cedar Rapids, Iowa, just flooded

Started by capchiro, June 12, 2008, 05:59:13 PM

capchiro

News flash, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, just flooded, levee broke and Cedar River has flooded 100 city blocks.  Power is out and rescuers are hampered.  I am sure the CAP will jump in and get active.  How about somebody keeping us updated on this one??  Thanks.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

♠SARKID♠

WIWG is working on getting missions for our own floods.  Lake Delton near the Wisconsin Dells did the same thing as Cedar River.  A 276 acre lake busted its berm and drained into the Wisconsin River, taking away 6 homes.

isuhawkeye

so, is there a CAP response to these events???

CAP Producer

CAP has been very involved.

This is the inital release and another is coming.

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/news/cap_news_online/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=4311&year=2008&month=6

Iowa Wing is manning their desk at the state EOC and are getting taskings from the state each day.

More later.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

isuhawkeye

isuhawkeye

that press release was dated june 6th.  has anything happened in the last week.  lord knows I have been busy

Steve Kuddes

The Iowa Wing has flown several sorties including today, Friday June 13, 2008.  Today's sorties included about 150 pictures to update the EOC and AG on the situation.

The Eastern Iowa Cadet Squadron in Cedar Rapids has lost their meeting facility in downtown Cedar Rapids so they are meeting at the Red Cross facility where the North Central Region HQ is located.  They have assisted the Red Cross in unloading trucks of supplies.

Yes, CAP is helping in Iowa!

Steve W. Kuddes, Colonel, CAP
Commander, North Central Region

ctrossen

Wisconsin Wing is deep in the middle of what is primarily a ground response in our own state. We've got some 50 personnel in the Sauk County, WI to assist with disaster relief efforts in the area (with more on the way). The press release below has some of the pertinent info (forgive the formatting--I tried to clean it up a bit from the single paragraph I received in e-mail).

QuoteWisconsin Wing Headquarters Civil Air Patrol UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY 2400 Wright Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53704-2572 (608) 242-3067 Fax (608) 242-3068 PRESS RELEASE 13 June 2008 POC: Lt Col Jo Stys Cell Phone 414-322-2717 Email: semperv@earthlink.net

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Wisconsin Emergency Management has assigned Wisconsin Wing Civil Air Patrol to assist the Department of Natural Resources as the lead federal agency in cooperation with the Sauk County Emergency Management, in the volunteer effort to assist the local communities who have been affected by the flooding throughout Sauk County. 

Wisconsin Wing Civil Air Patrol's Mobile Command Center has been brought to Baraboo to provide communications assistance to the DNR, Sauk County Emergency Management, and local sheriff, police, and fire department personnel.  Civil Air Patrol emergency services personnel from around the state will be assisting in coordinating the relief efforts.

Those interested in volunteering should report directly to the Baraboo Middle School (1531 Draper St.) Saturday & Sunday, June 14-15th.  Shifts will run from 9:00 a.m. and end at 5:00 p.m. with an option to work a half day (please note: the last bus will depart at 1:00 p.m.).  Volunteers will be transported on a bus to local businesses and residences to perform a variety of tasks such as debris removal, water damage clean-up, or sandbagging. Volunteer efforts will continue to be managed by the DNR through the weekend during the recovery stage until further notice. 

Anyone interested in receiving volunteer assistance should continue to call the Hotline at 608-355-3200.  For questions specific to the civilian volunteer efforts through Sunday, please contact Greg Matthews, DNR Information Officer at 608-444-6551. 

The Civil Air Patrol mission #08-1-5884 will last thru Friday, 20 June 2008.  The Civil Air Patrol Incident Commander is Lt Col Michael Curry, phone 414-861-2509.   Lt Col Curry will be IC through Monday, 16 June 2008.  Released in cooperation with Catherine Regan, DNR. JO STYS, Lt Col, CAP Wing Assistant Public Affairs Officer Wisconsin Wing.
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

isuhawkeye

I just returned from the SEOC.  The state wide severe weather has everyone hopping.  Virtually every agency, and entity has representatives working incredibly heard.  You will be glad to know that CAP has retaken its seat in "the pit" Lt Col. Eric Schneider is working very hard on your behalf.  he is fielding calls from agencies, AFRCC, and others.  while I was there CAP photos were projected on the big screens giving planners a chance to look at the next town down stream.  Lt Col Schneider was also tasking and redirecting aircraft to support an urgent AFRCC request.  Overall this is a busy time. 

♠SARKID♠

Just got back from responding to the WI flooding - MAN IS IT FILTHY!

We helped two families clean out their homes.  The first was a volunteer firefighter who needed help gutting his kitchen and sons room, removing carpet, and well as removing anything that was lower than a half foot off the floor.  I felt really bad as I shoved his nine year old's toys into a plastic bag and tossed them out the door...
Second house we had to remove anything and everything.  My furniture moving skills definitely came in good use as we hauled soggy couches and dressers out the door.  The basement still had three to four feet of water sitting in it (we did no work there).  The ironic thing was the big, yellow, smiley face beach ball cheerily smiling back to the top of the stairs.

Theres a definite feeling of satisfaction that came out of it.  I got the opportunity to help someone when they had lost everything they would have needed to help themselves.  Bravo Zulu to all the teams who are out doing the dirty work all over the midwest.

Eclipse

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on June 15, 2008, 04:19:13 AM

Has Wisconsin been declared a presidential disaster area?  I'm pretty sure the gov'na declared a state emergency, but that doesn't qualify.  Also, you don't just get a ribbon, the IC has to verify your participation.

Also, I though CAP in Iowa was the primary SAR/DR agency for the whole wing, shouldn't' we be seeing more activity than a few photo sorties?  That's the knd of thing we do one state East all the time and we are far from being at the top of the list.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

QuoteHas Wisconsin been declared a presidential disaster area?  I'm pretty sure the gov'na declared a state emergency, but that doesn't qualify.

Indeed it has.

QuoteAlso, you don't just get a ribbon, the IC has to verify your participation.

I wasn't claiming to have it, just showing it was Presidential.  And even if I was, I'm in multiple logs (WEM, CAP) saying I was there so it would pretty much be a given.

Eclipse

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on June 15, 2008, 04:32:57 AM
QuoteHas Wisconsin been declared a presidential disaster area?  I'm pretty sure the gov'na declared a state emergency, but that doesn't qualify.

Indeed it has.

QuoteAlso, you don't just get a ribbon, the IC has to verify your participation.

I wasn't claiming to have it, just showing it was Presidential.  And even if I was, I'm in multiple logs (WEM, CAP) saying I was there so it would pretty much be a given.

Its not - a form 2a has to be approved up the chain (Wing?) if you qualify.  I'm not saying you don't, just don't show up wearing it at your next meeting without the signed PA.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

I wouldn't, that would be a bit daft.

CadetProgramGuy

This is from the local newspaper.  It is a video of Cedar Rapids before and after the flooding.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=videonetwork&videoID=770983328

When you see the clip of the "Island" where the courthouse is.....

Thats where the 78th Cadet Squadron (East Iowa Cadet Squadron) used to be.

In Retrospect though, I am still waiting on activation orders (as allowed by state law) to leave work and help.  Otherwise I can't leave work.

My hearts and Prayers go out.

CAP Producer

Here is the latest info from the NCR/CC

Quote from: Col Steve KuddesMembers of the North Central Region,

Facing what many are calling the five-hundred year flood members of the Iowa Wing have flown fifteen missions and delivered approximately 900 photographs supporting the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division (HSEMD) along with the National Weather Service. Mission sorties include the transportation of U.S. Senators Tom Harkin and Charles Grassley, photo reconnaissance, and manning both the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) and the security desk at Linn County Emergency Management Agency.

The professionalism and dedication of the members of the IAWG and it's commander is very evident by their actions. They have done an outstanding job of being proactive in a difficult situation.

Senators Harkin and Grassley visited several cities that are affected by the flooding and held press conferences at each of the locations. "This was an important job for the Civil Air Patrol," said Captain Kim Kirschman, the mission pilot who transported the Senators across the state. "We were able to meet the needs of the senators on short notice which allowed them to maintain their schedule."  We are honored to be able the fly both Senators for this important assessment of the damage to their state.

Over eighty of the Iowa's ninety-nine counties have been declared disaster areas by Iowa Governor Chet Culver. By being designated as a disaster area, the counties become eligible for special aid and opens the way for loans and grants.  Flooding has forced the evacuation of several areas across the state, including hospitals and retirement homes.

The dynamics of the mission have changed from general photo reconnaissance to focusing specifically on critical infrastructure in affected areas. "Photos from the CAP flyover provide local responders with critical information to help them make decisions based on potential flooding, said Joyce Flinn, from the HSEMD. "Partnership with Civil Air Patrol provides us with a valuable resource that can provide critical information in both response and recovery."

We have also had flooding in Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas. I ask you to check your gear and make sure you are ready if called to serve. Please do not self activate. Your chain of command will let you know if your wing/unit has been asked to help.  Many members have expressed interest in helping but at this point there isn't much that can be done except our photo recon flights.  Many highways into the area are blocked making access impossible.  When and if the time comes, the Iowa Wing will request any help that is needed and this will be coordinated through Colonel Joe Casler and our Wing Commanders.

The flooding has also impacted the Iowa Wing as the Eastern Iowa Cadet Squadron has lost their meeting facility in downtown Cedar Rapids so they are meeting at the Red Cross facility where the North Central Region HQ is located.  At some point we may put together a joint effort by all of our Wings and the Region HQs to help our Iowa Squadron obtain the materials they need to function again.  Uniforms, a United States flag, etc are a few things that come to mind at this time.

We will periodically update you on our efforts in this crisis.

Please keep the victims of this disaster and especially our brothers and sisters of the Iowa Wing in your thoughts and prayers. 

Steve W. Kuddes, Colonel, CAP
Commander, North Central Region, Civil Air Patrol
AL PABON, Major, CAP

isuhawkeye

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

CAP Producer

NCR has set up a website with information on CAP's involvement in the "500 Year" floods that have overwhelmed Iowa.

The site can be accessed via the NCR website www.ncr.cap.gov and click on the 2008 Iowa Floods - CAP Responds! link. It can also be accessed at www.ncrpao.org

At this site we will post releases, updates and images highlighting CAP's involvement and the good work our members are doing. We will try to update the site daily.

Please let your members know about this site and keep the people of Iowa in yout thoughts and prayers.

Thanks and have a great day.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

KC0IEA

I spent part of yesterday at the State of Iowa EOC, yes CAP was there, BUT.....
The NCR wedsite indicates they have delivered over 900 images to the SEOC, probably true, but the USCG AUX spent much of their time working with the IDNR to figure out where the images were taken and what direction.  Images out of context are of very little use in disaster assessment.  As an example one file with in excess of 30 images was labled as flight from XX to YY a flight path of over 100 miles, images only had an image number, so at least there was an assumed order.